Your Ad Could Be Here

Have You Named Your Guitar?

Hey

I just wondered if any of you guys had named your guitar(s)?

I have a few guitars but only got around to naming my first electric guitar - Hamlet. Because Happiness is a guitar called Hamlet (corrupted from an old advert!)

So... come on, spill the beans....

What is/are your guitar(s) called? :D

Cheers

John

Er...no! If it would come running when I called it's name, I might. But things could get complicated. It would probably bring me the drummer's drumsticks to throw for it. And expect to be taken for walks. And fart.

So I don't think on balance it is a very good idea.

I have the following:

MANDY (the mandolin)

BASIL (the bass - not because it's faulty)

OTIS (the Spanish guitar - after Otis Spann)

BERNARD (the old acoustic because it's a Levin)

PHIL TAYLOR (the Yamaha FG180 - "oneundredneighty")

LYNNE (main acoustic because it sings beautifully, has great curves and a lovely bottom end)

No of course I don't have names for them.

BB King called all his guitars Lucille which is even more stupid...

Rev Gary Davis called his Gibson accoustic 'Miss Gibson'.

I have no names for mine, but just to prove Im not the MG I seem, I will name them now.

Fylde Acoustic: The Widow

Camps Spanish Acoustic: The Bitch

Jackson Soloist: Saucy Sally

Washburn electric: Nursey

Yamaha Acoustic: Hieronymus of Mimms

Yamaha Silent: Plunder Plums

Violin: Vile Lynn

My thirty five year old Hohner Precision copy bass - Agatha.

In a streak of characteristic modesty, this name is because I've come to regard my knowledge and sense of timing to be like Agatha's, the precog from "Minority Report" perfect to the millisecond.

Actually, no. That's not to say one shouldn't name their guitar, and a lot of people do. I guess some things just need to be named, and others don't. My guitar has been part of me for 35 years now, and I guess I haven't felt the need to name it any more than I've felt the need to name my legs.

(Yes, I remember the famous exchange from "Mary Poppins." I'll bring it up before someone else does:

"I knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith."

"And what was the name of the other leg?")

Joe

I have a cheap Chinese strat knock-off I named "Firewood". The rest are just "classical", "electric", and so on.

My thirty five year old Hohner Precision copy bass - Agatha.

In a streak of characteristic modesty, this name is because I've come to regard my knowledge and sense of timing to be like Agatha's, the precog from "Minority Report" perfect to the millisecond.

So wait, does that mean you always play ahead of the beat? :P

• 2 weeks later...

My first leccy is imaginatively named 'blazer' (its an original (not re-issue) Ibanez Blazer...) And the other leccy is called either 'Joe' or 'satch' as it's a JS100, or Joe Satriani signature model (although the cheap one, as I am, well, cheap! :P)

My bass is called Wesly, again, it's got it printed on the headstock!

I'm toying with the idea of calling the 12-string 'Ash', but I'm not convinced... Sadly, my old nylon acoustic would suit having a name, but I've had it too long to add one in retrospect now... And it might take offense if I try!

Ah, now computers are different. Mine was named "Alice" by the guy who built her for me (Windows 98 insisted on a name if your computer was going to be on a network, and "Alice" was built with a network card); he was trying to give me the best graphics capability he could, and the most graphics-heavy software he could find to test the computer on was American-McGhee's Alice-in-Wonderland game. So "Alice" it was--and is.

Alice's predecessor--which I still have--is "Wilma," a 1991-vintage 486 running (now) Windows 95 who's been upgraded more times than I can count; she also was built for me. Wilma replaced "Fred," a prehistoric computer we had running the front desk in the City of Vale (Oregon)--Wilma was slimmer, and had more brains, so it was an obvious choice. When we eventually put together a computer network in City Hall, all the 'puters ended up with Flintstones names; Betty, Barney, Pebbles, Bamm-Bamm, and Dino. I bought Wilma from the City when I left.

Wilma still runs--she's built like a tank--but she can't run a USB digital camera or a rewritable CD drive, because those things weren't even dreamed of 17 years ago. So I had Alice built for me.

Some things need names, and some things don't.

Joe

• Like 1

• 4 years later...