Your Ad Could Be Here

What do those producer use?

Remember the Cher song with the effect on her voice in "Do you believe in life after love?" I hear a lot of new songs with this effect now... but it's a lot more subtle. Enables inexperienced singers to sing on pitch and on key. They also use a lot of this effect in shows to avoid embarrassing false notes. I hear Britney Spears uses it a lot. Anyway, do you know what is the gear used to do that? I could use it. Is there a VST version? I would surely buy the thing. I would appreciate info on this.

Thanks very much!

I downloaded at lunch time, and I couldn't wait to get back from work to try it out. It's indeed a great tool! Many options. I think I'll buy the soft version and keep the money to upgrade my computer. More memory is the pressing point; I use big samples, 512MB doesn't seem to be enough! Then I'll get a new processor. Suggestions?

I suggest you send all your money to me, and I'll spend it and tell you how I get on...  ::)

I'm not sure, but I think that this might not be something profitable for me... hmm... I hate taking decisions! What should I do?  ;D

So now your shopping list is:

Antares Auto Tune

More Ram

New Cpu

and the expected additions are

new motherboard

new case and fan

new sound card (to take the load off your PC)

OS upgrade (XP pro etc...)

New software to run on XP pro

and finally...

new credit card, as the old one will be maxed out! ;D

of course then you find out Antares doesn't run on XP...

Ah technology. Don't you love it?

I'd like a replicator or even better, a holodeck: imagine having photonic musicians at your disposal!

But realisticaly, I'd like free-energy, and that those people behind the governement officials stop withholding that technology. And 4-hour work days. No copyright but the right to copy. Fame and fortune based on respect and gratitude instead of marketing and money...

But for now, I'll also might buy a new motherboard for that new processor. I just got my tax return and I want to buy some goodies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

All the pros use autotune of some sort. The good thing with it, is that you can concentrate on feeling and rythm and not ditch otherwise great takes only because it's a little out of tune.

But as all tools, it's overused; specially for the "Live after love" song, I thought it was totally unneccesary. Cher has a too good voice to be produced to death like that. On the other hand, the record sold millions, so who am I to criticise.

All the pros use autotune of some sort. The good thing with it, is that you can concentrate on feeling and rythm and not ditch otherwise great takes only because it's a little out of tune.

But as all tools, it's overused; specially for the "Live after love" song, I thought it was totally unneccesary. Cher has a too good voice to be produced to death like that. On the other hand, the record sold millions, so who am I to criticise.

It's a good point! I think it could be very useful as a tool for composers who find it difficult to sing in tune (Like me!) But I think it's a total disgrace for so called proffesional artists to use it when they are playing live! If they can't sing, they shouldn't be there in the first place!

If they can't sing, they shouldn't be there in the first place!

I don't know if I agree - I think you should use whatever makes you sound better. If it is to rehearse 4 times a week you do that, if auto tuning makes you sound better do that. It's results that count, after all.

Auto tuning is really only like frets on a guitar - a development in the technology of music. In 20 years nobody's gonna think two times about it.