Your Ad Could Be Here

Questions about Animated Music Video

Hey everybody. Me and my colleague are slowly working on turning stuff serious. So I was wondering about how much professional music videos costs. Especially animated ones. Japanese anime like would be best (the high quality movie anime stuff i mean). I wasn't able to find much online. Just one website gave a price of 4000-8000$ for 60 seconds.

Is it possible to find cheaper ones or might this one be already cheap in that topic?

I really have NO idea about the market 😅

oh no i can't 😅 I can produce music but not anime music videos. That's why I thought about hiring someone or a studio that could do that. 

On 7/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, TDM said:

oh no i can't 😅 I can produce music but not anime music videos. That's why I thought about hiring someone or a studio that could do that. 

So much depends on the number of still images used to make up your animation, and the number of moving parts. A number of manga styles use low numbers of stills and rely upon zooming on on the still and movement of the still within the frame to give the feeling of movement. Similarly, the majority of the frame could be still but one arm articulates at the elbow. The number of points of articulation, the detail of the scene backdrop and other scene components make a huge difference in cost… so price for set times and number of frames is too simplistic for pricing.

A good idea is to contact local art schools and colleges and see if you can get a working relationship with someone actively pursuing professional animation, looking to expand their portfolio.

I have a feeling like that will cost much more than 8000$ for 60 seconds then 😵 

But yes contacting art schools and such seems like a great idea, thank you @john

I think like that it should also be a lot cheaper than taking that service from professional studios. The only problem will be finding someone who can create the style of anime I'm looking for. 

1 hour ago, TDM said:

I have a feeling like that will cost much more than 8000$ for 60 seconds then 😵 

But yes contacting art schools and such seems like a great idea, thank you @john

I think like that it should also be a lot cheaper than taking that service from professional studios. The only problem will be finding someone who can create the style of anime I'm looking for. 

Put together an Ad.

If you look for a video collaborator you might even get it for free, and it can be just as good as a pro studio if you get the right person.

Look especially to colleges and universities that have large media departments and courses in animation. You can then place the Ad on campus noticeboards. Going the route of contacting dept lecturers to be a part of a final year project will mean that it gets significant devoted time, but it can come with restrictions, so you might be better seeking the students directly first.

If you have plans for the song and a history in music, mention it. It stands to reason that students want exposure too. The more exposure, the more seriously they will take it.

Build in something like "We plan to do X with it, but if I am really, really happy with the results then we will do Y as well". that way they know they get max exposure by making you happy ( and you are much less likely to have the student(s) shutting you out of the creative input.

Remember to mention previous releases, upcoming and future releases, the possibility of an ongoing relationship etc. All of these make it more appealing and will get them more willing to put in more work.

We could (if song and video are of good quality) add your vid to playlists on Songstuff, Independent Music Stage, and SSUK and/or feature you on the same. So, for example, being included in our newsletter sees your video being put in front of up to 21,000 people. Even the possibility of these might help you?

• 1 year later...

Well, let me share a little anecdote from my own journey. A friend of mine, deep into indie music, once wanted to create an animated video on a tight budget. They scoured the web, just like you, and stumbled upon a talented animator who was building their portfolio. Long story short, they got a top-notch video for a fraction of the typical cost. So, while $4000-$8000 may seem standard, there's always a chance to find a hidden gem.