Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriting Contest

• Noob

Hello everyone, 

If you're confident that you've written a song that could be recognized by music industry professionals, an entry into American Songwriter Magazine's latest songwriting contest might be a good move.

In honor of Veteran's day I've entered my folk song, "Lois Brown", about a man who goes off to WWI leaving behind his true love, Lois Brown. 

The entry fee is $15 and the deadline is 11/15/19. Here's a link to the contest entry page. Good luck! 

https://americansongwriter.com/offers/lyriccontest/

Cheers,

Dave Williams

Hey Dave

I've never been much of one for song competitions. They do little to showcase the great talent that takes part, even the winner. The main beneficiaries seem to be the people who run the competition.

That said, all the very best with your entry! Have you posted your song to the community forums yet?

Cheers

John

• Noob

Hi John,

It's the first time I've ever entered a songwriting contest, so I thought I'd give it whirl. You're probably right about who benefits most, but it sure would be exciting to win. 

I have not yet posted any of my songs on the Forum yet. Might I ask, what section of the Website do I go to for that? I get pretty lost in cyberspace. :)

Thanks for the reply, and have yourself a great evening!

Dave 

Hi Dave,

If you're finished and want to Showcase it

https://forums.songstuff.com/forum/102-showcase/

We also have boards for lyric critique, song critique, etc.  Poke around and if you have any questions just let me know.

:)

Peggy

• Noob

Hi Peggy,

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction! If I have any more questions, I will definitely get in touch; I appreciate that.

Dave

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 6:10 AM, 247spin said:

Hi John,

It's the first time I've ever entered a songwriting contest, so I thought I'd give it whirl. You're probably right about who benefits most, but it sure would be exciting to win. 

Just a thought or two.

I started writing in 1964, quit in 1965, and didn't start again until 2001 when I saw an ad for a country Christmas lyric writing contest. I laughed, considered all the match packs I had seen for "Draw this", and a couple of lyrics came into my head. It cost $10 a lyric and I sent in 2. I got a call about 6 months later at about 1AM telling me I had won over 3000+ entries and they wanted to give me 1st and 2nd but they weren't allowed so the gave me an extra free demo instead, plus $550, and a nice certificate to frame. They also told me I should move to the Nashville area and they would help me make connections if I really wanted to be a songwriter. Then my local area newspaper, which my brother bragged to, called me and put me on the front page. Talk about a swelled head!

To make a longer story short, this inspired me to start really writing, and 300+ lyrics , and 200+ demos later here I am.

Not all contests are good but I am happy I entered that one!

Archived