Your Ad Could Be Here

YouTube - Auto-generated topic channels

Hello all. Just checking to see if anyone has had to deal with this yet. I was on YouTube yesterday and did a search for Just1L. I came across a Channel that had my entire EP on there, with my artwork, called Just1L - Topic. When I had the EP made I did use CD Baby and did use their distribution methods but specifically, for my own reasons, did not put them on YouTube. This page I found was made on April 7, 2020 .. so just a few days ago. All of my songs are copyrighted so I feel good in knowing that but since it's hard enough anyway, I don't want YouTube stealing any views/subscribers I may have. Having had to deal with Google/YouTube in the past I know it can be a very long, tiring and frustrating process. Just seeing if anyone has seen this or had to deal with it. Gracias in advance.

Randy = Just1L

Here's the YouTube help page on the topic: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2579942

Here's the page/channel they generated using my content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO6Uib_7d0ljRk0a4u0JlLw/featured

Hi Randy,

When working to create the Songstuff Music Stage YouTube playlists, I noticed this with many artist. 

YouTube says "An auto-generated channel is created when we identify a topic to have a significant presence on the site."

I also use cdbaby. This link explains how it happens and how to stop your music from being included.

https://support.cdbaby.com/hc/en-us/articles/210999363-Why-are-there-videos-on-YouTube-for-each-of-my-songs-

Peggy

Hey Randy

Two lines to draw your attention to.... in YouTube Help:

"An auto-generated channel is created when we identify a topic to have a significant presence on the site."

and in the description for the songs:

"Provided to YouTube by CDBaby "

It would seem CDBaby ignored your instruction. Sadly this is not the first time I have heard of this happening with CD Baby.

The trouble is that if they get plays they do not build your channel, and they do not count towards song plays that would enable you to switch on being a YouTube partner and therefor the ability to earn from ads. If I were you I would contact CD Baby and highlight you specifically asked for the songs not to be on YouTube. Similary, it would be worth considering adding your on YouTube Channel now. Ideally you should be able to claim those uploads and the plays that go with them. I have my doubts though.

Better to sort it sooner than later.

Cheers

John

Thank you both for the reply. I did get the following email from CD Baby a short time ago:

Hi Randy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

In regards to your release(s) appearing on YouTube Music, we are aware of the issue and are currently working to resolve it. 

It appears that a project CD Baby was working on with that partner was launched much sooner than what was planned. This caused an error with certain CD Baby submissions causing them to be delivered or in some cases redelivered to YouTube Music. 

Those submissions on YouTube Music are now in the process of being deactivated if they have not been already. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

If you are now wanting to opt-in to YouTube Music you are certainly welcome to do so. 

To ensure that we gather all the information we need to process the updates, we need the request in writing. Please submit a request via our support Help Center here. 

• In the subject line, please add "Update Digital Distribution"
  • Fill out the information request
  • And click "submit".

You will receive a confirmation that your request has been received however you will not receive a confirmation that the request has been processed.

It can take 6-8 weeks for the updates to take effect on all sites.

20 hours ago, Peggy said:

Hi Randy,

When working to create the Songstuff Music Stage YouTube playlists, I noticed this with many artist. 

YouTube says "An auto-generated channel is created when we identify a topic to have a significant presence on the site."

I also use cdbaby. This link explains how it happens and how to stop your music from being included.

https://support.cdbaby.com/hc/en-us/articles/210999363-Why-are-there-videos-on-YouTube-for-each-of-my-songs-

Peggy

Thank you Peggy. I'm currently going through the process ...

19 hours ago, john said:

Hey Randy

Two lines to draw your attention to.... in YouTube Help:

"An auto-generated channel is created when we identify a topic to have a significant presence on the site."

and in the description for the songs:

"Provided to YouTube by CDBaby "

It would seem CDBaby ignored your instruction. Sadly this is not the first time I have heard of this happening with CD Baby.

The trouble is that if they get plays they do not build your channel, and they do not count towards song plays that would enable you to switch on being a YouTube partner and therefor the ability to earn from ads. If I were you I would contact CD Baby and highlight you specifically asked for the songs not to be on YouTube. Similary, it would be worth considering adding your on YouTube Channel now. Ideally you should be able to claim those uploads and the plays that go with them. I have my doubts though.

Better to sort it sooner than later.

Cheers

John

What's funny is I think they say "significant presence on the site" to trick people into thinking they are becoming relevant ... and while most people are clueless about it all still, I believe YouTube hopes they'll just let it slide. Cuz I really don't have much of a presence at all much less significant. :)

And yes, that second line you highlighted explains it all sadly. I noticed Peggy's link had an article from 3 months ago and clicking on a few other topics shows they were all at least updated within the last year. When I had my EP placed on CD Baby in 2018 music wasn't automatically sent to YouTube, you HAD to opt in.

One thing I've been reading about pertaining to this is Official Artist Channels (OAC) on YouTube. It appears you can merge their auto-generated channel into your Official Artist Channels. While you won't get any of the subscribers from the auto-generated channel, with an OAC you can get revenue and other perks most others don't without a certain number of subscribers. Guess I'm heading down that road too.

Here's a link to a good video on OACs: 

Seems like a good plan.

There’s good things about distribution by CD Baby. This isn’t one of them. Pretty poor all in if they can’t even follow simple instructions.

Archived