Your Ad Could Be Here

17 hours ago, tunesmithth said:

Don't feel bad about getting a late start. ;)

Yeah, I was a drummer/singer professionally back in the day, but that's as far as it went. By age 23 I had stopped playing altogether..

Guitar, bass, keyboards, theory, home-recording, writing, arranging & production were all things I took up after the age of "40".:001_rolleyes:

Before beginning, I decided what my end game was, stopped at the local music store, bought an acoustic guitar & signed up for lessons.

The rest as they say, is history.

Don't kid yourself...not everyone begins as a child.

Tom

Love this, Tom!  I really appreciate the encouragement.

4 hours ago, Ray888 said:

Loads of experiences in there for you to draw on for writing songs Mike. Sometimes even bad experiences are a Godsend for songwriters.

There was a guy named Boxcar Willy who wrote a hit song (King of the road) that went something like this....

Trailers for sale or rent

Rooms to let 50 cents

No phone no pool no pets

Ain't got no cigarettes

Ah but two hours of pushin broom

buys an 8 X 12 four bit room

I'm a man of means by no means

King of the road.

It was written by Roger Miller.

Roger also recorded it originally.

My cat  (who ran away) was named Boxcar Willie. As I found him by the railroad tracks behind my place of work.

7 hours ago, Rudi said:

It was written by Roger Miller.

Roger also recorded it originally.

Thanks for the info, I had assumed wrongly that Willy had written the song. It seemed more appropriate that a guy with a name like Box car Willie would be the author. Roger Miller just sounds wrong although credit due where it is due. My original point was that experiences either good or bad are the tree's that bear the fruit.

I want another pet but with cats you have to get a couple to entertain themselves when your away.  Not big on dogs.  Can't imagine having one stay at home alone all day while I'm at work and then having no where to go.

5 hours ago, TapperMike said:

I want another pet but with cats you have to get a couple to entertain themselves when your away.  Not big on dogs.  Can't imagine having one stay at home alone all day while I'm at work and then having no where to go.

Yeah, I have a Bengal and he needs constant attention. I have to leave my studio door open so that he can go in and out as he pleases. Bengals are more like dogs than cats but have a lot of character. He thinks he is my wifes baby.

9 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I found my dog on my porch at 3 a.m. one morning.  He had broken away from his chain somewhere and the piece of chain still connected to his collar got wrapped up in the railing of my porch.  No one claimed him, so I kept him, and I still have him.  I named him Django, because he only came into my life after becoming Unchained.

Wonderful story and an even greater ending. Sounds like he found you and not the other way round lol. Destiny is an unfathomable thing but you and he were meant to be.

11 hours ago, Ray888 said:

Thanks for the info, I had assumed wrongly that Willy had written the song. It seemed more appropriate that a guy with a name like Box car Willie would be the author. Roger Miller just sounds wrong although credit due where it is due. My original point was that experiences either good or bad are the tree's that bear the fruit.

This song, this version, holds early memories for me.  I still remember most of the lyrics by heart.  My dad and I used to sing this song most Sundays as we drove to church.  We sang others too, but this is the one I remember because I liked it.   I was pretty little.  Probably in grammar school.  

51 minutes ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

This song, this version, holds early memories for me.  I still remember most of the lyrics by heart.  My dad and I used to sing this song most Sundays as we drove to church.  We sang others too, but this is the one I remember because I liked it.   I was pretty little.  Probably in grammar school.  

Yes it holds memories for me too. It's a well crafted lyric that says a lot with few words. I love the Boxcar Willy version. I posted the first half of the lyric from memory so i'm not sure if I got it exactly right. I'm having some memory problems in my old age lol.

2 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

For those of you who have been doing this for years, what would be a good beginner-level DAW from your experience?

Check this out, Sumi: https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-daw-software/

If you do choose to go with GarageBand or Logic Pro X(which I am using), you can ask for my help any time(plus, there are hundreds of free tutorials on youtube as well). ✌️🤓

Are you on a mac or pc? If mac I would recommend Garageband for these reasons. Very inexpensive. Very easy to use. More than enough tools to get you up and running. There are many, many better DAWS without a doubt, but for just getting started it's hard to beat the price. And the ease of use will allow you to concentrate more on the song itself. Eventually you will probably want to upgrade, although I said that myself and still haven't. Any questions about it feel free to post here and I'll try to help.

Sorry, I just read back through all the posts and see you're not on a Mac. 

Archived