Your Ad Could Be Here

Slide Away (Oasis Cover)

There's a Slide Away cover challenge going on and here's my entry. I'd love to know what you think. Also if you subscribe to my Youtube please let me know and i'll sub to you too :)

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard this original. Your guitar playing is stellar, and I like your set-up with the mic and strap.  Your vocals are just a tad hard to understand because of the force you're putting into them, but that could just be a stylistic choice and doesn't have to change if you are aware of it and like it.

Kev - I think the time has come to think about seeing a vocal coach - I'm sure they will be able to examine in detail the way you sing and be able to identify ways in which you can start making some progress - I really think it would be money well spent. I don't think any amount of feedback from the people on this site is ever going to dampen your enthusiasm - I think people are trying to be constructive but a vocal coach is actually going to work out and know what you can do better. You have a kind of Joe Cocker gravel in your voice which - if you knew how to make the most of it - could be the element that gives you a very distinctive vocal sound BUT you clip or cut short short some of the sounds you're making - it's frustrating because I just don't think you know how to make the most of what you've  got with your voice - I think you have jut got into some bad habits (and I know - who the hell am I to say anything!?) but a vocal coach is going to be someone who's opinion you can respect and they're going to be able to quickly work out what you are doing and what and how you should start singing in order to get into good habits and make the most of the voice you have for the style of music you want to do - everyone on the boards who has seen all the effort you've made in the last year knows you're serious about this and I'm saying this because I think it's the advice you need to hear and probably the single most important thing you should start thinking about doing next - forget new gear, new strings, etc - just think about it. I've looked at a few vocal coaching websites around Hull (isn't that where you are) and some of these people look like great people to work with. Wherever you are - dig around - I'm sure you have no problem finding someone who does rock among the many styles they will have worked with. Just do it - don't let your potential slide away!

I totally agree with Lemonstar, Kev.

I am recently a bit off the forums, because of life. But I know you've been working a lot and posting a lot of stuff.

As @medals in the chute have mention, your singing style seems really forced. You compress so much the voice while you sing, and that gives it a very particular taste, but also, feels too harsh. If you are able to control that compression you can use it strategically as style feature in some parts of the song, and give your performance a deeper dimension. But if you are not able to control it, and you have no more choice that using it all the time, you get limited to singing very particular styles and, you will find that, in many of them, people won't find it so appealing. Furthermore, I guess singing that harsh is not healthy for you, and you can end up with problems in your vocal chords.

As @lemonstar said, a vocal coach will show you how to control it, and you will win a lot of control and expression in not so long time.

I have been working with a vocal coach since last February, and it's amazing how much I've gained in quality and control. I have also learnt how to control a lot of style particularities I used to have, that were just not working for all the songs, and I have improved range and confidence. I normally work over original songs... but sometimes I find myself singing a song I used to sing in the past, and I listen to myself and thing: GOSH, it just sound SO MUCH BETTER than before!

Vocal training is just amazing. People tend to think that, because they know how to talk, and they can "sing" already more or less OK naturally, it's not worth it to get some training. But they are so wrong. For singing properly and in a healthy manner, you require almost as much practice as you require for any other instrument. With the extra fact that, if you break up your singing instrument, there's no way to replace it!!!

Just try a couple of lessons! Maybe you can even try online here with @Mahesh! And you will see how much you can improve in not so much time. The benefit you will take from it is really huge. And if you are this serious with music, as Neil said, it will be such a great advance for you in your way as performing artist!

Keep us posted!

Best,

Michan

Yep @Maheshis da man! Join the SVCA club. It's brand new, so an ideal time to get some help from Mahesh.

Your voice has potential but it is definitely the weaker part of your performance.Just like the guitar, it takes a lot of focused practice to get the most out your voice. the difference between your singing voice and your spoken voice is amazing!

Don't view the comments about your voice as a negative, but we are here to hold up a mirror to you, your songs and your performances in the hope of helping you. :)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the honest and helpful feedback. 

I've generally suffered with having a pretty poor vocal (though it has improved somewhat lately).  I'm definitely going to go to a teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

Kev - I hope you do give it a go.The few private music teachers I know have spent a life in music and are passionate about and skilled in what they do and fun people to spend time with - I hope you find someone great to work with who you can trust and feel confident with who will give you some good feedback and ideas that'll help and inspire you. I'll be interested to hear what happens.

• 1 month later...

Archived