Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar Heroes

Hey

Who was your main guitar hero when you first began to play?

I guess I had several, Dave Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Paul Kossoff, Richie Blackmore were all influences, but i'd have to say that Jimmy Page was the main guitarist. I spent hours learning his guitar lines.

Funny how I have kept those early influences with me and how much they still resonate in my music.

Cheers

John

I'm not sure I had any 'Heroes'. I used to listen to all of the above mentioned guitarists, and I loved them all! But I never imagined I could ever play like any of them. Being a bit of a loner, and having to more or less teach myself, I had enough difficulty just learning to play a few chords! I did however have Piano heroes. Oscar Petersen, George Shearing, Tom Lehrer, Dudley More! I would have given up the guitar for a piano and some lessons from these guys! :)

My father. I don't even really like him but when I was a little girl and didn't know any better he was my hero. I would sit and listen and watch him play for hours. even when I grew older and didn't really like my father I still couldn't help but love his playing. Granted hes not all that great by any means. but hes not terrible either. I always thought it was nice seeing him mess up and go back and try to figure it out, which eventually and usually not after too long, he did. (he never took lessons and did not read music all was done by ear). He is the reason why I picked up guitar myself. If I can become even as good as he was I will have accomplished my goal.

Like Steve, not hero’s as such, but I listened to quite a few. King Crimson & Pink Floyd were my favourite bands then, so Bob Fripp & Dave Gilmore were icons certainly. I preferred Gilmore’s bottle necked atonal noises to his ‘proper’ playing. I loved Fripp’s jazz informed playing.

Electric: Mick Abrahams (Blodwyn Pig) & Rory Gallagher (Taste).

Acoustic: Bert Jansch & Michael Chapman (I learned almost everything off ‘Fully Qualified Survivor’ & ‘Rainmaker’,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was mis-educated as a youngster, and so none of the usual suspects will be appearing below!

When I started playing I wanted to be like Mark and Simon of The Levellers in all honesty... And I've half way achieved that... Then I got an electric and Noodles was the height of my aim...

However as far as heroes as people I looked (and still look!) up to and in some way influence me, but I don't aspire to be go, top of that list is Tom Morello (of Audioslave/Rage Against the Machine)... Who else has come up with a guitar solo using the cable jack as a pick?!? (If someone else has, please tell me! :) ). Then maybe Kenwyn House from Reef, his grooves just rock out! Oh and I think for a final guitarist to make it three 'heroes' I'll go for Steve Craddock of Ocean Colour Scene... Do I need to say anything more than Riverboat Song?! :)

Dammit! I wanna put on a 'best of' playlist of those guitarists now.. I was planning o ngoing to bed soon! Lol...

Rohan