Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Use Wordplay In Your Songwriting

• Noob

Wordplay is the ability to cleverly manipulate the meanings of words. This literary technique is commonly associated with rapping and hip hop. Rappers like Eminem,Nas,Kendrick,Biggie,Lupe, and Big L have some of the best wordplay in the history of rap. In this article, I'm going to give you the three steps to becoming better at using wordplay.

1.Read The Dictionary

If you want become better at wordplay, studying words and their definitions is a good first step. Strengthening your vocabulary will make it easier to think of smart and creative ways to play with words. The more words you know, the more potent your wordplay will be in the long term.

2.Study Wordplay Examples

On of the best ways to improve  a skill, is by studying.Study verses and poems that employ wordplay to learn how to properly utilize the technique. Studying examples of the technique will make you more comfortable with employing it in your own music. Moreover, here are some great examples of wordplay that I thought of myself: People still steal using the still,Spend a mill on a meal, Tell tales of chasing tails, and My cells in a cell because I chose to sell.

3.Practice

The last step in mastering wordplay is practice. You must make it a high priority to incorporate wordplay in your lyrics. The more you practice, the better you will ultimately get. Repetition and constant practice will enhance the cleverness and complexity of your wordplay.