Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #10

Hey, Sports Fans! Welcome to the thread for NMF #10, the place you get to drop whatever the f*ck you want, talk about it for a bit (or not) and trust you have a friendly salon of engaged listeners.

I've been a bit lax (for various boring reasons) of driving this the way I'd like. Please post whatever you are working on, loops, snippets, red-headed-stepchilds, you name it. I love music, and I especially want to hear yours. I'm not kidding. This is the highlight of my week.

------

So here's mine. I've been pretty engaged with two pieces for the past week or so, one of which I posted elsewhere in the forum, and this one.

A bit of context. I do a lot of "conceptual" work, test drives, play time, and the like. 95 % of this shit I throw away, but sometimes a few pieces reach a kind of musical Bardo. This piece was largely constructed to accomplish two things: Use B-step sequencer to control all but the percussion; generate a useful amount of audio from AAS player (since upgraded to the full AAS suite). It is very raw, but run through an ongoing study of all-in-one processing. I am convinced this warrants further development. A bit boring, as is, but there are some ideas I'd like to explore. 

The working title is "Alien Sex Trance Thing," and it's the top song in this reel. Below it are updated versions of everything I've started working on for the past two months. I hope to gather it and a bunch of other shit onto a good working reel.

Till then, there's this.

https://rcrft.co/reel/whoisthemuesk/nmfsketches

Hi Steve,

I really like the beginning, it puts me in a trance.

But the melody, is quite repetitive and I seem to be looking for the song melody to go somewhere, but it is not.

I like the increasing intensity of the song, and increased tension and increased shake of the pushed sound.

Thanks for posting.

Rene

hey, well it's not something I'd usually listen to but it's well done, the distortion increases the intensity and made it kind of hard to listen to but in a good way I felt like I could hear this piece of music played during a chaotic slow motion scene in a gangsta film if that makes any sense, maybe a fight or something or shootout. I was also getting some Radiohead vibes which is never a bad thing in my head. 

19 hours ago, Rene Asologuitar said:

Hi Steve,

I really like the beginning, it puts me in a trance.

But the melody, is quite repetitive and I seem to be looking for the song melody to go somewhere, but it is not.

I like the increasing intensity of the song, and increased tension and increased shake of the pushed sound.

Thanks for posting.

Rene

Thank you for listening! Yes, this is very raw. I don't even know if it will become a song. Maybe. I found the audio for this experiment on an old hard drive and took it out for a spin. We'll see. Appreciate your listen!

17 hours ago, StevieJ said:

hey, well it's not something I'd usually listen to but it's well done, the distortion increases the intensity and made it kind of hard to listen to but in a good way I felt like I could hear this piece of music played during a chaotic slow motion scene in a gangsta film if that makes any sense, maybe a fight or something or shootout. I was also getting some Radiohead vibes which is never a bad thing in my head. 

Thx for listening! In no way is this a "done" thing. I just loaded a bunch of stems from a test drive & f*cked with the production a bit. NMF, hopefully, is a safe space to post shit we're working on or are iffy about. I def appreciate yr listen!

23 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

Till then, there's this.

Well done Steve! I listened to all the pieces on the page. Sequences was my personal favorite. You have a consistency and unity of vision I can appreciate.

When I am playing for myself, which is primarily on piano, I like to use a lot of dissonant melodies with modular changes in major/minor/diminished sequences. When recording I limit myself to shorter simpler structures as well as break out the guitar.

Although I favor traditional instruments used in unexpected combinations for my own music I enjoy anyone who has a vision of what their work should sound like and pursues it. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson

10 hours ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

Well done Steve! I listened to all the pieces on the page. Sequences was my personal favorite. You have a consistency and unity of vision I can appreciate.

When I am playing for myself, which is primarily on piano, I like to use a lot of dissonant melodies with modular changes in major/minor/diminished sequences. When recording I limit myself to shorter simpler structures as well as break out the guitar.

Although I favor traditional instruments used in unexpected combinations for my own music I enjoy anyone who has a vision of what their work should sound like and pursues it. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for listening, brother! 

19 minutes ago, Popthree said:

@Steve Mueske dude, this piece you shared is intense.  it kicks butt. i really like it.

Thanks for listening, my friend! 

On 1/21/2022 at 3:28 AM, Steve Mueske said:

Hey, Sports Fans! Welcome to the thread for NMF #10, the place you get to drop whatever the f*ck you want, talk about it for a bit (or not) and trust you have a friendly salon of engaged listeners.

I've been a bit lax (for various boring reasons) of driving this the way I'd like. Please post whatever you are working on, loops, snippets, red-headed-stepchilds, you name it. I love music, and I especially want to hear yours. I'm not kidding. This is the highlight of my week.

------

So here's mine. I've been pretty engaged with two pieces for the past week or so, one of which I posted elsewhere in the forum, and this one.

A bit of context. I do a lot of "conceptual" work, test drives, play time, and the like. 95 % of this shit I throw away, but sometimes a few pieces reach a kind of musical Bardo. This piece was largely constructed to accomplish two things: Use B-step sequencer to control all but the percussion; generate a useful amount of audio from AAS player (since upgraded to the full AAS suite). It is very raw, but run through an ongoing study of all-in-one processing. I am convinced this warrants further development. A bit boring, as is, but there are some ideas I'd like to explore. 

The working title is "Alien Sex Trance Thing," and it's the top song in this reel. Below it are updated versions of everything I've started working on for the past two months. I hope to gather it and a bunch of other shit onto a good working reel.

Till then, there's this.

I really like this piece Steve. Some great sounds and an interesting, slow build and transition between dominant sounds. I did wonder, about halfway through, if a nice soaring melodic coming in would have been a good addition.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, john said:

I really like this piece Steve. Some great sounds and an interesting, slow build and transition between dominant sounds. I did wonder, about halfway through, if a nice soaring melodic coming in would have been a good addition.

Yes, there are so many possibilities it is frightening. I'm not a huge fan of the trance genre, in general. Sometimes I directly take up the challenge of meeting my adversaries head on. Every piece like this helps refine my thoughts and ideas. Antagonism can be useful, lol!

Deeply appreciate the listen and your thoughts!

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1