Your Ad Could Be Here

What is the most challenge experience when it comes to mixing your music?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually have a pretty good sense of when a recording is complete, but getting a mix that translates on all systems, particularly its low-end, is still often frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, Ed Driscoll said:

I usually have a pretty good sense of when a recording is complete, but getting a mix that translates on all systems, particularly its low-end, is still often frustrating.

to fix the overall mix being too muddy have u tried filtering out the low end? Reducing the bass track can also be the solution too. 

• 2 weeks later...

same with you buddy.

so hard to improve this

On 3/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, Old Technology said:

I keep running into this same issue. Sometimes I make way too many changes and then I listen to the old version. What do you know I like the old version better!

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much the hardest thing is having a tuned room. There are so many times where you need to assume where the mix is going to end up. You can be in the room where, for example, the vocals sound great in the mixing room, but are quiet every where else. Therefore, you need to in the mixing room place the vocals higher than what sounds right, knowing what is going out into the real world with the mix. It can be hard to really know what you are mixing. 

• 5 weeks later...

The mix sounds great . I burn a copy onto a CD and pop it into my car to have a good list a high volume. That's when I hear 9 things I want to change. I make changes. I burn another CD. I take a drive. I hear 9 other things.

Music sounds different on studio headphones. Studio monitors. Car speakers. Computer speakers, Ear buds...

Its hard to get that mix that sounds great on every size speaker.

• 11 months later...
12 hours ago, Roland Vega said:

equalization and compression

Any specific aspect? What EQ & compresssion do you use?

I use different ones. I like the logic pro compreser. For vocals I normally use 2 compressers to have the voice stand out. I use waves or izotope for eq. Also Logic. Waves and izotope has a nice roundness to it.

Please forgive any mispellings. 

The whole process of mixing is still a bit covered in mystery to me, and i am saying it after like around 3 years of mixing. I definitelly got 1000 % better during the time, yet i just still use to grope around.

Recently i found out something interesting about parallels and plug-in latency > that i didn't know i should be aware of. And last thing i also learnt was to make my reverbs less muddy.

• 2 months later...
  • Noob

Try to acoustically treat (even budget friendly) the area around your monitors.  Put monitors on foam base pads,...

Then, like TheMistero said above, listen to them on multiple sound sources - your earbuds, that crappy Bluetooth speaker, your car stereo, etc. etc.

rinse and repeat until it sounds good mostly everywhere.

...that or save up and pay another set of ears that are trained to mix/master

I just decided that I’m going to finish my mixes, but have an old friend master everything for me.

You also need to take long breaks in between sessions... even a few days off you’ll come back hearing it different and any issues will hopefully come out clearer

Archived