Your Ad Could Be Here

Anyone Good At Tabbing Music ?

It's not too difficult to get started if you go about it the right way and know or learn how to listen. I play the bottom E string and try and follow the bass to start of with (making sure my bottom E is in tune with the song itself) - I stick a capo on if I have to. All my guitars are tuned down a semi-tone - it's surprising just how many songs are recorded that way - if you find yourself putting the capo high up the neck it might be that it's played on guitars tuned down a semi-tone - anyway I think you need a capo on 1 for this and the basic chords, from the couple of listens I was allowed by last.fm before it stopped me playing it any more, are Dm F G Bb C (not in that particular order - they are chords you can use to play the song)- if I'd have had the chance I would then have started listening for the hammer on's/off's - they give you a clue - Dm (top E) and a couple of strings in the C are chords where the hammer on's might take place. I always work along the lines that guitarists are basically lazy (= smart) and if what you're tabbing out seems too difficult then there is probably a simpler way - maybe the capo is in the wrong place or the chord voicings/shapes are different. I'd get the basic chords down and then start tabbing it out knowing that the notes (in general except the blues notes/accidentals) that are picked (riffs, etc) will be from the chord in play at any given moment. That's a starting point. There are free tools such as "guitar and drum trainer" that allow you to slow the speed down without changing the pitch and to loop on small sections - that helps.

The more you do the easier it gets.

HTH.

Persevere with it.

It gets easier each time.

I find it very difficult to tab songs - unless it's a band that is known for using lots of power chords, when it can be very easy, but otherwise it's incredibly difficult. I don't know how people can pick out just the bass notes with the guitar and drums and vocals over the top of it.

I usually struggle too, in fact there is only one band that I can persistently tab, and they often aren't that easy songs to play or work out, the chords just jump out at me a lot! (The band is Terrorvision, I would link to the powertab archive with all my tabs on, but it got shut down recently, in effect 'by' the DCMA...).

I generally find that playing with the equaliser in your chosen media player can do wonders to help different parts stand out (especially for figuring out bass lines), so try having a fiddle with that if you're struggling with riffs.

It's in Eb so I guess they detune half a tone cos it's what bands like that do

It becomes obvious then that you play E shapes etc and chords like 076780 and stuff like 00777x and x07600

lets pretend that we have detuned our guitar then we have themes like B B B A G E (that goes same same same dwon a bit down a bit up to the E)

The soloing is all pentatonic stuff over very few chords

Good fun but Lazz s right use your ears

Edited by Nick