Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #9

Here is the thread for New Music Friday #9. 

For newcomers, this is generally not a full critique space (unlike the main critique board). It's meant to be a supportive thread to encourage posts of whatever you're working on, sketches, loops, snippets, beats -- whatever you like. Sometimes it just feels good to throw some work out there and know there is a community to listen and support you on your journey.

I want to briefly apologize for my limited participation the past two weeks. I work nearly 12-hours per shift 4 days per week as an assistant manager at a liquor store and have relocated my living space and studio to a new location. I finally have my desk setup, though, and hoping to hookup a few key components and start working on something today (pic to follow).

I look forward to listening to your work!

20220114_100606.jpg

Edited by Steve Mueske

22 minutes ago, Popthree said:

@Steve Mueske the back wall in your studio is really cool looking.  is it steel?

I don't know what kind of metal it is. It looks and feels like distressed bronze. The whole loft is unusual. It's 562 sq ft with a completely open floor plan. The floors are concrete stained brown with a shellac and wax finish. The ceilings are 9 ft, and I have two huge windows that overlook downtown with the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in the distance. The appliances are all stainless steel, and I have access to a rooftop swimming pool.. The loft itself is built in an old office building. The only problem is that I live about 4 blocks from a level one trauma center, which means a lot of sirens. I'm pretty happy with the space. 

Edited by Steve Mueske

@Popthree I really like the tremolo effect on the opening guitar and love a lot of the ideas in this sketch. If you take this out for another test drive and want to use that distorted wash, I'd definitely recommend taking the modulation effect off. What if you did some sort of minimal melodic thing with the wash? 

Enjoyed!

2 hours ago, Popthree said:

distorted wash?  hmm, i am guessing that you mean the extremely slow ebow swell that happens on one of the loops?

the way this setup at the moment, the first time through, only 1 loop is running, which is just a simple 3 chord progression.  after that completes 1 time, the other 2 loops come in, one being the aforementioned ebow swell, and the 2nd being some noodling on the guitar.  all 3 parts are running through the same little guitar amp, and it does have some tremolo  happening.  none of those signals are distorted, though the ebow piece may get a bit intense along towards the end.  is that what you mean?  

in "real song format" none of these parts will exist like they do in this sketch.  i'll probably be using an acoustic guitar for the main chord progression, and the noodling will mostly be replaced by an attempt at singing   :)

I didn't know how to describe the sound. I didn't mean distorted as in clipping. I thought, at first, it was a synth, but thought the likelihood of that was slim. I thought it was a distorted interval with a reverse delay or some kind of buffer freeze. E-bow makes perfect sense. The tremolo on the guitar sounds cool, it was just that e-bow sound I questioned because it was loud and it diverted my attention from the other two elements.

Edited by Steve Mueske

8 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

I finally have my desk setup

Is that a brush and pan leaning on the chair?  If so, does it help when brushing up old skills? :) 

Greg

6 minutes ago, GregB said:

Is that a brush and pan leaning on the chair?  If so, does it help when brushing up old skills? :) 

Greg

Ha ha! It is. All the cardboard and Styrofoam bits drive me nutty, so I'm sweeping often. It has since been relocated to the kitchen.

I'm afraid I've got nothing today. I'll shoot for Sunday. I don't know why, but connecting cords for a hybrid ad hoc studio makes me nutty (some peripherals are 1/4 inch to XLR, some RCA to XLR, some XLR to XLR, etc). I've got two boxes of cords, adaptors, blah blah blah, (and an extreme lack of motivation). I've got the external monitoring system connected to the mixing board, but I'm using a sub setup rather than a main setup (it's a long story). Next step will be to find the appropriate cords for my USB hub and get it interfaced to all my peripherals. I have a practice configuration, a recording configuration, and a producing configuration (because of latency and the way I like to produce), and everything still has to talk to each other.

Space-wise, I still need to find a place for my guitar racks. Then I need to figure out a practice vs. recording solution for my guitar hardware. I'm seriously not complaining, it's just complicated, and I've never had the full studio connected before.

This will not beat me!

Oh, no, I don't have a patchbay because I'm avoiding it at all costs. Plus, I'm lazy, and a bit phobic of taking that leap. So, it's mostly figuring out what's easiest for each scenario.

Sorry, hopefully Sunday. 

Edited by Steve Mueske