Your Ad Could Be Here

What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

On 10/7/2018 at 4:02 PM, Capo3tanya said:

You know I'm ashamed being a documentary fiend and all to say that I've never watched this! Have heard of it though and Eisenstein's title was definitely pointing at it. My favorite BBC documentary is The Century of The Self, boy that MF'er Edward Bernaise catalyzed some serious doggy doo. And Freud's daughter. 

Well I hadnt heard of Century of The Self, so I'm feeling humble. I will see if I can find it on iPlayer. Sounds good.

Ascent Of Man was an 80s series, so you have to be pretty old even to remember it.

26 minutes ago, Rudi said:

Well I hadnt heard of Century of The Self, so I'm feeling humble. I will see if I can find it on iPlayer. Sounds good.

Ascent Of Man was an 80s series, so you have to be pretty old even to remember it.

Hogwash! Hehe. Was just telling a friend that I think my favorite comedy is Arsenic and Old Lace (Cary Grant). 

Century of The Self :

Found it online (iplayer is useless). Watched 2 episodes last evening. I knew that this stuff went on but not specifically who was responsible and complicit. Remarkable stuff. Worse than I ever thought. Crazy monomaniacal people messing with society.

3 hours ago, Rudi said:

Century of The Self :

Found it online (iplayer is useless). Watched 2 episodes last evening. I knew that this stuff went on but not specifically who was responsible and complicit. Remarkable stuff. Worse than I ever thought. Crazy monomaniacal people messing with society.

Yes when I first saw this I was completely enthralled, so fascinating!!!! Such insight into WTF happened and how. Glad you are enjoying it ❤

• 2 weeks later...

The Spanish Armada - Robert Hutchinson (2013)

Always been fascinated by this bit of history ever since the 1988 BBC Documentary series 'Armada' was made at the 400 year anniversary (1588) of the attempted invasion of England (much better than the later Dan Snow doc).

Elizabeth I had England declared protestant (again) following 'Bloody Mary's persecution of them. Spain was the superpower nation at that time and was determined to crush all 'heretical' nations (ie: Flanders) and restore Catholicism as the true one religion. Many in England wanted Spain to succeed. The Queen survived many assassination attempts.

Very well written. Lots of detail about the principle people involved; Mendoza, Pope Sixtus V, Walsingham etc. Like most history, its a vast power struggle using spy networks, misinformation, political entrapment, murder, insurrection, betrayal, treason and most of all greed. Whats not to like?

On board the San Martin: Friar Bernardo de Gongora: it was the greatest war and confusion that there has been in the world, in respect of the great amount of fire & smoke... There were many ships that went on fighting in 8 cubits of water. All this day, we had been holding ourselves with the bowline held against the weather so as not to run aground on the banks and thus our ships could not ply thier artillery as they wished.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, Rasmus Laks said:

Time Machine by H. G. Wells

A story of an interesting utopia that could happen in the future

I read this when I was a lad. Loved HG Wells. The Time Machine is my favourite Wells.

I also bought a nice bound copy for my son once.

Star Rover - Jack London - a real book, with pages.

Just finished This Wheels on Fire - Levon Helm

Star Rover-That sounds like a pretty good book. I might take a peek at it.

• 2 weeks later...

More good stuff to check out. Thanks. Which of these is your favorite?

Well I'm going to say it. I'm a bit odd. You already knew that. I am reading a kindle book for the second time called , " The Inhumanoids: Real Encounters With Beings That Can't exist". 

No I don't believe most of it. It's more like reading sci fi for me and helps put me to sleep. I have been cross referencing some of it. Mainly because I can't believe there was more than one account backing some of these stories up. I like head scratchers.

There are plenty of things we don't understand. This is a book that, believed or not, has some very outlandish information in it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, starise said:

Star Rover-That sounds like a pretty good book. I might take a peek at it.

I recommend it. I wont go into it. I enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont read books too much, but the last one I read was Beatle Gear by Andy Babiuk. It gets a little redundant in areas, but I always wanted to know in certain instances like when the Beatles would be introduced to different models of guitars and some of the stories behind them. A good read, but not one you will digest in one sitting.

Archived