Your Ad Could Be Here

• what a wonderful world • louis armstrong •

• Editors

Lately, I've been spending a lot of time working on my guitar playing skills. Learning to move in triads and shell voicings has really allowed my dexterity of movement to improve on the fretboard. So I've been learning old classics and Jazz standards to see what's going on.

Anyways, this was last night. I recorded it on my Zoom H6 with the X-Y condenser module connected to my phone.  I know it's a song that's been done so many times (Like "Hallelujah" or "Amazing Grace") but man, there's so much going on in the song; the songwriting, the harmonic movement, the emotion of simple joy of being alive conveyed through a colorful pallet of sounds! Man, Louis is amazing. (And the writers who composed it!)

I hope you enjoy the listen! :)

• what a wonderful world • louis armstrong • live acoustic cover •

• Like 2

It's a good version of the song Mahesh. My only crit, is that I would like to see you making covers more uniquely "you", making your versions more fundamentally different from the original. That you can do perfectly good performances is fantastic, but more originality helps your version stand out, helps them to be more memorable.

• Editors
On 7/31/2020 at 6:21 PM, Just1L said:

Nicely done Mahesh this sounds great. Isn't it great each time you learn new things on the guitar and it opens up a whole different world? Enjoy! Subscribed to your YouTube as well!

Thanks Randy! Appreciate that. And you're so right, it just opens up so many possibilities. And interestingly, the image of the fret board starts looking a lot more connected! Thanks for your sub and the time bud. Much appreciated! :)

8 hours ago, john said:

It's a good version of the song Mahesh. My only crit, is that I would like to see you making covers more uniquely "you", making your versions more fundamentally different from the original. That you can do perfectly good performances is fantastic, but more originality helps your version stand out, helps them to be more memorable.

Hi John, you make a valid point about being unique and interpreting it so. Completely agreed! In this particular case, because it's another one of those 'standards', I was weary of 'letting myself loose' too much LMAO.

• Like 1

This is really great!  agree with @john on his points though, hard to do that with a song that's as beloved as this one though, this song always intrigued me musically as well, it sure just sounds simple right? ;) but we know better hahaha.  I think you could uniquely make it your own if any other instrumentation was done on top, but I really enjoyed this just acoustic.  It's a tough line to toe, and deciding when to step on it or erase it completely :D  That's the 2nd very brave cover I've heard you do remarkably well! 

• Like 1

• Editors
On 8/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, Cody said:

This is really great!  agree with @john on his points though, hard to do that with a song that's as beloved as this one though, this song always intrigued me musically as well, it sure just sounds simple right? ;) but we know better hahaha.  I think you could uniquely make it your own if any other instrumentation was done on top, but I really enjoyed this just acoustic.  It's a tough line to toe, and deciding when to step on it or erase it completely :D  That's the 2nd very brave cover I've heard you do remarkably well! 

Thanks very much Cody! Yeah, I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun to add instrumentation (even vocally) to make things intersting. And indeed man, the progression is just golden. So much going on! It's always a pleasure to hear a tune that comes off so easy to the listener to take it in while including a healthy amount of technicality backing it! :)

As always, appreciate your time bud. Much thanks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mahesh said:

And indeed man, the progression is just golden. So much going on! It's always a pleasure to hear a tune that comes off so easy to the listener to take it in while including a healthy amount of technicality backing it! :)

Yeah it is a prime example of some great advice I've received.  Make the simple sound extraordinary and the extraordinary sound simple. :D I rarely pull it off, but always strive to 

• Thanks 1

• Editors
1 hour ago, Cody said:

Yeah it is a prime example of some great advice I've received.  Make the simple sound extraordinary and the extraordinary sound simple. :D I rarely pull it off, but always strive to 

Profoundly put! And cheers to that! 🍻

• 1 year later...
  • Noob

I think that this cover just goes to show that all songs don't need a heavy mix. The Acoustic guitar is straightforward in portraying the harmony and progression of the song. I like it. I also think that your singing is also good too. I can't say much about that besides that it sounds good. For extra effect, I'd probably add a soft high-end reverb on top of it to add some space. But either way, good job!

• Like 2

• Editors
On 11/11/2021 at 6:51 AM, Amieine said:

I think that this cover just goes to show that all songs don't need a heavy mix. The Acoustic guitar is straightforward in portraying the harmony and progression of the song. I like it. I also think that your singing is also good too. I can't say much about that besides that it sounds good. For extra effect, I'd probably add a soft high-end reverb on top of it to add some space. But either way, good job!

Thank you for your time listening and the comments! Appreciate the kind words @Amieine. I would agree with you about the reverb. In fact, if I had recorded this sometime, recently I would have done that for sure. I'd have probably left the dry signal intact and bussed a copy of it to a delay channel before feeding it some reverb though. Thanks again for your thoughts, it was good to come back to this after a while!

• Like 1