Your Ad Could Be Here

Why do I feel like every lyric I write sounds bad

• Noob

I started off with poetry and I’ve been learning a little more about music so I could write a song

But every song I write sounds bad.

I realized the possible reason as to why my song writing might be bad was because I made every line rhyme with the next one. So I changed that up a bit.

But when I did it still didn’t sound good to me, I tried writing deeply from the heart and letting words flow out, but because I haven’t experienced what the character/narrator in my song is experiencing it doesn’t sound authentic and instead sounds forced and like I’m trying too hard. I’m hesitant to share lyrics for critique cause the songs themselves aren’t fully finished because I keep starting over.

I also have a hard time coming up with a tune that doesn’t sound like every mainstream song.

I have never shared the lyrics I’ve written recently, and I intend to keep it that way ‘til it feels good enough to put out for critique

• 3 weeks later...

Learning songwriting is a process. Anyone can rhyme, but what makes it interesting? The story, the wordplay, something else? And music, that's a whole 'nother step.

How do you walk a thousand miles?

You keep taking steps.

James Taylor is a master, certainly! But he's not the only one and if you imitate him you'll be a poor reflection of someone else. Stravinsky once said, "Good composers borrow, Great composers Steal!" So borrow ideas and concepts, but speak with your own voice. Always be cognizant that you're learning how to express yourself. What makes you different? What makes your viewpoint interesting to others?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pantonal said:

Learning songwriting is a process. Anyone can rhyme, but what makes it interesting? The story, the wordplay, something else? And music, that's a whole 'nother step.

How do you walk a thousand miles?

You keep taking steps.

James Taylor is a master, certainly! But he's not the only one and if you imitate him you'll be a poor reflection of someone else. Stravinsky once said, "Good composers borrow, Great composers Steal!" So borrow ideas and concepts, but speak with your own voice. Always be cognizant that you're learning how to express yourself. What makes you different? What makes your viewpoint interesting to others?

Well said Steve. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Also remember that this never happens:

"Suddenly, the heavens open and a beam of light shines down from Heaven as the Angels are up there, singing to you the Perfect Song, so that all you have to do now is to record it [and retire]."

Don't "keep starting over," because if you do, you won't "do" anything.  Instead, keep every version of everything that you write, and don't be afraid to let someone else hear it. (Especially in a safe place like "right here.")  But also, don't find yourself "craving 'affirmation.'"  When a song sounds good to you, it is good.

"Creativity is not deterministic."  There is no "right answer."  A song is never truly "finished."  And a significant part of the process is – frankly – "trial and error."  Or maybe just "trial."  "Experimentation."  The person who finally hears "the song that you decided to release" never hears, and probably never suspects, all of the stuff that you didn't decide to include.  "To them, it simply sounds 'inevitable.'" The decision-making can't be seen ... and you probably should prefer it to be that way. (Just tell 'em that it's magic ...)

But to this I would add one more thought: "don't 'discard' anything."  What didn't work on this one might be perfect for the next one.  Newspapers used to keep what they called "the morgue," where they kept the stuff that they didn't use.  Because, every now and then, they'd go back to it and find exactly what they [now ...] needed.

Edited by MikeRobinson

On 11/6/2023 at 3:12 AM, MikeRobinson said:

Also remember that this never happens:

"Suddenly, the heavens open and a beam of light shines down from Heaven as the Angels are up there, singing to you the Perfect Song, so that all you have to do now is to record it [and retire]."

Don't "keep starting over," because if you do, you won't "do" anything.  Instead, keep every version of everything that you write, and don't be afraid to let someone else hear it. (Especially in a safe place like "right here.")  But also, don't find yourself "craving 'affirmation.'"  When a song sounds good to you, it is good.

"Creativity is not deterministic."  There is no "right answer."  A song is never truly "finished."  And a significant part of the process is – frankly – "trial and error."  Or maybe just "trial."  "Experimentation."  The person who finally hears "the song that you decided to release" never hears, and probably never suspects, all of the stuff that you didn't decide to include.  "To them, it simply sounds 'inevitable.'" The decision-making can't be seen ... and you probably should prefer it to be that way. (Just tell 'em that it's magic ...)

But to this I would add one more thought: "don't 'discard' anything."  What didn't work on this one might be perfect for the next one.  Newspapers used to keep what they called "the morgue," where they kept the stuff that they didn't use.  Because, every now and then, they'd go back to it and find exactly what they [now ...] needed.

"The Morgue" is an interesting concept and very close to my philosophy on song writing. I used to think that every thing I wrote was great, and I recorded everything. But what I have come to realise is that, just because I have created something, it doesn't mean that it is great. So now I have a number of folders open to me when I write songs. I tend to be quite prolific at times so there is a lot of material of my laptop. 

So, firstly I have a folder for all song ideas that I have been working on. Some are finished but are being left for a while prior to a potential re-write or edit. Some are part-finishes songs. The ones where the idea came to me but it only generated one verse and a chorus, and there are some that are just waiting for music.

I have a second folder that I call "B-Sides" which is where I place all the songs that I have written that I don't think are of good enough quality, but which might turn into something else at some point. I re-visit this folder occasionally.

I have a third folder for songs with musical ideas, or which are in the process of being recorded.

Then I have a full set of alphabetical folders so I can keep them saved in manageable groups, so all the songs beginning with "A", "B", etc.

Some songs I write are almost fully formed within minutes, and I go straight to music, editing the text as I go.

I have found Songstuff to be a very useful resource and the community has made me, apart from other things, much more critical of my own work.

I highly recommend https://www.youtube.com/@Unfinishedsongs as they have over 60+ unwritten songs that you can create lyrics with!

You can join his channel for private unwritten songs that's he's creating now.  I've collaborated with several of his instrumentals.

If you do Collab, he'll have you share dividends via Distrokid kid if that's the reason for your music, otherwise if you post it on YouTube music video without monetization and post a back link to the video that you used in the comments section of that video you used, it's free to do that way.

I rarely like what I’ve written afterwards.  The only time I like it is when I’m working on something.  I think I enjoy the process more than the results if it’s all my work.

collaborations are different tho.  I really like those results.  I truly enjoy the new melody as opposed to the melody the lyric was written with.

It’s funny. I don’t really get the like/dislike reaction to my own material. I feel it is either right or not, and I may feel pride or not. Songs from my more distant past I may have a variety of reactions too from thinking how naïve I was or insightful and as well as pride or being pleased I might feel something closer to shame or embarrassment, but rarely. Mostly I think we are on our own personal journey as writers and part of that is making mistakes and learning.. so even when I do have feelings of embarrassment, my feelings are pretty muted.

I think the songs are too personal for strong reactions to the song itself. My songs almost always relate to something that means something to me. If the song works, it evokes that emotional reaction to the subject… so like/dislike rarely comes into it.

I might realise a song in a style I am not a fan of, but that is just “a song in a context”, so I don’t get wound up by it. Often such renderings of a song offer an opportunity to learn. A version of a song is just a temporary thing, so no sense in feeling bad about it. :)

I have a bad feeling the original poster isn't coming back... Last Visited September 23

The process of letting out an emotion or turning a thought into music is pretty amazing thing. Must have 5-6 books of one line to full lyrics and worse I have the same song a few dozen times .... it's a release it's something drugs relationships etc can't provide cause it's part of you. Good bad or down right ugly it comes from within ..... priceless.

Sharing this with others can be intimidating even awkward but that process makes you a better writer musician.... figured I'd chime in .... been in a huge F'ing rut but starting to write....well I wrote two lines lol it's a start 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomcollins said:

The process of letting out an emotion or turning a thought into music is pretty amazing thing. Must have 5-6 books of one line to full lyrics and worse I have the same song a few dozen times .... it's a release it's something drugs relationships etc can't provide cause it's part of you. Good bad or down right ugly it comes from within ..... priceless.

Sharing this with others can be intimidating even awkward but that process makes you a better writer musician.... figured I'd chime in .... been in a huge F'ing rut but starting to write....well I wrote two lines lol it's a start 

Hey, Sorry that you’ve been in a rut! You should try some of our challenges. They might help you. :)