• Mutools - Mulab
    • Presonus - Studio One
    • Propellorheads - Reason
    • Renoise - Renoise
    • Steinberg - Cubase
    • Steinberg - Nuendo
    • Other
    • None

Please answer the poll. What DAWs do you use?

8 hours ago, John W Selleck said:

Band in a Box!

Is Band in a Box considered a DAW? I worked with it briefly when it just came out years ago. It must be really good now.

9 hours ago, Leon T said:

Is Band in a Box considered a DAW? I worked with it briefly when it just came out years ago. It must be really good now.

I don't know why it wouldn't be. You can do all the things assosciated with a studio with it, digitally and through MIDI. It has thousands of real tracks you can use too.

19 hours ago, John W Selleck said:

I don't know why it wouldn't be. You can do all the things assosciated with a studio with it, digitally and through MIDI. It has thousands of real tracks you can use too.

Is that what you generally use for creating accompaniments?

8 hours ago, Leon T said:

Is that what you generally use for creating accompaniments?

Because I had to step away from music for many years, cracked and scarred eardrums in 1968 from Vietnam, I can not play, or compose music on my own. I write lyrics, decide on a genre/style/tempo, and percussion style I like, then BIABox will generate chords, which I sing a melody to. When I had a local studio, and extra money to put into it, I would then take it to my studio guy. He would play all of the instruments, lay down all the tracks, and then we would add vocals. Most of the vocals were done by paid singers because most were done before I got my pitch back and realized I could sing again. BIABox will also generate melodies, solos, etc. You can also go in and write all your own chords, or play them and it will annotate them into sheet music. It is also very affordable, but you can add thousands of extra tracks that will cost more cash. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear about those issues, but also great to hear you didn't let those problems get in the way of creating music. You're doing a great job!

On 3/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, Leon T said:

If anybody's interested in trying out Pro Tools, Avid is offering a free trial (full version) for the next couple of months I think.

Thanks for passing that on Leon

• 1 month later...

Still trying to find one that doesnt give me a complete headache.  Studio One is somewhat intuitive, but does so much more than I'll ever need or want it to do. I'm more of a 4-track learning curve :)

Another one I've liked that I believe is just android and iOS is audiolab(possibly still in beta) but is straightforward and works(at least for me) fairly well, even to do editing, or overdubs.

Yeah Studio One is probably the DAW that has given the most thought to the user interface. The older DAWs I think are more set in their ways.

I use Reaper, as it is now an old friend after sticking with it for probably 10 years+.  There are some things that I think could be better, but not enough to persuade me to try and "learn" another DAW.

If I'm just sketching things out I use a Zoom R8 Portastudio, which enables me to transfer anything I like across to the computer, or just gives a "notepad" for writing and arranging.  

Its interesting to see such a range in use - but as we know it's not the gear that defines the output.

I did "audition" Studio One around the time I was making the decision to go with Reaper.  I liked it, but had a personal preference for the look and feel of Reaper.  I think I am unusual in holding that opinion.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:28 PM, John W Selleck said:

Because I had to step away from music for many years, cracked and scarred eardrums in 1968 from Vietnam, I can not play, or compose music on my own. I write lyrics, decide on a genre/style/tempo, and percussion style I like, then BIABox will generate chords, which I sing a melody to. When I had a local studio, and extra money to put into it, I would then take it to my studio guy. He would play all of the instruments, lay down all the tracks, and then we would add vocals. Most of the vocals were done by paid singers because most were done before I got my pitch back and realized I could sing again. BIABox will also generate melodies, solos, etc. You can also go in and write all your own chords, or play them and it will annotate them into sheet music. It is also very affordable, but you can add thousands of extra tracks that will cost more cash. Hope this helps.

John sorry to hear about your health problems .

after reading your post on Bitb i had a look around and it look's like it's the one for me.

do you think getting the the starter package is ok or should i get the more advanced one .

I just want to put som backing to my lyrics 

regards Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, SYMO said:

John sorry to hear about your health problems .

after reading your post on Bitb i had a look around and it look's like it's the one for me.

do you think getting the the starter package is ok or should i get the more advanced one .

I just want to put som backing to my lyrics 

regards Paul

Hi Paul, I would start with the basic, go through the learning curve, and then decide what more you need, if anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, papa lopp said:

Why would you relagate Reaper to other?

It isn't

Archived