Your Ad Could Be Here

Should / Could any person make music?

Like most of my topics, the subjects I address here are of a controversial nature. This is a volatile subject, and id be very surprised if every single person felt the same way. So in order to keep things civilized, please remember to respect your fellow musicians opinions by presenting your input and arguments in a rational and informed manner. That`s all I have to say about that. Now on with the thread!

Naturally an artist will prefer answering both of these questions with a "yes". And... being as most of us here are already musicians, our own resolve has already been demonstrated. However. I would like to explore these questions a bit further. Considering the time and effort that goes into production, especially if your indie, and taking into account the risky nature of success itself,  along with getting a handle on some of the business practices of the industry, I tend to believe that the answers to these question might be common, but the idea behind this subject not necessarily set in stone.

In order to establish a basis for these two very different questions, id like to explore them by raising a hypothesis. A scenario that might elicit uncommon answers to the subjects at hand (even among musicians).

Here is how it goes:

Lets say you have a close friend which aspires to be a musician. Which is great and I imagine that you`d like to be supportive of him! but your friend has a few issues and hindrances which must be tackled, and cannot be overlooked, in order for him to pursue his goal. For the sake of simplifying the idea, I will list these issues and circumstances in a manner which does not involve you (the reader), directly. And to whoever chooses to address this topic, id like for you to please tackle this conundrum with honesty and realism. That is the only way to fully explore this subject, respectfully.

1) He appears to be untalented in all areas related to music. This has been going on for years, and you've seen him attempt to pick up various instruments (vocals included), but to no avail. I mean, sure. He can manage simple stuff, as anyone could with basic training. But you can tell that the odds are stacked against him.

Side note:

I know that musical talent on itself is a fascinating scientific topic which is clearly up for debate and exploration. Addressing that subject on it own requires comparing between many different studies which were conducted on this subject, and going into a proper deep dive through comprehensive academic analysis. Topics such as "what is talent" or "who might not have it",  are topics which I feel deserve threads of their own! But for now, let us keep things in THIS thread as simple as possible, by addressing this matter in a seemingly conventional form - by assuming that your friend has never demonstrated what most people would refer to as "talent" (in the traditional sense).

2) His approach towards making music is very lackluster. Since you are friends, you know that he is not a patient person, and that he expects quick results, without even putting minimal effort into it. In fact, lets also say that you were the one that helped him set up his modest home studio, from top to bottom.

3) He is over the age of 30, already has a career, and he is married and has three kids. Meaning, consider him as being relatively established in financial terms. However, this person is not wealthy and he engages in many daily obligations, and his job requires him take on many responsibilities. Or, you can "switch" that to the opposite side of that spectrum, and say that he could be a single parent whose drowning in debt, and can barely make it through the month.

4) He only wants to make music purely for profit, and nothing else.

Closing arguments:

I could come up with more examples, but I believe that having a single person posses all these qualities and circumstances (as a whole), should be enough to provide an "open window" to address this topic objectively. So time for questions!

Q): Do you believe that a person like the one I invented in the thread, should get into music professionally?

Q): Do you believe that any person should make music?

Q): Do you believe that any person can make music?

Q): Do you believe that there is some kind of criteria for making music?

Q): Would you tell someone NOT to get into music?

Edited by VoiceEx

Okay, short answer. Everyone should make music. Reality is its own judge. Try to encourage him, but also wash your hands of actual results.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 12:15 AM, VoiceEx said:

Q): Do you believe that a person like the one I invented in the thread, should get into music professionally?

Q): Do you believe that any person should make music?

Q): Do you believe that any person can make music?

Q): Do you believe that there is some kind of criteria for making music?

Q): Would you tell someone NOT to get into music?

Q): Do you believe that a person like the one I invented in the thread, should get into music professionally?

No. They have highly unrealistic expectations. Plus, they seem more interested in making money than they are wedded to how that money could be made. By all means make music for fun.

Q): Do you believe that any person should make music?

They should, if they want to.

Q): Do you believe that any person can make music?

What is music? One man’s music is another man’s clatter.

Q): Do you believe that there is some kind of criteria for making music?

An ability to make noise.

Q): Would you tell someone NOT to get into music?

I would happily tell someone that, in my opinion, they should not get into music. I would probably stress it was just my opinion, but I would also happily explain my reasoning. The reasons may vary, but in the scenario presented, if I thought it was damaging to them. I wouldn’t say that they lacked the talent. That is far too subjective. However if their reason was to make money I would happily tell them that even for those who work damn hard, they stand a better chance of winning the lottery than major success. Talent is not necessary to have some success, but it does make it considerably easier. Hard work does make considerable difference. If they lack enthusiasm and hard work and have no artistic drive or sensibility especially.

I would be more inclined to say something if they asked me for my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, James Anderson said:

I  must   admit   I  wish  you  had   done  a  thread  about  what   a  person   would   have   to  have  to  make  it  in  the  music  industry 

You could always start that topic yourself….

:)

• Like 1

it  is  a  complex  , multifaceted   subject  what  a  person   would   have  to   have   to  make  it  in  the music  industry  .and  there  would  be   so   many  different   mixes   of  what   would  make   a  artist     or  songwriter   stand  out  .even  with  really   good   musician  that  can  do   covers  of  songs  to  the  highest  standard  .just  dont  seam to  get  any  where  in  the  music  business   because   they  dont  seem   to  understand    .doing   covers   of  songs   in  the  long  term   is  the  reason   they  will   fail  . I  have  been  writing  songs  as  a  hobby   44  years  never  played  any  bodys     music  .dont  count   . just  a  lefthanded  person  that  hears  music  in  my  head  and  has  a  chord  directory   in  my   head  that   has always  got   the   chords   I  NEED  . and   your   wright     john   I   WILL have   to  start  a  thread   about   what  it  takes   to  make  it  in  the   music   industry . but  first    I  WILL   let   my  music  do   the  talking  .  my   producer   ANDY   for  the  Ateam    has   just  installed   new  equipment  in   his  studio   to  finnish   MRBLUESMAN    FOR  THE  HITSONG  CHALLENGE . SO  it  should  be  quite  soon   I  will  get  Andy  to  get  incontact   about  sending it  for  songstuff  to  consider  and  we  can  send   the  6  minute  ish   first  recording  to show  which  ideas   didnt  make  it  to   the   finnished   recording :hammer:

• Like 1

I  AM   from   scotland      we   dont  speak   with   marbles    in  our   mouths   just   joking    

I  do   feel   about  composing   music  and   writing    lyrics   the  lyric   side   is   writing     words  in  a  different  pattern  and  saying   something   in  a  different  choice  of  words  than   normally  used     .

and  people   can   be  very   good  at  playing  complicated    music   of   others    but  ask  them  to  come  up  with  some   thing    new   and  they  wouldnt   know  where   to  start    there  playing   is  just   copying

to   learn   composing   you  have   to  understand  its  a  art  of   the  mind  its  better  to  work  out  something  in  your  head  and  only  then   pick  up  your  guitar  and  work  it  out     

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, James Anderson said:

to   learn   composing   you  have   to  understand  its  a  art  of   the  mind  its  better  to  work  out  something  in  your  head  and  only  then   pick  up  your  guitar  and  work  it  out     

I agree with the first part. It is an art. Not sure I agree with the second. Half the joy of composing is starting from a place of bewilderment, curiosity, or extreme emotion. Everything is always (and nothing more than) a tool. Most of my ideas come from experimentation and "playtime." 

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've heard Ian Brown sing live. He can't hold a melody in a paper bag, yet had a best-selling "seminal" album with the Stone Roses. And I'm fine with that. His album might be full of studio processing but fans love it. As a friend of mine once wrote in a song that went nowhere, judge not that ye be not judged.

I've always thought everybody has at least one great song in them.

When I had a professional demo studio we'd get techno crews booking a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. They didn't have anything with them, no equipment and no ideas. I'd pull out some samples and we'd construct something. They'd keep me right in arrangements, because I wasn't au fait with techno. One time, the girlfriend of one of the crew sat with me constructing, while the rest of them chatted about what they'd wear to the local techno festival. Once I'd finished, they'd take the final product around the corner to Radio Forth, which had a techno show at 6pm and it'd get played. The other engineers in the studio would ask if them getting credit for my work annoyed me. "Not at all," I'd say. "Good on them. They're only doing what Malcolm McLaren and others did. I wish I'd had the balls to do it at their age." I doubt any of them had careers but they can always look back at that time they got played on the radio.

I've taught a number of friends how to strum a few chords on guitar and they all found it therapeutic. But if any of them thought they'd make money from it I'd instruct them on the odds. I once read that there are 50,000 bands in the UK at any one time and most of them don't get signed. I'd point out that if Bonehead and Dave Rowntree had been the singers in Oasis and Blur, Britpop would never have happened, so if your face doesn't fit, forget it. Of those who do get signed, most of them will be dropped without making any money at all. Then I'd point them to Courtney Love's Salon article on what's actually in one of them million dollar recording contracts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glammerocity said:

I reread the article I had read when it originally came out. When I got to the end about " America does four things better than any other country in the world: rock music, movies, software and high-speed pizza delivery" I almost broke out laughing.

I thought we're now down to pizza delivery.

Our Rock music and especially our movies may be the world's most expensive but certainly not the best. Software is pretty much an international effort.

People willing to drive their own cars to make money for a corporation still ranks high though.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson

Here's generally how I feel about "could any person make music?"  To me, a key realization is that "there's actually more to it than first appears."  Luck really does favor the well-prepared.

On the one hand, "let nothing keep you from your chosen instrument." 

However, at the same time, learn about the craft – beginning with the realization that there is one.  When you encounter and enjoy any creative product, be it a song or a book or even a magazine article, as a consumer you're not supposed to have to notice how it was made.  But there was a process, and maybe many un-named people busy working behind the scenes to create "what 'just happened that way.'"

Flipping that idea around: "why can't I do what, to other people, is obviously so easy?"  Well, maybe the very good news is that maybe it actually isn't!

My favorite analogy is this:  "When you look at Michelangelo's David, what are two things that you do not see?  (1) Marble chips on the floor.  (2) The slightest rough surface, anywhere.  How big was the team of craftsmen who actually did that?  Very likely, Michelangelo was the project manager!

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the   number  of  people  I  HEAR  SAY    I   will  do  what ever  it  takes  to  make  it  in   the  music business   the  trouble  is  they  dont  know  what  that   is   . having   said   that   with out   having   that  determination    you  are   like   a big   muscular  boxer   that   is  a  big  softy      

• 3 weeks later...

But also:  "think outside the box."  What do you hear, constantly, in each and every television show?  In each and every movie?  Music.  But, it is not music that you are intended to focus your attention on – in fact, entirely the opposite: you're supposed to be watching the show.  You're not supposed to consciously identify just how pivotal that music actually is to the show that you are now watching.  But, it is an extremely important market for music.

A very emotive subject indeed, we all know artists that are great musicians and great vocalists that dont make it, however we all know musicians that are not that good and do make a living at performing and recording.

music for me is subjective so it makes it very difficult to sort it in my head,  i dont think their is any right answer , for instance if i had a friend who had no obvious talent but was spending a fortune on equipment and services connected to musical ambitions and was to the detriment of his/her family i would like to think i would say to them.

On the other hand there are artist out there making a living because of their difference as someone already said Ian Brown couldn't hold a note in a bucket however has been hailed as a great indie artist and has made a career out of music 

so taking that all into account we never know where it will go.