Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is Your Studio Set Up?

6B8B7FC4-4A1B-4077-AA76-7A380A470934.jpeg

Hi Gang

Studios evolve and change. Even if you have posted before.... please tell us about your set up, and why not post images and even add a vid to YouTube and post it here.

As ever, give as much detail as you can on Gear, Apps etc :)

Cheers

John

I know I sure would love to know what some of these talented Songstuffers use. Because my little PC with a USP mic and Audacity free recording software is going to need upgrading soon! LOL

In my front room studio I have a 6  mikes, Fender bass,Jackson electric guitar, Boss 100 Walt amp, 100 Walt Peavy bass amp.Midi keyboard, A fender acoustic, A martin guitar, and 3 more acoustic to pull from in the spare bedroom. I use Protools and fl studio for recording.

Have you ever tried the trick of changing your guitar to a Nashville guitar? To achieve this you get 2 packs of guitar strings and use the 1,2,3 string from each pack. After you put the strings on and tune it .The guitar will have a 12 string sound. So anyway that is one of the guitar setups that I use

43 minutes ago, Samuellambertmasteraudio said:

Have you ever tried the trick of changing your guitar to a Nashville guitar? To achieve this you get 2 packs of guitar strings and use the 1,2,3 string from each pack. After you put the strings on and tune it .The guitar will have a 12 string sound. So anyway that is one of the guitar setups that I use

really? I'm going to try this! thank you!!

11 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

I know I sure would love to know what some of these talented Songstuffers use. Because my little PC with a USP mic and Audacity free recording software is going to need upgrading soon! LOL

Here is the Nashville high tune or also known as Nashville 12 string setup

OH WOW! I love it! Can you post this in the Nashville club? You're in it right? that would be amazing. My acoustic guitar doesn't use the vinyl strings. I think I'll get a guitar just to string this way. I can usually find a used one (which is good for practice!) Thanks @Samuellambertmasteraudio

I'm "in the process" of building a new studio. Right now things are seriously cramped in my little studio. Here are some pics of my  present situation. Every time I sit down I fear I'll get a guitar up my butt. As you can see after the construction I should have much more space. All of it isn't studio. Only the part with the window will be. The rest will be a garage and a great room.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

IMG_20180327_204219907.jpg

IMG_20180327_204254918.jpg

IMG_20180327_204314041.jpg

IMG_20180327_205404654.jpg

IMG_20180327_205726100.jpg

Hammer

Power drill

Micrometer

notebooks

unwise bill the toucan

stage mic (because the condenser is too noisey)

re-jigged BR1600HD with replacement hard drive

1940s war dept table

old keys

old guitar

old guitarist

violins

bass

NFMs

2 pairs of headphones

3 double 4.5 tog quilts (on walls)

hand percussion (various)

new instrument & XLR cables

2 thick carpets

bluetack

pencils

gaffa tape

Studio.JPG

I didn't let the fruit loops bird get by me. Nice setup Rudi!

I'm assuming you intend to drill and hammer something in there. I always get in trouble when I assume anything.

Do you like the electric violin? I'm looking at those. Does it like you :) ? 

Are you sleeping vertical?  

21 hours ago, starise said:

I didn't let the fruit loops bird get by me. Nice setup Rudi!

I'm assuming you intend to drill and hammer something in there. I always get in trouble when I assume anything.

Do you like the electric violin? I'm looking at those. Does it like you :) ? 

Are you sleeping vertical?  

I tried to install another Hercules hanger to the left of the window (2 already up). It failed. drilled between bricks. Not sure how to proceed as space is limited there. I may have to hang it lower down.

The electric violin is cheap & nasty and cannot be tuned conventionally. Good (that is usable) e-violins are very expensive.

As a chronic insomniac, I'll sleep any way I can. Maybe I should nail some pillows up there?

I hung a few of those hangers. They tend to work pretty well but as you say if they don't have a bite into something they aren't as sturdy. I did the same thing. Drilled holes into nothing basically. Tried those spread out design plastic lags and they seem to do the trick.  It seems the construction in your house is plaster with a brick underneath.....I'm assuming again too.

Thanks for the info on the violin. I am having a tough time recording acoustic in my space.  

I had thought maybe the pic was sideways after I said that. Makes sense.

First guitar is a Martin that is setup as a Nashville 12 string

Second guitar is a Takamine

Third  guitar is a Finder Bass

Forth Guitar is a Fender Bass

The Mixing board is a Peavey

The Amp under it is a Peavey Bass Amp

Next to it is a cabinet for my extra mikes mostly sure mikes.

The Guitar Amp on top of it is the new Boss Amp the can be switch on 5 amp or 50 amp or 100 amps. It is a very cool amp.

The ribbon mike that is hanging down is a AT4033/SE

The mike in front of the keyboard is a V-tec

The key board is nothing speacail Just a midi keyboard.

I have a TV monitor that I repaired and use as a monitor along with My Toshba laptop

I have a mbox

I Use Pro Tools and Fl Studio

3 Extra guitars in my bedroom that has different tones to choose from

I also use my front room as a jam room.   Chairs are set up with mikes for each chair. On Saturday night Pickers will come by around 5 to 10 people will show up ready to play and have fun. We go in a circle and who ever turn it is they can sing or play any song they choose. This is good for learning new songs,different styles and you can learn a lot of new licks and ideas to help you improve your playing.

Yell that's a lot like this site. Great artist, singer, and songwriters coming together and helping each other.,

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped recording in the 90s, so that's all gone but I started making mashups around 2003 and I'm still using the same software: Acid and SoundForge. Thankfully the old versions still work in Win 10 and they do all I need. I also use VSDC Free Video Editor to make videos for my mashups.

@glammerocity thanks, i'm going to check out that VSDC free video editor!

17 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

@glammerocity thanks, i'm going to check out that VSDC free video editor!

Let me know if you get stuck on anything. Be careful when cutting and splitting, because it can leave a frame of the part you tried to cut out and if you've timestretched the clip, it'll cut it as if you haven't.

I guess I should add Reason to my list of software. I had some old guitar/bass/drums demos that I added some parts to, so even though it's aimed more at EDM, it did organic pretty well. I've used it to add a little compression to my mashups, too.

Y'all got some nice looking setups! Totally jealous.. mine looks nothing like a studio and more like a college dorm room, probably because I use it as my living room/sleeping quarters/entertainment area/etc lol

20180413_181018_2.jpg

29819320.jpg

20180507_072952.jpg

20180507_073029.jpg

20180408_021243.jpg

20180413_1807172.jpg

20180408_0206482.jpg

20180408_020859.jpg

gallery_2590_118_674231.jpg

Nice setups. It doesn't take much now to record, at least not as much as it once did. Simple isn't bad.

Archived