Your Ad Could Be Here

Have Artists/Songwriters/Producers/Musicians Lost Their Passion?

Have Artists/Songwriters/Producers/Musicians Lost Interest In…  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Have artists/songwriters/producers lost interest in doing something with their music?

• Yes
    • To a degree
    • No
    • Not sure
  2. 2. Are experienced artists/songwriters/producers/musicians less interested in helping those less experienced?

• Yes
    • To a degree
    • No
    • Not sure
  3. 3. Have artists/songwriters/producers/musicians lost their passion?

• Yes
    • To a degree
    • No
    • Not sure

IMG_7139.webp

Hey gang

I wanted to ask a few related quick questions. They are NOT Songstuff specific. They’re about artists/songwriters/Producers/Musicians in general, across multiple platforms.

This comes from a general impression of attitudes, interest areas, active numbers and expressed ambition/aspiration. There’s a lot more negative views being expressed by musicians online, almost to “What’s the point?” Levels. They largely still make the music but it’s almost treated as a “Meh”. I have seen this across the various features and various platforms.

I’ve also noticed, less experienced artists/songwriters/producers/musicians seem willing to get involved. Like burn out, been there done that sort of attitude. So much so that younger musicians beginning to come back to music activity have much fewer experienced heads chipping in help. I see that even on platforms with an older audience, like Facebook.

Importantly, have they lost their passion?

If you have insight or opinions on these questions, please comment below!

Cheers

John

I voted. I had to vote "to a degree" for numbers one and two. I don't think they've lost their passion as much as they have been "re-directed" due to the internet and smartphones. One, it's a distraction and takes attention and focus away from what they want to do (same goes for people in general.) While technology has advanced so much everyone and anyone can actually write music, which is a good thing, I can't say it's all 100% positive. Used to be, you had to have the passion to get a song made. You almost felt "special" because you were doing something not everyone can do. Now, anyone can do it so it's kind of lost it's luster. "Eh', anyone can do that now" type of attitude.

The other thing, while great as they are, the multitude of plug-ins and other things you can search for and use leads people to look for a better sound, more efficient work process, etc... and spend time on finding that stuff, more-so than just focusing on the one, most single important thing ... the song itself.

Just my 2-cents.

• Like 1

Questions 1 and 3 are the same questions rewritten to look different!

I create a new song at least once a month, as I strive to create a new one, once a week.

I do it for fun, no profit, as I don't have a great fan base yet.  I'm trying to work on that.  "El Diablo" isn't a popular name, so that's also against me .. LoL!

My songs are considered "unconventional" and are inventive.  I strive to do new things to music that nobody has yet to do, sometimes.

So I don't have to create the "full background music" I use Unfinished Songs YouTube channel for his tracks to help me create new songs.  It speeds up my ability to focus on new lyrics.  I also sometimes add my own instruments to those songs if I feel a need to.  I'm also a paying member of that channel.

2 hours ago, El Diablo Songwriter said:

Questions 1 and 3 are the same questions rewritten to look different!

I would argue (1)doing something with your music and (2)having passion for your music, are different things.

Number 1 is about purpose, an endpoint.

Number 2 is about feelings and motivation.

• 3 weeks later...

Have artists/songwriters/producers lost interest in doing something with their music?

As a whole? No I don't think so. There are many people that want to succeed. Though I do think is that there are a lot of musicians which are greatly off put by the platforms we have nowadays. Let alone, the concept of having to market themselves and manage themselves. There is also the matter of having to produce content on a basis and learning new skills set. Which mind you can be be fun if approached with the right mindset, but it can also be rather daunting and unappealing. Especially if you're the type that only wants to make the music, and nothing else.

Are experienced artists/songwriters/producers/musicians less interested in helping those less experienced?

That's a very good question though I don't think it has one definitive answer. For one, you'd first have to define what sort of help exactly, with what, and to what extent. Those elements alone could change any answer drastically.

That's not to say that there aren't many artists out there who are indeed self absorbed, precious little narcissists, that only care about themselves. They do exist and they are plenty.

However, there are also many well intended and experienced producers out there that do want to help. However, its important to keep in mind that an experienced producer is also likely to be very busy. Which means that even if they want to help they may not be able too due to their responsibilities.

Have artists/songwriters/producers/musicians lost their passion?

Some have, for sure. Though I think that @Just1L made a very interesting point about how making music used to feel back in the day. I try not to look at things though nostalgic goggles, but I do think nowadays young artists get into music with a mindset that's a lot more 'practical' then it was before.

Edited by VoiceEx

22 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Have artists/songwriters/producers lost interest in doing something with their music?

As a whole? No I don't think so. There are many people that want to succeed. Though I do think is that there are a lot of musicians which are greatly off put by the platforms we have nowadays. Let alone, the concept of having to market themselves and manage themselves. There is also the matter of having to produce content on a basis and learning new skills set. Which mind you can be be fun if approached with the right mindset, but it can also be rather daunting and unappealing. Especially if you're the type that only wants to make the music, and nothing else.

Are experienced artists/songwriters/producers/musicians less interested in helping those less experienced?

That's a very good question though I don't think it has one definitive answer. For one, you'd first have to define what sort of help exactly, with what, and to what extent. Those elements alone could change any answer drastically.

That's not to say that there aren't many artists out there who are indeed self absorbed, precious little narcissists, that only care about themselves. They do exist and they are plenty.

However, there are also many well intended and experienced producers out there that do want to help. However, its important to keep in mind that an experienced producer is also likely to be very busy. Which means that even if they want to help they may not be able too due to their responsibilities.

Have artists/songwriters/producers/musicians lost their passion?

Some have, for sure. Though I think that @Just1L made a very interesting point about how making music used to feel back in the day. I try not to look at things though nostalgic goggles, but I do think nowadays young artists get into music with a mindset that's a lot more 'practical' then it was before.

Practical is an interesting word choice. There's certainly a more pragmatic edge to it.  There's a desire for the outcome, but a lack of work within many. Youth has hope, and the huge benefit from the knowledge the internet can bring them... unfortunately they don't always have the necessary work ethic and the world is SO full of distractions. Even the internet is so full of distractions.

Older generations I find have a different pragmatic edge, in that they relegate a lot of music aspirations from foreground to background tasks under the guise of "realism". They tend to lack knowledge and the fuel and energy needed to get that knowledge. The internet was less of a resource when they were younger. They don't realize really what the wired world can give them. They also haven't adjusted their musical goals so much as they have effectively removed them.

Those in the middle are a confused mix of the two above. All 3 struggle to know where exactly to spend their time for the best progress towards their vague goals. The middle epitomizes this. So much so that they can stop progress, rabbits in headlights, making little or no progress at all.

The above, I know, are broad generalizations. They cover a lot of ground.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, john said:

Practical is an interesting word choice. There's certainly a more pragmatic edge to it.  There's a desire for the outcome, but a lack of work within many. Youth has hope, and the huge benefit from the knowledge the internet can bring them... unfortunately they don't always have the necessary work ethic and the world is SO full of distractions. Even the internet is so full of distractions.

Just1L talked about how making music made him feel. So it got me thinking about what it would have been like if I was a kid nowadays. For one, I started getting into art and songwriting before the internet was a 'thing'. So if I would factor in even that one single element as a starting point, the technology and abundance of options we have nowadays would have probably had a profound impact on how I would approach making music.

In fact, its likely that even the music I would make would have probably been different. Hell. I'd probably become a different person altogether. Practically unrecognizable. Would I have even been interested in making music? Who knows.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, john said:

Those in the middle are a confused mix of the two above. All 3 struggle to know where exactly to spend their time for the best progress towards their vague goals. The middle epitomizes this. So much so that they can stop progress, rabbits in headlights, making little or no progress at all.

When it comes to older generations and those who are struck in between, I'm not the 'type' to say that I think everyone is going to have a happy ending. I think that 7/10 times if a person in those categories hasn't already reached a certain point in their musical journey, then its likely that they will stay where there are, or, in some cases, give up entirely.

• Editors

The internet age definitely has significant influence and impact on the drive and morale of a musician - whether a beginner who has just discovered their passion or a musician who has already been doing it for a while.

I feel it also misleads the impressionable musician, whether old or new, about what success is defined as, how to get there and most importantly.. WHY. There is also the matter of rigidity among most of us with how things were in order to ever allow that to meaningfully change and adapt. Post pandemic times have also been so significant in creating mental and psychological barriers. 

• Like 1