Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is Your Studio Set Up?

@Glammerocity whoosh, you've gone right over my head. I see now it's all Greek to me. I'm just the singer... LOL I wish I had more knowledge on the recording and editing side but not right now.

@Roymega your set up has a few more gadgets than mine but there are similarities!

4 hours ago, starise said:

Nice setups. It doesn't take much now to record, at least not as much as it once did. Simple isn't bad.

Ain't that the truth! Great time to be an artist 😁

11 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

@Glammerocity whoosh, you've gone right over my head. I see now it's all Greek to me. I'm just the singer... LOL I wish I had more knowledge on the recording and editing side but not right now.

Cutting/Splitting is one of the basic video functions in VSDC. All will become clear once you try it.

Ignore the 2nd part of my post, I was just adding Reason to my list, it has nothing to do with the video editing.

A mate of mine recently asked about bouncing. When I told him I felt like a proper sound injun-ear.

17 hours ago, Rudi said:

A mate of mine recently asked about bouncing. When I told him I felt like a proper sound injun-ear.

That takes me back to my old Revox B77 days: record onto one track, then bounce it to the other track while adding another instrument, then bounce and bounce and bounce again. There was some degeneration, obviously, so you'd learn to compensate. I also found I could get a delay effect by leaving the speakers on. Necessity = mother of invention.

2029303832_StudioPic.thumb.jpg.ba1970a083dbcc163ec5a6cbe78e0af2.jpg

Not everything listed below is in the pic but you'll get the idea. (...and the shiny leather pants on the chair belongs to my wife ok?!?!) 😎

Set up is as:

Mics:

Miktek CV4

Golden Age Project R1 MKIII (active ribbon)

Line Audio CM3 Stereo pair

Shure SM7b

Shure Green Bullet

Pre amp:

Universal Audio LA-610 MKII

DAW and sound:

Logic Pro X and Apogee Duet

Monitors:

KRK Rokit 5

Electric guitars:

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Stratocaster

Acoustic guitars:

Gibson Hummingbird pro

Washburn vintage parlor

Dobro Hound dog

Ibanez Tenor guitar

Some old Cort

Some old Yamaha

2 different sized nylon guitars

Electric bass:

Fender Road Worn Precision bass

Fender Precision bass

Epiphone 5 string Banjo

Ukulele

12 Harmonicas

Various hand percussion

Cajon

An old african drum

And a somewhat treated room, it will never ever be great but it's lesser bad as is. I've got a bunch of these on my walls and ceiling. I also found some nice looking sun lounger pads which I've hung on the three closet doors in the room. (Hehe) You do what you can I guess.

Now, if only I had time to use all of this as much as I'd like, life would be grand.

/Peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, Lisa Gates said:

I know I sure would love to know what some of these talented Songstuffers use. Because my little PC with a USP mic and Audacity free recording software is going to need upgrading soon! LOL

I have a small setup at home: A desktop PC with 32 GB RAM running Cubase Pro 9.5.  2 monitor screens: 1 20-inch computer monitor and 1 32-inch digital TV that I use for a monitor.  The TV comes in handy for editing because I can see the wave file in fine detail.  I own 5 guitars, but record mainly with only two of them.  For acoustics I use a Fender acoustic electric recorded through the direct inputs.  For electric guitar I use a Parker P38.  For keyboard work I use an Alesis Q88 MIDI controller keyboard.  I have several mics, but my main goto mic for vocals is Pacific Pro Audio PPA-1 large diaphragm condenser.  When I use a microphone on acoustic guitar I usually use a Nady CM90 small diaphragm condenser.  My audio interface is a Steinberg UR44.  My main headphones for mixing are Sennheiser 280 pros.  For speakers I use Altec Lansing computer speakers with sub woofer.

My setup at work is similar, but I use one video monitor, Tascam headphones, Larger speakers and a Steinberg UR22 interface.  The room at work is treated with acoustic foam to avoid standing waves.  My home studio is not treated, but I use obstructions to avoid parallel walls.

It seems there are the things we accumulate the things we actually use. I have things buried I have forgotten I have.

When working outside the box as in  making acoustic music. Its me, two mics on Radio DJ type swing arms going into an outdated Presonus interface and into usually Cakewalk by Bandlab  but sometimes it's Ableton Live 10 or Studio One.

I monitor on ATHM50x headphones while tracking and then go through JBL LSR's to mix after tracking.  The only real change to that is now I've recently been tracking my beginning violin on a Golden Age active ribbon mic. You can only do so much in a bedroom...recordingwise.

Archived