Your Ad Could Be Here

Hey! I'm Gabe.

• Noob

Hey all!

I'm new the to community. I've been playing guitar for quite a few years, but have always been so self-conscious when it comes to writing music. I've recently been working on overcoming that fear and going for it. I figure that's the only way to improve. I'm hoping to share a couple of my very first songs (another scary thing for me) and get some feedback. I'm also excited to be surrounded and inspired by other songwriters.

I'm also very interested in the songwriting process. I'm working on a personal project to create a web application that I would want to use for songwriting. I'd love to connect with songwriters here and learn how you all write and what tools are important to you. Eventually, it would be great to share my project and get some feedback / make it useful for more than just me!

Glad to meet you all!

- Gabe

• Like 1

Hi Gabe! Welcome! We've all been at the starting point here so you'll have many levels of where all us members are at.

I'm a little confused that you're creating a web application for something you're in the beginning of learning. Sounds like you're jumping the gun but if you're used to creating apps more power to you!

see you on the boards!

• Noob
51 minutes ago, Lisa Gates said:

Hi Gabe! Welcome! We've all been at the starting point here so you'll have many levels of where all us members are at.

I'm a little confused that you're creating a web application for something you're in the beginning of learning. Sounds like you're jumping the gun but if you're used to creating apps more power to you!

see you on the boards!

Thank you both for the welcome! Haha, well I was frustrated with the tools I had when I started writing more, and I'm a software developer by trade, so that's my natural approach to problems like this :). It's actually been fun working on the songwriting itself while working on a related tool. It's like a marriage of 2 worlds that I love!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gabe G said:

Thank you both for the welcome! Haha, well I was frustrated with the tools I had when I started writing more, and I'm a software developer by trade, so that's my natural approach to problems like this :). It's actually been fun working on the songwriting itself while working on a related tool. It's like a marriage of 2 worlds that I love!

Hi and welcome to the Songstuff family Gabe. :)

As a software developer and songwriter I share your passions! At least those ones :P Is it a mobile app? Web app? What platform/framework are you using? Where do your skills lie?

Funnily enough I was talking to one of the other Songstuff staff who also shares these passions about the scope for VST, VSTi  development and for songwriting and music marketing mobile and web apps for Songstuff. To be fair we have talked about and dabbled in software for a number years. My problem has always been I have no end of good ideas for products, and not enough time to do them and run Songstuff. We have some awesome info/training/services in development, some pretty well ready... who knows, maybe after that we will get back to some Songstuff software. We have a great platform, it would be a travesty not to do more with it! Perhaps we will add 3rd party software to our shop first? Sooo many choices, all of them good lol

Cheers

John

• Noob
7 minutes ago, john said:

Hi and welcome to the Songstuff family Gabe. :)

As a software developer and songwriter I share your passions! At least those ones :P Is it a mobile app? Web app? What platform/framework are you using? Where do your skills lie?

Funnily enough I was talking to one of the other Songstuff staff who also shares these passions about the scope for VST, VSTi  development and for songwriting and music marketing mobile and web apps for Songstuff. To be fair we have talked about and dabbled in software for a number years. My problem has always been I have no end of good ideas for products, and not enough time to do them and run Songstuff. We have some awesome info/training/services in development, some pretty well ready... who knows, maybe after that we will get back to some Songstuff software. We have a great platform, it would be a travesty not to do more with it! Perhaps we will add 3rd party software to our shop first? Sooo many choices, all of them good lol

Cheers

John

That's super cool, John! 

My background is in web programming, so I've created a web app that will play nicely on mobile web. I couldn't find a thing I liked for the creative part of my process, so I built something that threw together a bunch of stuff I found useful. It ended up sort of like a guitar-tab looking editor that can easily manipulate and play chords, with integrated tools like rhyming dictionary and tuner and audio recorder, plus some basic music theory. I don't want to self-promote or advertise, so I won't post a link, but I would absolutely love to get your thoughts sometime if you were interested. I'm early stages and trying to figure out the best direction to move with it, if I could make it useful for others.

What kind of software integrations are/were you all interested in fitting into Songstuff? I'd love to hear what you had in mind - maybe there would even be a way for me to contribute at some point! I know so well the feeling of having ideas but no time to run with them.

Best,

Gabe

I have a mobile app for songwriting. I often take it to weekend craft fairs where I sell my hand lettered interior decor signs. Been a professional signpainter for over 40 years. My "app" is a cool wood clipboard I bought from a woodworker vendor at a craft fair a year ago. I have graph paper on it with faint blue grid lines. It's the only way I can write songs. I swear the grid helps me see the balance of words in a line of lyrics. My rhyming dictionary resides deep in my brain where other programming resides from my Comparative Literature major at Indiana University long ago. I'm in no way disparaging the approach you are taking. For me though, my brain and hand/eye coordination with a pen are the only tools I can envision for the pursuit. I'm seeing already though how my grandkids will exist in a world where everything they do will involve a computer. Many schools have abandoned teaching cursive writing. Maybe by the year 2500 a box of handwritten letters will be appraised on Antiques Roadshow for an astronomical sum! Good luck with your endeavors however. You couldn't have found a more helpful community than resides here.