Your Ad Could Be Here

Current Audio Interface

Hi

What is (are) your current audio interface(s)? What do you think of it? Are you satisfied with it? Are there limitations that you really struggle with?

I’ll post up mine a little later

Cheers

John

3 hours ago, VSThost said:

Behringer UMC. It is a solid and inexpensive interface.

Obviously it can vary depending on the way you record (real instruments, live tracking, in-the-box etc), what are the limitations you come up against for your recording process (if any)?

12 hours ago, john said:

What is (are) your current audio interface(s)? What do you think of it? Are you satisfied with it? Are there limitations that you really struggle with?

I use the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and have no complaints.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peggy said:

I use the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and have no complaints.

Do you mainly lay down single tracks in a multitrack recording, or work more in the box? Or do you take advantage of multiple inputs for live recordings? Or do you just have a few pieces of outboard gear?

Steinberg UR22 MKII

Audio quality is fine, headphone amp is a bit weak. The software looks dated but is functionally not bad. I have trouble getting latency down to where I'd be okay with it.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 10:52 AM, john said:

Do you mainly lay down single tracks in a multi-track recording, or work more in the box? Or do you take advantage of multiple inputs for live recordings? Or do you just have a few pieces of outboard gear?

Mostly laying down single tracks in a mutitrack recoding except for live recordings.  That would be input for vocals, 2 guitars or guitar and bass.

On 6/9/2024 at 3:28 PM, Peggy said:

Mostly laying down single tracks in a mutitrack recoding except for live recordings.  That would be input for vocals, 2 guitars or guitar and bass.

No drums live then? Do you use any percussion?

On 6/9/2024 at 12:27 AM, MisterB said:

Steinberg UR22 MKII

Audio quality is fine, headphone amp is a bit weak. The software looks dated but is functionally not bad. I have trouble getting latency down to where I'd be okay with it.

Any plans for an upgrade or does it do what you need?

What about your puter? I only mean as regards latency.

18 minutes ago, john said:

No drums live then? Do you use any percussion?

re:  "Mostly laying down single tracks in a multi-track recoding except for live recordings.  That would be input for vocals, 2 guitars or guitar and bass."

Sorry, that's a confusing response I've given above.   I'm talking about in my studio and the inputs/outputs.   The number of tracks I record at a time varies.  Sometimes one track at a time, 1 guitar, 1 vocal etc.   Sometimes I record multi-tracks at a time (I called that live)  .. example: Vocal and guitar, 2 guitars, guitar and bass, 2 vocals, etc.  

Yes, there's drums and percussion on my songs.. but mostly those tracks are Midi generated, sampled, etc. 

1 hour ago, john said:

Any plans for an upgrade or does it do what you need?

What about your puter? I only mean as regards latency.

Well actually, now that I think about it, it's more likely caused by the plugins (virtual instruments and effects) than the interface. It's not the computer, which doesn't even break a sweat. I know some plugins add a large amount of latency (I'm looking at you Ozone!), and I do disable them on the rare occasion I need to do some actual performance stuff but I guess that some of the VI's could also be adding some themselves. Not what I want to hear, but it is the most likely scenario.  For the headphone amp, and actually for the mic preamp too, I would like to upgrade, but I need MIDI I/O and I don't need more than 2 audio ins and outs, so that limits the field somewhat. I'm also not prepared to pay RME prices. 

• 4 weeks later...

Used to be the Mbox 2 (2 inpus + MIDI) until ProlTools dropped support without warning.

Replaced in 2018 with Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2 inpus + MIDI) which has worked well.

The only time I use both inputs is when recording my 12-string ... I use condenser mic + DI to create two separate by sync'd tracks that can be EQ'd, Compressed and Panned differently.  

Inputs are only for voice and guitar, input separately. Everything else is MIDI input from a 67-note keyboard.