Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #18

john

Hi Gang

It’s time for New Music Friday!

Post up your current music projects, anything from just a melody through to a full production. As experimental as you want.

I will post up yet another of the 1 take songs I recorded on my phone a little later today. :)

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Wonders Never Cease

Wonders Never Cease

Verse

Standing here, I've got view out over the world

The things I see make me sad, make me sad

When I think, what a waste we've made of it all

That kind of destruction makes me sad, makes me sad

Chorus

Could that ever change, well

Will wonders never cease?

We carry, carry on

Until it brings to our knees

Verse

Some people, put their faith in political words

I hear them saying wait and see, wait and see

But the time has come, when I feel we've got our backs to the wall

Those words have passed us by, you see, oh you see

Chorus

We carry, carry on

Verse

I'm so tired, picking up and pushing on through

The pain that we all bear, we bleed, oh we bleed

Bloody wars, tearing at our heart and soul

Flags wave, more weapons made, we bleed, oh we bleed

Chorus

We carry, carry on

• Like 4

22 hours ago, john said:

Wonders Never Cease

Very nice John.  For some reason you remind me a great deal of Terry Reid although I haven't listened to anything by him for a very long time.

I have no faith whatsoever in politicians as I believe in Voltaire's saying that young men die in wars started by old men for their own benefit.

@john this song could be something. I particularly enjoy the melancholic chord progression. I think the "makes me sad, makes me sad" could possible be reworked into something more impactful. Nothing esoteric, but there's got to be a better choice of words to convey the same message with a bit more "flair".  

I put this together over the weekend and it was started Friday so it maybe counts. I stripped back all of my tendencies to run off in unexpected directions and simply tried to make a simple song who's only goal was to be nothing more than a song.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, john said:

Wonders Never Cease

Wonders Never Cease

Verse

Chorus

We carry, carry on

Verse

Chorus

We carry, carry on

Verse

Chorus

We carry, carry on

I'm glad that you ask the question in the last chorus "could that ever cease?" At least it has a hint of hope in it. But recent world and more local events give the impression that there is no way out of this spiralling decline. I think that is what you are expressing, and you do it very well. But if humans are good at one thing, it is fighting against adversity, and it is usually ordinary humans that find a way to raise hopes, not political leaders, as you say. But I just choose not to lose hope, even in the most trying times. That is often what helps people to get through a crisis. Think about what has been happening in The Ukraine recently. Who can forget. Then remember the Russian reporter who, at risk of her own liberty and even her own life, ran out in front of millions of Russians on the state news programme and denounced her own government for what it was doing. You don't always see it coming, but that is what renews my faith in humanity 

2 minutes ago, Greg M said:

I'm glad that you ask the question in the last chorus "could that ever cease?" At least it has a hint of hope in it. But recent world and more local events give the impression that there is no way out of this spiralling decline. I think that is what you are expressing, and you do it very well. But if humans are good at one thing, it is fighting against adversity, and it is usually ordinary humans that find a way to raise hopes, not political leaders, as you say. But I just choose not to lose hope, even in the most trying times. That is often what helps people to get through a crisis. Think about what has been happening in The Ukraine recently. Who can forget. Then remember the Russian reporter who, at risk of her own liberty and even her own life, ran out in front of millions of Russians on the state news programme and denounced her own government for what it was doing. You don't always see it coming, but that is what renews my faith in humanity 

Many thanks Greg. For me, this makes the song a success. It seems to have evoked something and made you consider something, connecting it to something current. You picked up pretty well all the key messages, the futility of what is done and the hope. I couldn’t have asked for more. :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, geographyhorse said:

@john this song could be something. I particularly enjoy the melancholic chord progression. I think the "makes me sad, makes me sad" could possible be reworked into something more impactful. Nothing esoteric, but there's got to be a better choice of words to convey the same message with a bit more "flair".  

I put this together over the weekend and it was started Friday so it maybe counts. I stripped back all of my tendencies to run off in unexpected directions and simply tried to make a simple song who's only goal was to be nothing more than a song.

I like your initial sounds and your effects…. It feels very watery. I struggled at the transitions.

When the drums came in I felt it could do with downplaying the original sound and something more soaring or in your face would have created a bigger impact.

When the piano came in, it just didn’t sit right. Maybe have the piano play some lead in notes in the bars before the transition.

Otherwise… it’s strange… your chords are, I think, sectional, but your melody is more through composed. I would suggest 2 refrain like melodic hooks. If you do have repeated hook refrains, the fact that I didn’t notice them is more related to the fact your melody largely stays within the same smallish range of notes and largely similar dynamics.

I hope this helps!

On 3/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, john said:

Many thanks Greg. For me, this makes the song a success. It seems to have evoked something and made you consider something, connecting it to something current. You picked up pretty well all the key messages, the futility of what is done and the hope. I couldn’t have asked for more. :)

Happy to help

• Like 1

• Editors
On 3/19/2022 at 4:55 AM, john said:

Wonders Never Cease

Wonders Never Cease

Verse

Chorus

We carry, carry on

Verse

Chorus

We carry, carry on

Verse

Chorus

We carry, carry on

Sounds beautiful John. I can totally hear this one in a very Beatles-y production. And the topic is so very relevant to our times, I feel like this could be a good pick for releasing as a stand alone single. Are you planning of some sort of a bridge for this? Cuz it'd be interesting to see a glimmer of hope appear somewhere just before going - nope, on your knees. lol

I had a gig over the weekend after 2 years in Bangalore. Interesting how much of a shock it can be to your body and mind when you've not had such a long and exhausting day outdoors in a while due to the pandemic. I'm recovering from feeling pretty exhausted and sore thru the week. I did start writing a Tiny Tune, I should revisit and finish the idea!

• Like 2

Hi John,

Quite nice.  Did you perform the tracks together?  Thinking you did, but also thinking the vocals could be alittle more distinct and powerful in the execution, so maybe 2 tracks for performance.

One little suggestion on the lyrics 

22 hours ago, Mahesh said:

"Until we're down on our knees." 

• john unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey John, so glad to come across this.  The first two verses… were they written before verse 3 or after?  The reason I ask is V3 is twice as tight, closer to the bone.

”I’m so tired, picking up and pushing on through”        

Brilliant!  Would love to hear that rhythm in the first two verses.

second thought, have you and Alistair ever done a collaboration?  I think this song is so close to both his lyrical and performance style vocal and guitar.

glad to see your post

Edited by McnaughtonPark

On 3/19/2022 at 10:29 PM, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

Very nice John.  For some reason you remind me a great deal of Terry Reid although I haven't listened to anything by him for a very long time.

I have no faith whatsoever in politicians as I believe in Voltaire's saying that young men die in wars started by old men for their own benefit.

Thanks Clay. Sorry for the late reply. It’s flattering to have a comparison with Terry. :)

On 3/19/2022 at 10:58 PM, Jim622 said:

John - nice job. I usually get turned off by political songs. The last 2 decades have worn on me, but you have done a nice job of skirting the political and emphasizing the tragedy and the futility.

Thanks Jim! I wanted it to be apolitical. Hopefully where it touches on politics it is about things politicians commonly share.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, Mahesh said:

Sounds beautiful John. I can totally hear this one in a very Beatles-y production. And the topic is so very relevant to our times, I feel like this could be a good pick for releasing as a stand alone single. Are you planning of some sort of a bridge for this? Cuz it'd be interesting to see a glimmer of hope appear somewhere just before going - nope, on your knees. lol

I had a gig over the weekend after 2 years in Bangalore. Interesting how much of a shock it can be to your body and mind when you've not had such a long and exhausting day outdoors in a while due to the pandemic. I'm recovering from feeling pretty exhausted and sore thru the week. I did start writing a Tiny Tune, I should revisit and finish the idea!

Thanks Mahesh! Not too dated in feel?

On 3/24/2022 at 4:11 PM, Peggy said:

Hi John,

Quite nice.  Did you perform the tracks together?  Thinking you did, but also thinking the vocals could be alittle more distinct and powerful in the execution, so maybe 2 tracks for performance.

One little suggestion on the lyrics 

"Until we're down on our knees." 

Thanks Peggy, Just a straight phone recording with a little EQ, compression and reverb.

22 hours ago, McnaughtonPark said:

Hey John, so glad to come across this.  The first two verses… were they written before verse 3 or after?  The reason I ask is V3 is twice as tight, closer to the bone.

”I’m so tired, picking up and pushing on through”        

Brilliant!  Would love to hear that rhythm in the first two verses.

second thought, have you and Alistair ever done a collaboration?  I think this song is so close to both his lyrical and performance style vocal and guitar.

glad to see your post

All drafted at the same time. Though, verse 3 was the longest to settled into it’s finished form.

I tried to approach it like a lay up. Verse 1 & 2 helping establishing an emotional space ready for the contrast of verse 3 hopefully having that bit more punch. As for the rhythm… I’ll take a look at that. Thnx MP!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john said:

All drafted at the same time. Though, verse 3 was the longest to settled into it’s finished form.

I tried to approach it like a lay up. Verse 1 & 2 helping establishing an emotional space ready for the contrast of verse 3 hopefully having that bit more punch. As for the rhythm… I’ll take a look at that. Thnx MP!

V1 l1.   Sitting higher, or standing higher but the 4 syllables instead of 3, same for V2 l1.  I guess something like unsure people or there’s some people.  That seems to lead in to the rest smoother and finds the rhythm of V3.  

8 hours ago, john said:

Thanks Jim! I wanted it to be apolitical. Hopefully where it touches on politics it is about things politicians commonly share.

John - no apology necessary. It was very well done on a subject that needs to be kept on the front page.

• Like 1