Your Ad Could Be Here

Name your favorite song and include a link if possible.

Mine would be I Can See For Miles by The Who.  It embodies everything I love about Rock.  It has raw guitar, pounding drums, and a great vocal combined with a superb performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BBQMjbX3c

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

Name your favorite song and include a link if possible.

Mine would be I Can See For Miles by The Who.  It embodies everything I love about Rock.  It has raw guitar, pounding drums, and a great vocal combined with a superb performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BBQMjbX3c

Great song.

I may well be back and forth posting, or almost posting! I have a broad taste in music and think it near impossible to reduce all that wonderful music down to just one song. I will have a think.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say The Whos 'Quadrophenia' is a masterpiece. Definitely my favorite album.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim622 said:

The Whos 'Quadrophenia' is a masterpiece

Definitely. In my own Top 10 for sure (and far more cohesive, story-driven, musical and inventive than 'Tommy').

I still feel wild and angry when I listen to it ... ridiculous at my age, but that's the power of the music and the memories.

I remember buying and playing it on release.  It had a special place for me as several mates and me were all scooter riders in London in the late 1960's, a time when there was far less traffic on the roads.  That London-Brighton run at weekends in large scooter convoys was fabulous ("riding up in front of a 100 faces")!!
And no, I didn't get into fights with the bikers/greasers/Rockers :) 

• Like 1

Impossible for me to name just ONE song, or even ONE album.

Greg

3 hours ago, GregB said:

I didn't get into fights with the bikers/greasers/Rockers

It's funny you mention this as The Who started out as Mods then morphed into Rockers after the release of Tommy.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson

1 hour ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

The Who started out as Mods then morphed into Rockers after the release of Tommy

Hi Clay

I was getting my head around your statement when I realised my memories were arse-around. I did ride scooters in the late 60s but left England for Australia in 1970 within two months of finishing school. I returned to the UK in 1973, by which time the whole mods/rockers thing was over, and Quadrophenia was released that year ... and it must have been then that I remember the album being played on high rotation by all my old scooter friends. 

I don't remember The Who ever being decked out as rockers as they were products of the Art School movement, and so very much into 'fashion'.   Here's a pic of them two years later in 1975 ... 

image.png.8109eac42b96b4c73ed3d6e0d414f2f9.png

True, they COULD be rockers, but I think they'd get piled on by any self-respecting bikie!   They instead went the way of most ex-Mods - dressing ludicrously :) 

Greg

9 minutes ago, GregB said:

dressing ludicrously

I met John Entwistle one night at the bar at the Rainbow on Sunset Blvd in 1990.  He was very charming and friendly dressed like any suburban dad in dress casual attire.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson
  • Like 1

for me born early 50's when the kinks came around thought they were and still are amazing , saw the who in about 65/66 at a small venue in Aberdeen . back in those days no barriers you could touch Roger Daltrey . then 1972/73 heard W.O.L.D by Harry Chapin loved the song and from there bought  all the albums . a great story teller but like most of them except Dylan , hardly even know today , favourite song ? to many but really like Taxi then sequel years apart but the same story beginning to end cant link it /

john

2 minutes ago, scotsman89 said:

the kinks

I love The Kinks.  They were always one of my favorite bands.  I still occasionally play All Day All Of The Night when I pick up a Bass Guitar.

I don't know if there is any truth to the story but one of my friends claims to have been with Ray Davies the night he wrote Lola.

when the Kinks were banned from America Ray came into his own as a storyteller . Beatles three minute pop kinks story songs , know she's leaving home a story song but from a few years after the kinks started doing them

bought ( don't have any music or stream media )  Dave Davies live at the Bottom Line . great album . personal opinion

• Like 1

I could pick many of their songs, and although there are several groups with songs In contention, Pink Floyd are definitely close to if not the top for me. There or there-abouts.

I chose Echoes, from the movie Live At Pompeii, because it reminds me of my youth so much. The Glasgow Apollo was where I went to see many bands live, but they also screened movies in the afternoon sometimes. It’s where I first saw so many music related movies, from Woodstock or Monterey Pop festival movies, to Yellow Submarine, Led Zeppelin the Song Remains The Same, The Who Quadrophenia, or Tommy, and a load of others, including, of course, Live At Pompeii.

To give you a laugh this is how I looked at 20, though I had looked much the same from 15-16 minus the beard!:

F1E01187-9B86-43D5-8AF6-4C0371EF30DC.jpeg

1 hour ago, john said:

To give you a laugh this is how I looked at 20, though I had looked much the same from 15-16 minus the beard!:

This similar to how I looked until well into my 40s although heavier.  Due to my lack of foresight in not digitizing everything I lost all photos and recordings up to 2007 when we moved from LA to DC.  

I believe we simply threw them away because of the massive house cleaning where we were paying people to cart things off because of the volume.  We had so much "junk" that our dining room was filled with office boxes and the back veranda was wrapped in polyurethane to protect the boxes there since there was no more room in the garage.

Pack Rats 'R' Us...

• 4 weeks later...

Top threes, fives or whatever usually seem to cause choice issues on forums but if I was tied down and waterboarded for one and only one, then I'd probably scream quite quickly:

We Belong Together by Ricki Lee Jones. Sentimental reasons. I remember where I was when I first listened to it: sitting on the runway at Glasgow airport going to visit a GF in Ireland. I'd bought it on cassette in the airport for my Walkman. As we went down the runway the drums kicked in at 2:30 and as we soared up, angelic harmonies took me to heaven.

If there's a better line than, "The only angel who sees us now watches through each other's eyes" I've yet to hear it.