Your Ad Could Be Here

Gonna Buy First Guitar Ever....

hello folks,

i am gonna buy a new guitar so what i should keep in mind....

so far it is my first so should i go for acoustic first and then later when i am experienced i should buy an electric......

and what other things should i keep in mind....

thnx

...PRAYAG...

hello folks,

i am gonna buy a new guitar so what i should keep in mind....

so far it is my first so should i go for acoustic first and then later when i am experienced i should buy an electric......

and what other things should i keep in mind....

thnx

...PRAYAG...

My opinion (this is my first opinion posted here) is that the acoustic guitar teaches far more than how to play the guitar. It is about appreciation. The amount of pain and work involved will instill a level of pride in the fortitude that it takes. But then...I am an acoustic man. In the end...what kind of music do you listen to? Do you listen to acoustic guitar music? If not, you probably won't enjoy it. You have to enjoy what you are doing to be succesful at it.

well i am upto Rock.....as far as learning is concerned what should i prefer....??

i mean does it really make any difference....buying an acoustic or an electric...huh.gif?

I learned on an electric and bought an acoustic later.

I've been told the main reasoning behind learning on acoustic first is that it builds up your fingers, because the strings are slightly thicker.

I think it's just prefrence. I wanted to play loud music straight-away, so I learned on an electric.

The chords are the same, everything's the same, so I would just choose based on prefrence.

thnx jules.....

but what i should keep in mind while buying....i mean bridge gap and hill and all those stuff....well i donno much about guitar so far....

If you want to play Rock, I'd advise buying a guitar to suit! i.e. An electric with a suitable Amp. If you are new to the guitar, I would seriously think about an accoustic guitar. An Accoustic is always readily available. You can pick it up and play it instantly! You can take it anywhere without worrying about plugging it in when you get there!. And they have a lovely tone and a personal appeal.When you go to buy it, (whatever you decide on) there are a few things to look out for. The first thing to look for is playability! If you can't play it comfortably, you'll never be happy with it! If you are not a competent player, try to take somebody who is, with you! Have a look along the neck. Stand the guitar at your feet and look down the neck from the headstock to the bridge.

post-84-1211308051_thumb.jpg

Then turn it over so the headstock is on the floor and look down the neck.

post-84-1211308000_thumb.jpg

The neck should have no serious kinks or twists. If it does, forget it! Next, look at the string height. If the strings are too high off the fretboard, then it will be difficult to play!

Then play it and listen to the sound! (Accoustic) If it sounds good with no obvious defects, and you are happy and comfortable with it! Buy it! And then post a picture of it here. :) Good luck.

I would agree with going acoustic to start with, although you may want to go loud and distorted from the start, I find the distortion just hides my screw ups, and playing acoustic forces you to get better quicker...

The vast majority of rock songs can be played acoustically and still sound cool, if not better sometimes... That's why I love seeing/hearing bands unplugged, cause they can give their stuff a completely different feel to normal... :)

I think you should go to a store, or even several, and take a friend with you that knows guitars on a technical level, and then try *all* the models within your price range - and walk away with the one that felt the best to play. You should 'fall in love' with it, up to a point. Never buy one if you don't get that buzz. Just find more shops, in that case. Also do try different guitars of same make and model, there can be *big* difference in 'identical' guitars as to how they play and feel. The more choice, the better.

I will second the 'fall in love with it' sentiment... that's what I did with the only guitar I went shopping for properly! I had a really fun day with a (more skilled and knowledgeable) guitarist friend going around all the guitar shops we could find in Poole/Bourenmouth. In the end I went for the first guitar I tried - but it was worth trying all the other guitars and shops so that I was sure, and just because trying guitars is fun!!

Falling in love with a guitar is something that happens when you love guitar. Does this feeling happen to you? Do you love the feeling in your hands even if they don't know what to do with it? Don't feel bad if you don't. It will come. My father played the guitar when I was growing up so when I got my first guitar at seven I was in love with it. When I bought my first real guitar at around 12 I was hooked. So was the thief that broke into our houes but....oh well.

As far as the question between acoustic and electric and whether or not it makes a difference, my experience leads me to believe that the more you enjoy playing with it, the better your chances of learning to play it. You'll have to like it before you can love it. This is a very hard instrument to learn. You'll need to remind yourself of that from time to time.

Falling in love with a guitar is something that happens when you love guitar. Does this feeling happen to you? Do you love the feeling in your hands even if they don't know what to do with it? Don't feel bad if you don't. It will come. My father played the guitar when I was growing up so when I got my first guitar at seven I was in love with it. When I bought my first real guitar at around 12 I was hooked. So was the thief that broke into our houes but....oh well.

the day before yesterday i played without knowing for one and half hour.....i just feel like heaven when i hold it....

thnx for the advise....

...PRAYAG...

Exciting times [smiley=acoustic.gif]

Getting a new axe always thrills me, but the first, Gods to go there again [smiley=acoustic.gif]:wub:

Steve made good points about the straightness of the neck and the string height, although more distance from the frets is harder to play I find they sound better when you are starting out.

I learned on a 12 string acoustic and when I picked up an electric I was like yingwee momstien LOOK OUT!!

Only if you think you can be enthused by the sound of an acoustic should you start there, it was mentioned, this is no easy task and staying excited about it even after your fingers hurt is the hardest part to get over, and make no mistake IT HURTS. Also keep in mind that the sounds you hear from players and the sounds you make in the beginning will be very different and often frustrating and disappointing. These things are what scare away the weekend warriors and leave the true playing to those who "endeavor to persevere"

ROCK ON [smiley=acoustic.gif]

Wow, I almost wish I'd learned on a 12-string... My fingers aren't very strong at the moment, so my 12-string isn't getting as much play time as it should... :(

:backtotopic:

Lol, there's always one... I will just say that to begin with I did play a majority of Offspring songs, so it does mostly depend on what you want out of it (as usual, it all comes down to personal preference in the end!!)

Realistically, which ever one you I'd stake money that you'll be back here in 6 months or a year (depending on when finances allow!) wanting the one you didn't get... Cause I love both types, and generally have 'acoustic moments' and 'electric moments' where I concentrate on one or the other, meaning that when I return to the neglected discipline I find it loads more fun again, and really different... :)

My first guitar was a Squier Showmaster electric guitar :)

I think if you want to learn more chords and scales then accoustic but if you just want to go straight for power chords and solos then i would go for the electric :P

I only just bought my first accoustic, a Cort guitar it is really nice :)

But yeah what steve said look down the guitar to see if its straight, then look for obvious signs like any serious rust or scratches.

First song I learnt on guitar was Nirvana's Come As You Are and Smells Like Teen Spirit just for the fact of making a huge noise :D

Hope this helps

Regards,

Chris

thnk you folks.....

thank you, thank you very much.....

regards, prayag

• 2 weeks later...

yeah.....finally deal has done....

and as you suggested i have bought an acoustic one......

take a look at this....

post-2057-1212329458_thumb.jpg

post-2057-1212329610_thumb.jpg

post-2057-1212329696_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me, in better nick than my nylon string guitar... Lol, but than mine does have patches on it... :S

You enjoying it?

yeah....

thanx....