Your Ad Could Be Here

Motorcycles

Hey

Bikes have always been a passion of mine, though because of my back it’s been a while since I’ve been able to ride one.

I was never much of one for racing bikes. That said, I loved my Yamaha RD400 and my Kawasaki  GPz900R. Slow by modern standards, but both racing bikes of their day.

My favourite was my Yamaha XJ650. Big enough for fun, small enough to be light and easy to handle. I always fancied getting an old Triumph Bonneville 750 and a Harley Davidson 1300. I enjoyed fixing bikes up, and my dream project bike was always an old Indian motorcycle. Trouble is that they are rare and expensive.

Any one else into their motorbikes?

cheers

John

I was at one point in time.  I've had many off road bikes Yamaha's and Suzuki's usually 125cc as that's really plenty for me if bored out a bit.  

I have toyed with thoughts of getting another someday, but then like you @john  just the thought of it kills my back and lots of old breaks and injuries start hurting again. 

I think I would go with more of a cruiser if I ever do get back into it.  The favorite one I've had was a super cheap Honda 350.  It might of cost $100 dollars at the time, was super reliable, great on gas and enough power to get me where I needed to go,  and not to mention it was fun to ride by people on their harleys/etc with haha.  

I too would love an old Indian or even a flat or pan headed Harley to fix up.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Yeah John, I’ve always been into bikes.  I think I’ve written a couple of lyrics on the subject, maybe even sang about it some.  

lately, past few years, I’ve been picking up and restoring old Hondas, XR75, CT70, XL75, and started riding dirt bikes again with my son.  So far I’ve broken both feet, right thumb, been knocked unconscious, but I’m still at it.  

wish your back was better,

Tom

• Like 1

I always liked the Honda 4004 four, the CB400F. Kind of similar to the Kawasaki Z650 B1 I had. Similar lines. Quite different in power. Neither bike handled great.

My brother-in-law runs a bike business. He focuses on classics now. Loads of old Brit bikes often mint condition, but also classics of any pedigree.

I have thought about getting a trike but they can be pretty expensive.

• Like 1

I rode bikes when I was young.  Then there was a fellow biker in California who had his Harley stolen by a group of Hell's Angels.

He turned them into the police and had his bike returned.  The gang came to his house the next night, told him if he ever ratted them out again that they would kill him.  They then beat him unconscious, broke several bones, and took the bike back.

I lost my enthusiasm after that.

• Like 1

I owned a Honda CB1 back in the 90’s, it was also known as CB400f, only available for two years here in the states.  It was an in-line 4 with gear driven cam timing and was great fun and good in traffic being water cooled.  

Presently, I have 8 bikes and two 4 wheelers to play around on.  I’ve found that while I enjoy buying and fixing up non running projects, I don’t really like letting them go, but In reality, there’s only one that I won’t ever part with, she’s my baby.  A 1995 Harley FXD.  We’ve been through it all together.

• Like 1

I owned a Honda CB1 back in the 90’s, it was also known as CB400f, only available for two years here in the states.  It was an in-line 4 with gear driven cam timing and was great fun and good in traffic being water cooled.  

Presently, I have 8 bikes and two 4 wheelers to play around on.  I’ve found that while I enjoy buying and fixing up non running projects, I don’t really like letting them go, but In reality, there’s only one that I won’t ever part with, she’s my baby.  A 1995 Harley FXD.  We’ve been through it all together.

The picture is a 1980 Kawasaki KZ400 project I’m working on for a coworker’s son.  Hopefully it’ll be finished this month as it’s meant to be a wedding present.

0B6B993C-58BB-47EE-B605-5A39F6B4E6D9.jpeg

There is a funny coda to my story.  Outside DC where I live now there is a group of apparently very wealthy professionals who ride super deluxe decked out Harleys together and wear expensive leathers.  I refer to them as the Heck's Angels.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson
  • Like 1

here’s a picture of my son, 14 years ago, sitting on a 1976 Honda CB360T I paid $100 for in non running condition.  I gave it to my dad for a retirement present in running condition.934AE210-E45C-48AA-9E97-A1E20939D64A.thumb.jpeg.ac00503a627224ba8787cc403411fd02.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

There is a funny coda to my story.  Outside DC where I live now there is a group of apparently very wealthy professionals who ride super deluxe decked out Harleys together and wear expensive leathers.  I refer to them as the Heck's Angels.

Oh that’s funny.  Yeah, there are a lot of different people who ride.

2 minutes ago, McnaughtonPark said:

Oh that’s funny.  Yeah, there are a lot of different people who ride.

What makes it even funnier is these guys are all middle aged or older and noticeably fat.  Not quite the image one has of a typical biker...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

What makes it even funnier is these guys are all middle aged or older and noticeably fat.  Not quite the image one has of a typical biker...

Haha, that’s me to a T.  Maybe a little past middle aged but fat for sure.  I can still do this tho….

E235ABD2-7F77-4B6A-BF45-B868E1D3A100.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McnaughtonPark said:

Maybe today is the first ride of the year?  Sunny, in the 50’s/f, hardly any wind.  Maybe…

98A0E25A-09B3-454B-B7A9-0996341DE1DC.jpeg

time to blow away the winter cobwebs. I wish I could join you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, john said:

time to blow away the winter cobwebs. I wish I could join you!

Me too, we didn’t end up going, I hate responsibilities.  Maybe tonight.

• Like 1

Ahhh, remember those rides when you told yourself the rain or cold or something else wasn’t that bad, it’s still better than not riding at all?  That was our ride tonight.  The wind was blowing more than I thought, forcing me to lean into the wind going east and west.  South was the best, riding with the wind and north was heading back home facing it.  All is well again, but we decided to take a ride again after it really gets warmer to make this one worth it.

• Like 1

I remember many a journey having to warm soaked bike gloves on my engine when we stopped at red lights and aching knees that had borne the brunt of cold icy rain and hail for a long distance. That was very common in the days when my bike was my only form of transport. When I find myself nostalgic for even runs that were cold and soaking, I know I need a break!

Ah but those long summer runs… there’s something supremely special about those. Alone or with others, a different experience, but each special in it’s own way.

• Like 1

Motorcycle riding has always been a sort of adventure creator.  I can think of so many rides where something happened that we just wouldn’t have expected or experienced had we not been out riding.  It helps me connect to my soul, the inner peace, and I can very often sense the chaos peeling away and being left out on the road behind me.

• Like 1

Indeed it is the loss of this aspect of riding a bike I find most difficult to endure.

• Like 1

I can relate.  I’m fortunate in that I do get to ride still.  Have you tried a short ride, just out in the country on a beautiful stretch of road?  

I think I’d love to ride the roads of Scotland.  Of course, what I get to see of the countryside there are probably the most scenic spots in film and on tv.  Still, to be there looks like the kind of ride where I could lose myself in minutes.  

I wonder if the virtual reality headset games have ride scenarios?