Your Ad Could Be Here

What Inspired You To Write Songs Or Poems?

Well, I've always enjoyed writing, and ever since I got more into playing guitar, and listening to stuff by John Mayer, I wanted to try it out and see what I got. So, I guess my inspiration for writing was just my drive to try something new. And even if my career path may not be in music for me in the future, doing this keeps me happy and ignites my creative mind.

• Like 1

Nothing really inspired me as far as I can recall. As a young boy, I would walk around making up songs, singing, trying to think of lines. I didn't start writing them down until I was 25 or so. There still isn't much inspiration, it does come, but I can never tell when it will happen, and it's rarely a major event. I like little things that aren't supposed to get noticed. There's more to it for me than inspiration.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was always very creative and was always making up stuff. As I kid I wrote novels inspired by movies I saw or the R.L.Stine books :D I started writing songs with 11. My inspiration were pop stars at that time. I was imagining I was a big pop star like Britney Spears or something and then I started to write songs for myself. :D It all started as a game. I evan had a notebook where I was writing my "tour dates" LOL. Then I noticed I was good at it and continued to write. In high school I started also writing poems which were more intimate then the songs.

Edited by LilOrange
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I'm quite new here and quite new to lyrics writing.

I always enjoyed writing as a child, I would write stories and even short books with individual chapters. As an adult, I more or less gave up any kind of creative writing and the only 'writing' I did was for college and university essays etc. which were all factual and required very little imagination!

I started writing again only recently and quite by accident. I offered to help a musician friend, whose first language is not English, with his lyrics. The rest is history (a short history!) and I now write his lyrics for him :)

My only regret now is that I did not start writing earlier, but better late than never I suppose :)

• Like 1

My reply is similar to a lot of people here...started when I was a little kid making up little tunes and singing them. I don't recall ever making the decision to start. It's just been something I've carried with me throughout life. Around maybe 11 or 12 years old, I started thinking of it more as "writing songs" (though it probably goes without saying that the songs I was coming up with around that time weren't very good). I think what really solidified it for me was the liner notes to my Billy Joel albums: "All songs written by...". It was around then that I started thinking I wanted to do that myself. I'd always looked up more to songwriters who wrote everything themselves, rather than work with co-writers. (I used to view co-writing as cheating, but I've since relaxed my viewpoint on that.) I have tried co-writing with others a couple of times, but it never really amounted to anything.

Right now, what really inspires me about songwriting is the idea that I can create something than can go on to exist on its own and affect other people in such an immediate way. When a song is good, it tends to get stuck in people's heads, and it's gratifying to hear someone tell you they like a song of yours, or even better, hear them singing it back to you.

Edited by gradual
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if it hadn't been for some of my heartbroken affairs, none of my songs would been written. So to all the girls - thank you :D

that be, both lyrics-wise and riff-wise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i started writing when i was about fourteen at first just to put my thoughts to paper. i found that i really enjoyed it and that it helped me understand things better.so i started writing songs about everything. then i thought how good it would feel to sing them out loud. i have been writing and singing ever since.

• 1 month later...

I started writing at a very early age by what i saw happening around me love, hate, crying, laughter, poverty, judgement, death, marriage, fighting etc... and never really wrote how i felt but how i believed what the others were thinking and i guess thats why i write the way i write today. I wanna step out of the box and try a different approach and open my mind to new possibilities to maybe improve ky writing also

• 3 weeks later...

Girls.

I started playing guitar so I could meet girls and it worked kinda.

I was a good rhythm guitar player without a band back in high school. One day I was talking to this girl about her interests and she was really into poetry. I jokingly said to her this could be a song and started singing it and playing it. She really liked it and she really had a boyfriend that she wasn't going to leave. It was an open campus back in the 70's so I'd be playing my guitar to anyone who would listen on the lawn. Others really liked it too. Soon I was in demand for putting words to music. There was no shortage of lyricists or musicians but few could put something together like I did. Shortly after I was in a band that was playing both covers and originals. We got a lot of gigs and the town newspaper would do features on us.

• 1 month later...