Your Ad Could Be Here

First Post/please Listen To My Recordings!

rich

• Noob

Hello! My name is Rich, I've been an amateur musician for 10ish years now. I'm no expert at anything in particular, but I can play guitar, bass guitar, a little drums, and I'm pretty good with software (I'm a computer engineering professional, amateur musician). I was in a band back in high school, we did original material in the style of 80's metal. Lately I have been into a lot of post rock stuff (Godspeed you Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, etc.).

My equipment consists of: my MacBook, a couple bass guitars, an acoustic and an electric guitar, a old drum kit, a Zoom H2 "hand recorder" mic. I've spent the last few months making recordings of just instrumental stuff that is mostly original. I would love some feedback on it, please download and listen to my mp3's!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/rpodraza/index.html

If you can only listen to one or two, try Forgiveness or The Plans Fell Through Blues, those are my favorites.

I would love feedback, and also maybe some ideas for expanding this into a more complete project, as these are sorta just demos. I would love to hear what other people's experiences have been with working with other artists over the internet, that is something I could see myself doing.

Thanks!

Rich

Hi Rich

Welcome to Songstuff! :)

We have review boards for feedback (lyrics or songs), one song per topic (makes it easier). If it's a song remember to post up the lyrics, they make a handy reference and are usually part of the review. Just look under the "Creativity" tab at the top of the board listings :)

Good to have you aboard!

Cheers

John

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Rich,

I listened to Forgiveness. I'd have to say that my first impression is that the song is pleasant. You have a pretty good understanding of the recording process and the instruments don't fight much with each other.

The mix is a little "boxy." Too many low-mid frequencies in the bass guitar are a culprit. You might want to scoop some 250 to 400 Hz out of the bass and then boost your kick drum a bit.

In general, I'd lose the brass and play that part with a guitar or synth. It sticks out to me - I liked it at first but it needs more musicianship. The long legato notes don't have much flavor.

I'd say that since you have a really good idea of the recording process, you might want to focus on going for a more unique sound. Just a suggestion... maybe reverse a part, add some fills, special effects, guitar solos, vocal samples, loops, ect.

Just a little more sizzle. Other than that, good stuff!

Anyway, what kind of monitor speakers/headphones do you use? Are you mixing in a square or rectangular room with parallel walls?

Thanks - Rob

Hey Rich,

Welcome to Songstuff!

I checked out Forgiveness and The Plans Fell Through The Blues. You got some great songs going on there.

The first one had a good riff, and I actually loved the bass. Usually I don't care for the bass cause it doesn't really stand out, it usually just blends in with all the other music. But I thought the bass was good in this song. If I were to make a suggestion I would either add some singing and lyrics to this, or make it shorter. Cause it was a little bit repetitive. But if you had a singer I think it would be alot better ;)

The 2nd one... I loved the drum/bongo beat, and the riffs reminded me of grey daze. Which is one of my favorite bands! Once again I think if you added some singing it would put everything together :)

You got talent! stick with it!!

You'll get more reviews if you post each individual song in the Creativity/Instrumental section!

~TIMOTHY~