Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #19

Okay, I've not been around much for two weeks. I'm trying to figure out boundaries, commitments, etc. Sorry. We all mean the best, and I'm crazy. John and others, thank you for the patience (and the tools necessary for me to create in public).

My live reel, as always, is here:

https://play.reelcrafter.com/whoisthemuesk/musicistheriver

This week I have been focusing on two pieces. The first in this reel is an extremely cut and mixed version of Sevish's "Let's Begin," which I hope to premier on a panel for Microtonal Adventures Fest. The second is an early sketch of a new piece in Bitwig utilizing an ultra-hi-def digital interpretation of tape-style "printing." 

I'm really trying to develop a comprehensive, new style of sound.

Please don't hurt me.

------

I'm listening and will participate this week.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Steve Mueske said:

Okay, I've not been around much for two weeks. I'm trying to figure out boundaries, commitments, etc. Sorry. We all mean the best, and I'm crazy. John and others, thank you for the patience (and the tools necessary for me to create in public).

This week I have been focusing on two pieces. The first in this reel is an extremely cut and mixed version of Sevish's "Let's Begin," which I hope to premier on a panel for Microtonal Adventures Fest. The second is an early sketch of a new piece in Bitwig utilizing an ultra-hi-def digital interpretation of tape-style "printing." 

Please don't hurt me.

------

This is really great Steve! 👍🏻  

This is highly imaginative plus your sound is growing much better both tonally as well as texturally.  The underlining musical sound is progressing in a much more sophisticated manner also.

Well done!  It makes me want more!

• Like 1

@Eddie Tucker just a head’s up for this week’s topic

I’m in a lot of pain right now, but I will get to this. I also have a partial song to record and post. I have verse1 pre-chorus and chorus. A bit late but hopefully tomorrow. I am pretty exhausted so if you don’t mind I’ll leave yours until tomorrow too?

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 10:29 AM, john said:

On 3/24/2022 at 9:55 PM, Steve Mueske said:

Please don't hurt me.

------

Steve,

Let's begin is fantastic. It reminds of something really detailed that Aphex Twin would've done. Fantastic stuff. Love the pad melodies and the interactive beat elements going on. There's so much detail, I can barely take it. 

I've heard the second one. It grew on me since the last time I heard it. The textures and reverb/delay treatments are interesting. It's got me curious thinking about it's further development. 

The Death of Love is up there with my favorites from you. Seriously F*cking Powerful!!! Please make this available on Bandcamp or something so I can add it to my collection. 

I posted this on last Friday's post, but I've worked on it over the week and I think it's closer to where I think it belongs sonically. 

11 hours ago, geographyhorse said:

Steve,

Let's begin is fantastic. It reminds of something really detailed that Aphex Twin would've done. Fantastic stuff. Love the pad melodies and the interactive beat elements going on. There's so much detail, I can barely take it. 

I've heard the second one. It grew on me since the last time I heard it. The textures and reverb/delay treatments are interesting. It's got me curious thinking about it's further development. 

The Death of Love is up there with my favorites from you. Seriously F*cking Powerful!!! Please make this available on Bandcamp or something so I can add it to my collection. 

Thanks! Let's Begin is my remix of Sevish's Some Things Must, which I hope to premier in May. It's in 22edo, which is such a beautiful temperament. Brendan Byrnes almost exclusively in 22. The second piece I sent to you privately after taking a first pass at a concept.

RE: The Death of Love. It was formerly called Bereft. It was added to Look and comes right after Slow Motion Suicide. I think you should already have it?

Looking forward to listening and commenting on your track after work tonight!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 8:02 PM, geographyhorse said:

I posted this on last Friday's post, but I've worked on it over the week and I think it's closer to where I think it belongs sonically. 

I still dig the simplicity and honesty. Lots of inspired flourishes and production choices. I think the snare is too loud, and could use a little more body. Just for yucks, throw a spectrum analyzer on it and find out where the upper mid peaks are, then use a notch filter with a very narrow band and poke it right in the middle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Mueske said:

I still dig the simplicity and honesty. Lots of inspired flourishes and production choices. I think the snare is too loud, and could use a little more body. Just for yucks, throw a spectrum analyzer on it and find out where the upper mid peaks are, then use a notch filter with a very narrow band and poke it right in the middle.

I poked it around the 300range. It sounds a little strange there, so I brought in a slightly wider band around 1700 to fill it out and that sounds a bit better. It's an interesting idea. I'm gonna have to fool around with it. 

Good call. It plays nice with the snaps as well. 

I've also been getting side chain crazy on a couple of experiments. Testing different instruments and patterns and side chaining them to filters and compression to see what is interesting and what sounds awful. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, geographyhorse said:

I've also been getting side chain crazy on a couple of experiments. Testing different instruments and patterns and side chaining them to filters and compression to see what is interesting and what sounds awful. 

These kinds of experiments, I believe, are integral to creating and understanding a personal mixing style.

• Like 1

• john unpinned this topic