Your Ad Could Be Here

Who Would You Say Are The Top 5 Greatest Lyric Writers?

It is nice to hear from you all, BOB DYLAN IS SIMPLY THE BEST. Rank NO 1 of all time. As for Lennon and MCcartney simple every day lyrics but, great melodies. WHERE are the SPRINGSTEEN fans? I know there are many out there!

KEEP IT COMING!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Mika

Long time no see. Been writing much?

Yes actually I have three new posts up do me a favor and check em out?(:

Seirra Kusterback and Blake Harnage are quite good with imegery words and making the song have a feeling and tone by comparing normal human feelings to nature and space it's quite fun

David Bowie,Morrisey,David Sylvian,Neil Young,Lenord Cohen....these guys shouldn`be overlooked. .

My favorite writers would have to be Jeff Lynne, Paul Davis, Bono, James Taylor, Bernie Taupin, Paul and John, Robert Smith and the list goes on and on from there. My favorite latest writers would have to be Ben Gibbard, Todd Ashburn, Brett Beavers, Ed Sheeran, Sandy Vee, Brandon Fraley, and I guess this list could go on also. My two cents

And - as well as the Greats already mentioned - let's not forget Canada's own Leonard Cohen. :)

Donna

This might be a strange one to throw in but i think billie joe armstrong in green day is a very talented writer, all their songs tell a sort of study and they have been producing music for many the years, especially considering now many bands do not have a songwriter playing in the band

Thank you all for taking part of posting your favorite lyric writers; We do have a large number of great lyric writers. Now days the quality of good lyrics has almost vanished. Yes, to Morrisey, Bono, who are still around today. Bowie did write some great lyrics, as he aged he seem to have lost his creative talent. As for Lenonard Cohen, yes he should be included.

It's strange that some writers lose their talent as their age, others gain more.

THE MUSIC INDUSTRY NEEDS A RIVIVAL; WHO'S GOING TO GIVE IT A START???

Thank you all for taking part of posting your favorite lyric writers; We do have a large number of great lyric writers. Now days the quality of good lyrics has almost vanished. Yes, to Morrisey, Bono, who are still around today. Bowie did write some great lyrics, as he aged he seem to have lost his creative talent. As for Lenonard Cohen, yes he should be included.

It's strange that some writers lose their talent as their age, others gain more.

THE MUSIC INDUSTRY NEEDS A RIVIVAL; WHO'S GOING TO GIVE IT A START???

I`m trying!...i think we write or best stuff in a certain era , peculiar to ourselves...Bowie had his, and now he`s a shadow of himself..Morrisey just seems to rehash his previous style of wit and observation....

• 2 weeks later...

Diane Warren

Joni Mitchell

Harry Chapin

Jimmy Webb

Skip Ewing

... don't know these guys? Check them out...

I don't really like to be nostalgic. Bob Dylan and etc are waaay before my time. I understand why some people regard them the best, but not really my cup of tea.

My list at the moment (2010-2013) would go something like:

- Ed Sheeran

- Emeli Sandé

- Skylar Grey

- The Smeezingtons (team of Bruno Mars)

- Ryan Tedder

From the oldtimers, I'd probably say:

-Lennon / McCartney

- David Bowie

- David Foster (for some reason people always forget to mention him)

- and yeah Bob Dylan too, I guess

• 1 year later...

Lyricism wise...in no order. Gonna throw a few more in here (not who I think are the GREATEST either..just who I enjoy the most)

David Gilmour (I would say Rodger, and I do love him, he's just too in your face. I prefer Gilmours subtlety)

Maynard James Keenan 

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Marley

Thomas Haake (not what many here would expect, but i had to throw him in. Genius!)

I&Ideal 

Anthony Kiedis

Nas

Edit: Can't believe people are saying Ed Sheeran. I mean, just my opinion and all..just can't believe it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe a bit late in joining this, but can't help notice that my personal favourite has yet to make an appearance on any lists.

The late great Stuart Adamson of Big Country. Not just an amazing lyricist, but an awesome guitarist as well.  Very much under-rated outside Scotland & the UK. Steeltown, Flame of the West, Just a Shadow, Not Waving But Drowning, to name just a few..................

He sits and says he’s sick and tired of the argument
He’s heard them all and it makes no change when the money’s spent
And all his life he’s had to watch the way he’s went
No less in need no less deceived by the violence

For everyone whose life is run by their daily bread

Another one holds a loaded gun at someone’s head
And we stuck fast and our petty fears are already dead
While division rules and tradition’s roles
We are all mislead

excerpts taken from Not Waving But Drowning, the title was from a Stevie Smith poem. Not a hit song by any means, but the lyrics are typical of Adamson. 

I was asking the same question of myself and thinking.... Awwww no one mentioned me lmao

• 2 weeks later...

I had trouble thinking of lyricists purely as lyricists. My list also includes songwriters that would be unrepresented normally when we think of greats.

Pete Townshend - For inventive power pop and defining the Rock Opera

Ian Curtis - Introspective, genius, and restrained. His words are tension and struggle yet so beautifully made

Mark Burgess - Once glibly admitted in concert to being full of BS but it becomes clear he knows things most men dare not know

Roger Waters - His words can read like a science fiction on prophetic themes

Garce - I'm guessing no one here has heard of him but if you listen to the band he leads (Sad Lovers and Giants) you'll know his words are expert poetry, and the craft of defining the soft confusion strewn throughout the world

Archived