Your Ad Could Be Here

Poll: Do You Make Videos For Your Music?

Making Videos For Your Music  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Make Videos For Your Music?

• Yes (Always)
    • Yes(Sometimes)
    • Yes(Rarely)
    • No
  2. 2. What Kind Of Videos Do You Make?

• Plain Stills
    • Lyric
    • Animation
    • Too Camera Performance
    • Production Music Video
    • N/A
  3. 3. When/If You Don’t Make Videos, Why Not?

• Lack Of Money
    • Lack Of Interest
    • Lack Of Skills
    • Lack Of People
    • Lack Of Ideas
    • Lack Of Time
    • Something Else
    • N/A
  4. 4. How Important Do You Think It Is For Current Artists To Make Videos For Their Songs?

• 0 (Not Important)
    • 10 (Critical)

IMG_7145.webp

Hi

Thought I’d touch base and find out the attitude to making videos amongst members.

Please vote!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do You Make Videos For Your Music?

Absolutely 👍

What Kind Of Videos Do You Make?

A good portion of my work is variety content so its not always related to music. So when it comes to working on videos and releasing them, it all depends on the objective.

Though since we are talking about music videos specifically (including: promos, teasers, visualizers etc), I typically go for a tactical mix between different types of animation. Whichever works best for the video and drives the narrative home. I would also like to mention, while I am not a fan of lyric videos, I prefer Kinetic typography ("moving text") over traditional subtitles. Yes its more work, but I think its also more fun to engage with.

When/If You Don’t Make Videos, Why Not?

Typically I try to make a video for practically anything I think would make for a good video. It can be anything from doing something simple like sharing Stream highlights, reaction content, educational content, commentary, humor, gear-talk, reviews, channel collabs, promoting fellow artists, and pretty much anything and everything that's fun for me to do. I've made it very clear since day one that I intend to make content that's enjoyably for me, which aligns with my morals and timetable. I think its better doing things this way, less you find yourself getting sucked into a spiral of pandering and compromising over the quality of you're content.

However, there are times where I find myself being too busy to make a proper video, while in other times I may need to dedicate time and resources into something else. So in case you're wondering, yes, I do inform both my audience and the people I work with about what's going on. I'm not THAT irresponsible 😅🤙

In addition, I'm not sure if this counts, but some of my content is not Advertiser-Friendly (limited or no ads) and some of my videos are also age restricted. I'm fine with it though I do miss old Youtube.

How Important Do You Think It Is For Current Artists To Make Videos For Their Songs?

I don't think its a "must". You can get by without making music videos and you can also get by without ever showing your face. However, in my personal opinion, I do think that good music videos can enhance the experience for the audience and it can also provide you with better reach. Overall the benefits outweigh the negatives by a landslide.

That being said, never forget that musicians are ultimately entertainers. And when it comes to entertainment, if your looking for unconditional love, then your better off getting a dog. If you don't put any effort into your content it will show, and the audience will respond accordingly. Just something to keep in mind.

To put that in perspective:

Do you know what really sucks? Listening to a good song while watching a bad music video. However, do you know what sucks even more? Listening to a bad song while watching a bad music video. But do you know what's even more confusing?! Listening to bad song while watching a great music video.

Conclusion:

Don't make bad music videos 😅

Edited by VoiceEx
  • Like 1

YouTube, being a video based place kinda wants a video instead of just music... So, I use Vizzy.io most of the time.  I've tried A.I., but that's really expensive and very time consuming!

I thought about using Cartoon Animator 5 I bought last year to make my next one, but I'll probably just end up using Vizzy.io instead, because it's quick and easy to use.

• Like 1

• Editors

I do believe making music videos is necessary within the context of a release campaign with singles in mind. The videos I have worked on for the music I've made before has most certainly helped in drawing more listeners to check out the other music I may have on the music services. For starters, it's the visual element that offers more retention especially in these days of distractions and short form viral media. But it also gives a sense of the artist persona - their vibe, their influences and a larger context of what their music could be or where it could go.

But man, is it expensive if you are looking to shoot and produce a music video from scratch! That's what's held me back. Sure there are other routes - stock footage, lyrical videos etc. And they are something I'm planning to explore further this time around while figuring the release schedule and campaign for the next EP. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd do videos if it didn't take so long. That said, as a one man operation, doing this purely for the enjoyment I get from doing it, its really not relevant to me.

For those wanting to make fame and fortune, video is essential in some form or another - could be live concert video, or promotional video, but video something, yes definitely.