Your Ad Could Be Here

Seasonal variances in music release and listening

Do you think seasons can have practical implications that can be used in predicting the best time for an artist/record company to promote and release certain moods and types of music?

Do you consider the season and moods of your songs when you are planning and preparing for your releases?

Do you think listeners gravitate towards certain types of music during different seasons?

• Like 1

I remember Iron Maiden always released a January single when the market was quiet, which is how they got #1s.

Of course I have a close affinity to the years 1970-'74, when a Christmas song was de rigeur. I can also attest to their popularity with audiences. Bang out the opening chords to Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody at the start of a gig and you've got them already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glammerocity said:

I remember Iron Maiden

Great examples of seasonal marketing strategies that were very effective. 

• 6 months later...

Thanks for including my post here, @Peggy. I wonder if there's been any research done on this. For instance, do people crave sunny music (like The Beach Boys!) in the deep cold Winter? 

17 hours ago, Alicatt said:

Thanks for including my post here, @Peggy. I wonder if there's been any research done on this. 

Sure, there's research and analytics, and with global streaming services there is a  lot of data available to use, both from creators and listeners. But ..I think a lot of it is common sense. Just in self-reflection, on when and how an individual creates or listens to music, I think similar results would emerge. 

18 hours ago, Alicatt said:

For instance, do people crave sunny music (like The Beach Boys!) in the deep cold Winter? 

I would think some may, but I think most people would gravitate to sunny music in the summer, because of the seasonal influences.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:30 PM, Peggy said:

Do you think seasons can have practical implications that can be used in predicting the best time for an artist/record company to promote and release certain moods and types of music?

@Peggy Yes, I do think that seasons have practical implications for releases. Absolutely. Especially when those releases are paired up with the right holidays and cultural associations. in fact, if you look at our history, its a tried and tested formula that's been used for centuries. One could argue, that we have practically shaped our entire civilization around seasons. I mean, if pushing agenda's worked for kings and queens, than why couldn't it work for us 👍

That being said, I would like to point out something in regards to overly relying on specific seasons. What happens if you finish an album at the end of spring, but its so called 'ideal' release date would be in the winter. That's a lot of time to kill 😅

Do you consider the season and moods of your songs when you are planning and preparing for your releases?

The story my music is based on takes place in specific seasons. As such, its something I do consider. Even the sound I engineered and some of the instruments I chose indeed a play role in reflecting the seasonal element in story. I know its overkill but I think its hella fun to make music this way!

Do you think listeners gravitate towards certain types of music during different seasons?

Yes. As I mentioned earlier during my conversation with @Alicatt I think it all boils down to science. Certain seasons, certain months, cultural influences (etc), they all play a part in influencing what people are more likely to gravitate towards, and when its more likely to happen. There are also different health benefits in difference seasons. Which in turn, also affects people's behaviors and what they are more likely to do.

Seasonal changes and weather changes affect practically all life on earth. In fact, the only way to avoid being influenced by seasonal changes is to be either: Dead, frozen, or stuck in outer space 😅👍

Edited by VoiceEx
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:52 PM, Peggy said:

Sure, there's research and analytics, and with global streaming services there is a  lot of data available to use, both from creators and listeners. But ..I think a lot of it is common sense. Just in self-reflection, on when and how an individual creates or listens to music, I think similar results would emerge. 

I would think some may, but I think most people would gravitate to sunny music in the summer, because of the seasonal influences.

This is so interesting, because I'm usually wanting music that is opposite of the current season. In the Winter, I gravitate toward sunny music. In the Summer, I keep it chill.  :)

• Like 1

And then add in another factor when targeting ... the Southern Hemisphere seasonal timing being different from the Northern Hemisphere .. reminded me of Christmas In the Sand 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:59 AM, VoiceEx said:

That being said, I would like to point out something in regards to overly relying on specific seasons. What happens if you finish an album at the end of spring, but its so called 'ideal' release date would be in the winter. That's a lot of time to kill 😅

Well let's see.. Plan and be well prepared for the winter release, consider targeting the other Hemisphere 🤣, or  start/finish your next release while you're waiting for the season to catch up. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 8:44 PM, Peggy said:

Well let's see.. Plan and be well prepared for the winter release, consider targeting the other Hemisphere 🤣, or  start/finish your next release while you're waiting for the season to catch up. 

I love the idea of Indiana Jonesing you're way across the globe 🤣

• Haha 1