Your Ad Could Be Here

Hola

msmd

hello everyone, I'm 21 years old and I am a student. I'm kind of a music nerd, so i figured this is the place for me. I don't really play any type of music (i have a pretty eclectic taste), i'm just kind of an experimenter. I bought an 8-track about 5 years ago and have been tinkering with little projects ever since. glad to find a board for musicians.

hi msmd

Welcome to Songstuff!

What sort of experiments do you do? Can you describe any you have done?

Cheers

John

I was really into the early home-made recordings of John Frusciante (i.e. Niandra LaDes, Smile From the Streets, To Record Only Water) when I started recording. I wanted to kind of emulate what he did, obviously I'm no where near as talented as he is. Those albums are kind of difficult to listen to, so I'm sure some of the music I made at first (and still do make) was(is) pretty absurd.

I'm a fairly proficient bass player, with good rhythm, so it was beneficial for me to listen to those albums. The songs are basically free-form, and the chord progressions basically go wherever he wants them to, the songs are very non-linear. Really, I was just trying to combine what I was good at, rythmic bass lines, with what I was not good at, song writing and chord progressions-- Drum machine in the background, and whatever I could scrap together for vocals (I've tried to work on my singing voice, it's just really not that great). Listening to John Frusciante's albums was when I became a musician. Before that I was just a bass player.

I just kind of do that stuff for fun. I enjoy playing with other people a lot more than I do making stuff by myself. [smiley=rockin.gif]

• 3 weeks later...