Your Ad Could Be Here

Music Achievements

8A678E87-1CA4-4757-9D81-66783027E32F.webp

Hey gang

Have you achieved as much with your music as you once thought you would?

If the answer would be “YES”, what do you put that down to?

If the answer would be “NO”, what do you believe is the main thing that held you back?

Please be detailed if you can!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

My answer is NO. I think the main thing that held me back was reality. 1) I'm old trying to get into a young persons game. 2) There are millions of songs to go up against. 3) The main one, not enough time and devotion. I rarely have/had time to work on songs let alone all the time it takes to actively promote it in the proper way/s.

At least those are the reasons I'm sticking with. Not being that great overall would be in the top five if I dug more. :)

:rockon:

• Like 2

• Editors

My answer would be "NO" as well.

As for the reasoning, it's multiple things. For starters, I started my music career when I was a teenager. My idea of a music career then was quite grand and idealistic; which is far from what I believe now as to what my career as a musician needs to be. 

Besides that, I would blame it to real world circumstances such as survival & financial dependencies, limited access to studio environments and such.

I would more so blame it on myself. I think in many ways, I've stopped myself from achieving things that simply could have been if I was better prepared, patient & level-headed when I needed to be; instead of rushing it. But it's opened me up to a huge learning process where I'm getting better each time I release something. Even if I have not achieved things that I thought of achieving then, I've still learnt an invaluable and irreplaceable amount of knowledge & experience in music & in life which I cannot trade for anything in this world. 

On that note, I wonder if I'd ever feel like I've achieved everything that I wanted to. Even if I did, I'm not sure if that'd make me happy. Cuz you know, the highway ride seems a lot more exciting than the destination. At least for now :) 

• Like 4

Reality bites. My plans as a young teenager modified with my own brushes with that world. I realised it could be a poison chalice, or at best, it didn't necessarily agree with me.

That said, my life has completely not gone the way I imagined it due to health reasons. Now, I plan to be active in my own music (instead of just other people's!) to achieve much more modest and realistic goals.

The biggest thing holding most people back, is themselves. With me, for example, self-belief, or the lack of it, was a problem. Add to that, fame did not appeal. It still doesn't. However I am comfortable with having a more modest following that enables me to be full time in music, without thinking I'll be in a position to spend this quarter's royalties on a private jet! It doesn't need to be all or nothing. It's amazing how prevalent that view is!

Needs for ready money and serious obligations to provided it also made their demands, but life has changed and things that were limitations are no longer limitations.

I still want to help others, but after years of avoiding pursuing my own career as a writer and performer, I'm back preparing recordings for just that. I am quite content that I will not be a sex symbol (lol) and that I doubt there will be any wildfire explosion of interest in me. The issue will be quite the opposite. My fear of loss of control of the situation as a younger man simply doesn't exist and I'm very happy about that.

Not everyday issues for most artists who seem to want to be noticed and entirely happy with any amount of attention.

Point is, do what works for you. If you want to be huge, it's not rocket science. Really. It's just not for me.

• Like 4

As a musician, yes, I have achieved way more than I ever expected and I've given up public performances now. They took the good out of me physically, but I'm glad I did them.  

When I moved to Canada, I got a job at the university in the music school.  As a 100% mediocre musician, I got way more opportunities than I deserved by my abilities. I started giving myself goals based on locally available venues, and played them all. I got to perform with the local symphony (1st trumpet no less) for a pops concert, played at the largest venues for music in the city (and province), and recorded and performed with a number of bands, including one of the most popular rock bands to come out of this province. I would never have dreamed of doing anything like this in my home city (Bristol, England).

As a recording engineer, yes - similarly, I have worked as a recording engineer on projects larger than my abilities should have allowed me to, sometimes very reluctantly, like when I had to record an 80 piece symphony orchestra.  I've recorded a number of albums, including two by a pretty well respected classical guitarist.

As a composer, not yet. This is the part I've invested most into, and yet, feel I have seen the least amount of progress.  Not having a mentor is the key here.  I have sought advice, but never been given anything that you'd consider long term enough to make a difference to my progress. I did a diploma in film composition, but never felt any connection to my tutor.  I have done short film scores, I have written a couple of songs that appeared on a funk album, and I have done a few originals that I've had local singers sing for me. I've arranged and produced albums too by others, which is something I couldn't ever have imagined doing.  But I've never released a full album of my own stuff. I'm getting closer to my goal though, even though my hearing is not so good these days. I did an RPM EP last year, so if I can put together a five track EP in a month, I should be able to do an album over the course of a year or so, right?  We'll see.  

• Like 2

YES.

• Blossoming late in life, I've written music which I think is good. 
  • I've been amazed that I've been able to create quality finished products at an affordable price via the remarkable tools available to the amateur with a home studio.
  • It has been a pleasant but unexpected surprise that people outside of my family and friends have listened and expressed their appreciation.

Greg

• Like 3

My answer is, 'yes.' I'm signed to the same record label as Missy Elliott and Robin Thicke. I have had a number 1 single on the UK Talk Radio station chart hits on MTV USA, and am currently number 23 on a major American network.

However, it's happened later in life than I would have liked but I put this down to not studying song writing until I was 49, and learning that the first step in success is writing a catchy song that stands out from the crowd.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My answer would have to be yes and no... as you get older and as the music landscape changes I think you have to change your aims in music along with that

On 8/10/2022 at 5:00 PM, john said:

8A678E87-1CA4-4757-9D81-66783027E32F.webp

Hey gang

Have you achieved as much with your music as you once thought you would?

If the answer would be “YES”, what do you put that down to?

If the answer would be “NO”, what do you believe is the main thing that held you back?

Please be detailed if you can!

Cheers

John

At one point I wanted to be famous, write hit songs etc, but I'm so glad now that never happened. As to why it never happened, it's quite simple in hindsight - I wasn't good enough - not even close.

As with so many things in life though, you find that you plan and work towards one thing and something else happens instead. I genuinely like some of the songs I've written since writing what I want to rather than trying to write something to sell; I feel I'm on the right musical trajectory now and I like being able to do my own thing.

I know it sounds a bit "well, he would say that, wouldn't he" - but I really think that if I'd have achieved all I wanted to in music as a naive youngster, I would have hated it.

Edited by Chris W
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Noob

As of now, I’m still working my way to achieving my goals for music. I think the main thing that’s holding me back is my inactivity on mainstream social media.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, Janice said:

My answer is, 'yes.' I'm signed to the same record label as Missy Elliott and Robin Thicke. I have had a number 1 single on the UK Talk Radio station chart hits on MTV USA, and am currently number 23 on a major American network.

However, it's happened later in life than I would have liked but I put this down to not studying song writing until I was 49, and learning that the first step in success is writing a catchy song that stands out from the crowd.

I am glad you are seeing some progress Janice. It’s a good start!