Your Ad Could Be Here

Why are people comparing artists of today to The Beatles?

Hello everyone, 

I have been seeing a lot of news and posts on some social media platforms and magazines comparing Ariana Grande to The Beatles. Am I the only one to believe this is just stupid? I do not understand this comparison, The Beatles made history years ago when there was no internet, no social media, amongst other platforms that artists do have access today which obviously makes it easier to access and promote audiences around the world. 

In my personal opinion if you are going to compare an artist who is making it today, you should compare him or her to some artist of this decade at least, it makes no sense and it really upsets me to see these comparisons, I would like to hear your opinions on this. This mentioned example is just one of many i've seen over the past months. 

P.S: I wonder how big the Beatles would have been today with all these digital platforms lol. 

I would tend to agree.

"The Beatles®" was, of course, a very-successful musical product of the musical industry – and, certainly, the technology – of its day.  They were supported by very-gifted songwriting talent, of course ... but they were also supported by an industry (at the time, entirely based on "AM Radio" and "Vinyl") which frankly, didn't care how many miles of magnetic tape they ran through ... at the hands of the very best recording engineers that money could hire ... in the most expensive recording studio in London.

Those days are gone.  "Sir Paul," at this writing, is still with us – thereby forever disproving the validity of those backwards tracks – but otherwise, yes, such comparisons really don't apply.

For me, both the Beatles and the Ariana Grande stats are interesting. All considerations taken and given about differences in the industry and access to fans etc.  I'm not making a comparison of the Beatles and Ariana Grande.

But still, as much as things have changed, no one else as solo artist, and only Beatles(1964) have had spots 1,2,3 on top 100 over all the years.

(I know she has mega support and dollars behind her) but..

What is the overall take away on what Ariana Grande has done, how was it done and what does it tell us about music, consumers of music,  the industry, video and social networking impact?

It will also be interesting to see how long the stat holds. Lady Gaga is trying to be next.. 😏

Archived