Your Ad Could Be Here

What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is reading. I just finished up a bunch of WW2 and Korean war history books. Was for a time investigating some local history info.

I'm still reading more history, but it goes back much further.

I'm now reading a book by Micheal Heiser called,  " The Unseen Realm, recovering the  supernatural world view of the bible"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1577995562/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0 . This guy has really done his homework on the subjects he covers. Since he is a  well studied scholar he doesn't leave many stones unturned. Probably boring for the person looking for a fast quick read. He does however, make it interesting IMHO.  If you always wondered about some of the things we can't see and had questions about how some of the things in history went down you might find this book interesting. He covers the Nephilim and giants in this book as well.

I'm reading online news. I haven't been so engrossed in the fantasy genre since I read the Hobbit when I was as teen. Oh, and that one Vampire Series by Anne Rice.

On a more serious note, I've been actually hoping to read a book in the fall/winter so I hope this thread gives me some good ideas.

Re-reading Sacred Economics by Charles Eisenstein. Brilliant!!!

just finished 

from the gramophone to the I phone > a history of music  it has taken me about two years as it has so much information I read a couple of chapters sometimes up to four , then read novels as I digest the information and look up the artists mentioned on you tube .

now reading a novel by Stephen Leather  ( one of the spider series )one of four writers I read  almost everything they publish . between novels I like to try and expand my knowledge by reading factual books

john  

Interesting titles. I'll need to check a few of these out. Sacred Economics has me curious. Not sure how those two terms converge. 

I can't get into religion here. I have a lot of thoughts about the organization you're reading about Rudi. Most of them aren't good ones. Though many of the people involved  great. Is that book an expose' or a more positive reaffirmation?

41 minutes ago, starise said:

Interesting titles. I'll need to check a few of these out. Sacred Economics has me curious. Not sure how those two terms converge. 

I can't get into religion here. I have a lot of thoughts about the organization you're reading about Rudi. Most of them aren't good ones. Though many of the people involved  great. Is that book an expose' or a more positive reaffirmation?

Its an expose. Shocking stuff. The economics of celibacy, the covert shuffling of pederasts, the consequences of banning contraception, organised crime, money laundering, the concordat with Hitler etc etc.

Rudi, unfortunately the author probably didn't need to dig very deep to find some of the info. Some of the is more secretive and almost beyond belief if it weren't for plenty of witnesses confirming much of it.. There have been a few recent events close to my location that further solidify what's been going on. I'll check that book out.

Its a few years old now Tim, but pretty thorough. For me the all important inclusion is that all the source material is fully referenced, so anyone can check his findings.

• Editors

Been reading these books called "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli and "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. It is quite interesting to find out more about commonly unseen yet extremely common flaws in our logic and thinking and while I'd been on tour this month, these books were a way to keep the mind running!

On 9/12/2018 at 4:32 PM, Mahesh said:

Been reading these books called "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli

I began to read this, but gave it up the same day. Before leaving it I looked at the chapter (content) titles. That consolidated my impression that it was not for me.

Well Rudi my reading was stalled by YouTube these last few nights. Oh well. The nice thing about books is they don't loose their memory.

How are people reading books here?

e-books or paper?

I have an e-reader but mostly still buy & use hardcopy.

6 hours ago, Rudi said:

How are people reading books here?

e-books or paper?

I have an e-reader but mostly still buy & use hardcopy.

I love the feel of a book in my hands, have a nook but didn't take to it. 

I use both but mostly iPad here. Purely economic. Sometimes I'll go in to a used book store and find a bag full of books priced low, so I buy those. Other times I see something I like online but the hard copy price is triple what my Kindle app price is. My last book was 5.99 in kindle and like 15.00 hard back.

I just bought a book in Waterstones for £10.

I must admit, I never even checked whether the last few titles I bought were on Kobo.

• 2 weeks later...

Fiction (I very rarely read) year of the Hare - Arto Paasilinna - because I'm fascinated by Finland and hope to go there to visit a long standing internet friend and poetry writing partner (many Finn's will advise you against coming to their country!)

Factual - Swimming The Channel (A memoir of Love and Loss) - Sally Friedman - because of my love of swimming.

Poetry - The Noise of a Fly - Douglas Dunn - modern Scottish poet - because of my love of Scotland.

The last 2 are short and will be finished in a couple of days.

Re-reading The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein. He is one of my favorite people on the planet lol! Brilliant and loving, compassionate towards everyone. His books should appeal to any deep thinker! He offers this one free online if anyone is interested 😃

http://ascentofhumanity.com/text/

21 minutes ago, Capo3tanya said:

Re-reading The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein. He is one of my favorite people on the planet lol! Brilliant and loving, compassionate towards everyone. His books should appeal to any deep thinker! He offers this one free online if anyone is interested 😃

http://ascentofhumanity.com/text/

I've had a delve. In the 1st chapter says...

This, in a nutshell, is the ascent of humanity that Jacob Bronowski was referring to in his classic The Ascent of Man, after which the present volume is ironically named.

Bronowski's 'Ascent of Man' is my favourite book science book for laymen, and the TV series (80s) is IMO the best TV ever made.

But Eisenstein's description of the book is one that Bronowski himself would not agree with. Despite that clash, I will read some more because it seems interesting. [smiley=thumb.gif]

20 hours ago, Rudi said:

I've had a delve. In the 1st chapter says...

Bronowski's 'Ascent of Man' is my favourite book science book for laymen, and the TV series (80s) is IMO the best TV ever made.

But Eisenstein's description of the book is one that Bronowski himself would not agree with. Despite that clash, I will read some more because it seems interesting. [smiley=thumb.gif]

You know I'm ashamed being a documentary fiend and all to say that I've never watched this! Have heard of it though and Eisenstein's title was definitely pointing at it. My favorite BBC documentary is The Century of The Self, boy that MF'er Edward Bernaise catalyzed some serious doggy doo. And Freud's daughter. 

Archived