Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #12

Hey Gang

As @Steve Mueske stepped back for now I thought I’d start this week’s thread. :) Next week, first to post theirs can start the thread.

This week I thought I’d post a solo piano piece that’s been rattling around in my head. Just recorded with my phone mic.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, john said:

I thought I’d post a solo piano piece that’s been rattling around in my head

I listened to this 4 times. I really like it however I can't shake the thought that I have heard it before in a film score, or something so similar to it brings the previous piece to mind. Furthermore the association keeps saying BBC production.

I could be completely off base with this but I almost feel I can identify it. It is that close to something I have heard before.

1 hour ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

I listened to this 4 times. I really like it however I can't shake the thought that I have heard it before in a film score, or something so similar to it brings the previous piece to mind. Furthermore the association keeps saying BBC production.

I could be completely off base with this but I almost feel I can identify it. It is that close to something I have heard before.

Possible. It’s always possible when we write something, that we accidentally channel something we heard, even as background music.

I had a few listens after reading your post to see if I had that feeling too. There’s nothing I can put my finger on, but if. Anything the arpeggiated section feels familiar. I just don’t know if that is from me playing or having previously heard something similar? The fact that I get that feeling from just part of the track rings alarm bells though! On a bright note, hopefully it means I haven’t inadvertently rewritten an entire track… unless the bit you feel is familiar is the chord passages… in which case I am stuffed! Lol

I like it. I think any time a common cadence is employed there will be feelings of "I've heard this before." We've had 500 years of Western music, 12 equal, with a strong tonal center in a major or minor key. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless the melody becomes immediately identifiable; in any case songs are malleable. I enjoyed this and look forward to hearing more.

Edited by Steve Mueske

7 hours ago, john said:

the bit you feel is familiar is the chord passages

Actually it is the chord progression as well as the following melody line. HOWEVER THIS DOESN'T MEAN I'M RIGHT.  This could just be my imagination.

We have all heard so many thing our minds can unconsciously imitate something OR find associations which are not there.  The most jarring part was I immediately associated it with the BBC which is more specific than just a general sounds familiar vibe.

2 minutes ago, Popthree said:

@john the first 3 chords, ringing out with that  pensive feel, made me expect to hear a dirty rap beat kick in, chords repeating, then in comes the rap lyric on top. I'm not a rap guy but that's what I thought of.

an interesting direction to take it. I like doing different versions of songs, so maybe a remix version as a collab with @ALOPRODUCTIONZ? :)

John- I like this. The arpeggiated part, it isn’t the notes, or the chordal tones, but I think the cadence of it, reminded me slightly of The Who’s Love Reign O’re Me. I wouldn’t change a thing. Many songs put to mind others, Chuck Berry or Bo Diddley rhythms have been and still are used constantly. How many songs do you hear reminds you of someone trying channel Whitney Houston? Nice song, it really sets a mood. I can see it as the sound track for some solemn movie scene, with the middle section building some type of temporary immediacy for the subject. Nicely done.

Edited by Jim622
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, john said:

having previously heard something similar

I actually don't believe there is anything wrong with unconscious imitation. It would be hard to avoid. Also this is a case where no one here can point to a definite source or even say it isn't completely original.

The association is most likely my mistake.

You should by all means keep working on it.

This is not like Jimmy Page and Robert Plant blatantly stealing from at least three different songs to create How Many More Times (How Many Times, Steal Away, & The Hunter).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

I actually don't believe there is anything wrong with unconscious imitation. It would be hard to avoid. Also this is a case where no one here can point to a definite source or even say it isn't completely original.

The association is most likely my mistake.

You should by all means keep working on it.

This is not like Jimmy Page and Robert Plant blatantly stealing from at least three different songs to create How Many More Times (How Many Times, Steal Away, & The Hunter).

Absolutely. My worry is always subliminal influence. You know, you hear something as background music, aren’t even aware you heard it until your mind regurgitates the entire piece as “fresh ideas”. The mind’s ability to do this is staggering. You could reproduce an entire piece with no idea until someone familiar with the piece shouts woah. There’s little you can do about it apart from try to be vigilant and to investigate when someone said they thought something was familiar.

I will carry on with it though. If someone identifies something I can maybe adapt at that point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim622 said:

John- I like this. The arpeggiated part, it isn’t the notes, or the chordal tones, but I think the cadence of it, reminded me slightly of The Who’s Love Reign O’re Me. I wouldn’t change a thing. Many songs put to mind others, Chuck Berry or Bo Diddley rhythms have been and still are used constantly. How many songs do you hear reminds you of someone trying channel Whitney Houston? Nice song, it really sets a mood. I can see it as the sound track for some solemn movie scene, with the middle section building some type of temporary immediacy for the subject. Nicely done.

Thanks Jim. :)

On 2/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, john said:

Hey Gang

As @Steve Mueske stepped back for now I thought I’d start this week’s thread. :) Next week, first to post theirs can start the thread.

This week I thought I’d post a solo piano piece that’s been rattling around in my head. Just recorded with my phone mic.

I love the melody.

The piano is very soothing, nice recording with just the phone.

Well done!

Rene

• Like 1

Ha! I love the placeholder lyrics. This is clipping quite a bit, but I'm sure you know that already. Cool idea!

@Popthree 

hey

“Something like that”’s a good name!

I liked it. Maybe because of the soft staccato vocal at the start, I just picture it with some soft brass accompaniment. The main riff sticks in your head pretty well. The second section melody doesn’t work quite as well as the first imo but I still enjoyed it. There’s one or two changes I less fond of, but I am interested to see what you do with this! Nice one.

cheers

John