Your Ad Could Be Here

Are Artists getting less respectful ?

iv been reading an article written by Camilla Moore  in Celebrity Toob, dated 2015, that noted 10 famous music Stars who are horrible to their fans.

Is is getting worse ?

can an Artists action turn off their fans ?

and is fan/musician  interaction important.

any thoughts ?

11 hours ago, Jac said:

can an Artists action turn off their fans ?

and is fan/musician  interaction important.

Considering the Lizzo news and what the lawsuit by her dance teams alleges, it seems that for an artist, to build a fanbase and fame, based on things the artist doesn't really believe or adhere to, isn't very respectful to their fans and will turn fans off.  

And when an artist isn't respectful of their  performance support teams and the fanbase becomes aware, there is a price to pay when the "hypocrisy" gets exposed...as you can now see on X (Twitter).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peggy said:

Considering the Lizzo news and what the lawsuit by her dance teams alleges, it seems that for an artist, to build a fanbase and fame, based on things the artist doesn't really believe or adhere to, isn't very respectful to their fans and will turn fans off.  

And when an artist isn't respectful of their  performance support teams and the fanbase becomes aware, there is a price to pay when the "hypocrisy" gets exposed...as you can now see on X (Twitter).

Yes, iv heard there is a backlash from fans of Lizzo about how shes treated her team (i'm not X ie twitter but read other reports )

Fans appear to  be saying she's a hypocrite.

Showing respect  to fans seems to be  getting more important than Artist are aware of.

Is it lack of an Artist awareness whats happening.?

Artists acting badly is nothing new. But they appear to be forgetting , it does really matter what fans think.

The days of a ' l really couldnt careless attitude' appears to not hold sway anymore as vast media reporting holds sway for fans instant information.

Whether its from musicians or actors, some of both dont seem to care what fans think, but look what happened to Will Smith, his fans were outraged. Fans opinion nearly finished off  Johnny Depp career.

So if an Artist really could'nt careless what fans think, is that disrespectful ?

Fans are saying 'yes' more than they did in 2015.

and if an Artist doesnt care to read what fan's are 'feeling' it could be the nail in the coffin for them concerning their career.

The days of disrespecting their fans seems to be turning.

It appears so,

after all,  the fans are the Artist bread and butter.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:28 AM, Jac said:

So if an Artist really could'nt careless what fans think, is that disrespectful ?

The act of simply thinking a certain way is harmless. However, I think that the problem starts if those thoughts turn into actions. For example, if the artist decides to voice disrespectful opinions unwisely, and in public, then they shouldn't be surprised if there are consequences.

To put that in perspective. You mentioned Will Smith. Its likely that if he pulled that stunt before the internet existed, then chances are that incident would have 'died out' relatively quickly. I mean, sure, I imagine there might have been a bit of backlash. Perhaps a bit of occasional mockery on TV when ratings get low. But nothing him and his team wouldn't be able to "brush off". The incident would 'go away' and eventually be forgotten.

However, because of the internet, nowadays everyone and their dog have capitalized on that incident. He's effectively turned into a 'meme'. And due to the popularity of that incident, other issues related to him started getting a bigger spotlight. His relationship issues, his mental issues, thing's he's done in the past (etc etc). Then other celebrities started getting involved, news outlets, popular commentators, and Chris Rock even included a segment making fun of the incident in one of this shows. Which in turn, upset will Smith. I.e the whole thing became a circus.

My point being, I imagine that there are plenty of musicians that secretly don't really care about their fans at all, or only see them as a cash cow. But if they (the artists) started expressing those thoughts or acting on those thoughts, then that's probably not going to end very well. For better or worse, that old 'bridge' between artist and fan has fizzled out to an extent. Which is something I think that all artists should be mindful of.

Edited by VoiceEx
  • Like 2

I can tell you, it can be tough to stay grounded. A lot of labels surround their artists with Yes men, people that inflate the artist's opinion of themselves. The I'm is not well being but to encourage the artists towards being more easily exploited. They isolate them, and replace their friends with yes men who will advise the artist not always with their best interest at heart.

If the artist can stay grounded, and keep their friends, they will likely be okay. If not, they are encouraged to be narcissistic, ego monsters, paranoid, money-driven horror shows.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, john said:

it can be tough to stay grounded

I was so disappointed when Ariana had her donut licking episode..😜

On 8/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, john said:

I can tell you, it can be tough to stay grounded. A lot of labels surround their artists with Yes men, people that inflate the artist's opinion of themselves.

I think that Yes men are creepy and dangerous. Its oldschool manipulation. Though I think a good way to keep things grounded is to preemptively aim for sustainability, consistency, and structure, before aiming for anything else. I think that in these times only fools attach themselves to the majors. Not only is running that game unnecessary, but it is also unhealthy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, buckoff said:

I seen the Chris Rock comedy show on Will on net flix , something about Wills wife I forget now 

He's brutaly funny 

Absolutely. I've seen that show too. Chris Rock is one of my favorite comedians. Though in case you have forgotten what the incident was about... here. Enjoy the show 😅👍

43 minutes ago, buckoff said:

He said why didn't I hit him back? My parents raised me right and don't fight in front of white people 

that was the ending . funny stuff before all that lol 

AI made him do it :jumping38:

• Haha 1

I went to see Ranbow in 1977. We used to follow the bands to their hotel after a gig to get autographs, so as Richie Blackmore headed into his hotel I asked for an autograph. "Get out my f*ckin' way," he said. His grumpy reputation was upheld. I never bought another of his stupid records.

Rickie Lee Jones was over two hours late during her addiction period late-70s and people weren't happy. She also started a riot at a gig in Germany with something she said. I'm still a fan.

Meanwhile, Rory Gallagher was over two hours late for a gig but he was mightily cheered.  People somehow knew Rickie was late because she was smacked off her head, while Rory was just delayed. People must've missed late trains and buses hanging on past midnight.

Steve Van Zandt spent over an hour talking politics with us backstage. He was very interested in acid rain, a topic du jour at the time.

Van Morrison is another oldie with a miserable bugger of a rep, though I found him to be the nicest old lady I ever met. (That's actually a quote by George Bernard Shaw about Henry James, so credit to the OP.) Then again, I wasn't in his band, I was just driving them around. He spoke to them through his MD at rehearsal. A bit weird but probably not disrespectful.

So I don't think it's getting worse. There have always been bits of both, much like anything else in music: loud guitarists, annoying hangers-on, drugs, tinnitus, vari-speed drummers, etc etc etc ad nauseum. I suspect we hear more about it now and I think maybe fans expect more, which might be because artists do more, having social media to communicate in ways we didn't have in my youth. Then again, maybe not; I'm not big on social media. Ask me about autographs outside hotels.

Edited by Glammerocity
  • Like 2