Your Ad Could Be Here

Seeking Opinions On Technique

Not sure if this is the correct thread as these are covers

Would like honest feedback on technique , timing and overall feel of what he is playing from experienced folks with good eyes and ears. This is my son and I have always impressed upon him to practice standing (tough transition for some) and stay relaxed. I am not an expert nor an experienced musician . bit of classical guitar myself years ago ,but I am trying to help him. He has outgrown and is having trouble with committment from his current band. I suggested to seek out new opportunities. but he is very intimidated about stepping out among other musicians. He can pretty much learn to play anything but I think he is worried about the level that he would fit in at. . I think he just needs to get out there and play with guys better than him but he responds by saying "why would a band want someone who could slow them down."

He is just starting to learn some theory but he has already written about 10 songs since he was 13 and they are pretty good.

I want to be able to assure him that he is ready but maybe I am biased since he is my kid.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

It's hard to critique covers of songs I have never heard of. But I can tell you it was awesome! I have to be honest with you though... I did not finish the 8:46 long song, i'm sorry if I seem impatient but that is a really long song!! Most songs I listen to are rarely even 4 mins long let alone 8. Lol... But it looks like I am not the only one, all the youtuber comments loved it :D

Well i'm afraid I don't know quite what you mean by technique, i've never played guitar or any instrument close to guitar. So far the only things I know how to play is my keyboard, piano and this little flute like instrument called an ocarina, lol. My favorite out of the songs was the rush cover, it felt really carefree and uplifting. Like not angry/frustrated rock... but just a nice mellow tune.

Your son shouldn't waste his talent! I really hope he doesn't tired/bored of guitar or music!!

But again as a suggestion, people would be more out to listen, read and critique your son's work if you post one link at a time... to avoid confusion ^_^

~TIMOTHY~

I'll ask my son to have a listen as he is probably better equipped than I am to comment.

I would guess that the best person to comment on technique is his teacher as that is the function of a teacher - if his teacher can't advise on that I think I'd question whether he is the right teacher! I think I put someweher else on here that my son has gone through various teachers over the last few years - his first private teacher we parted company with mutually as it seemed to be just him coming round and playing a few 12 bars which I think I could have done myself! The next was a good, performing rock guitarist who was useful up until the part when my son wanted some qualifications (to let him get into college in the future) and he now has a more technique based teacher who has very much concetrated on technique which has improved his playing a lot.

I rarely comment too much on technical bits apart from I sometimes comment that his bends are not as good as some other parts of his technique and tend to comment positively on things that he plays that work for me and mention it if some things don't work. Having said that it's better to try out things even if they don't work so I rarely am too critical on that. I tend to leave most of the technical stuff to his teacher.

There is more to playing than experience, technique, and speed. This is a response to the question: "why would a band want someone who could slow them down."... there is imagination, enthusiasm, commitment... these are the things I look for in a band member, not whether or not they will slow me down, but whether or not they will LET me down. I'm not great, but I am not afraid to play with people more experienced or learned than myself, nor am I unwilling to play with people "behind" me, if I see the things I mentioned above. From what I have seen thus far from Christian (I believe that is his name eh?), I would consider him quite an asset to a band, I'm sure folks worth playing with will see that as well.

I know the Rush song he played well, he did great. It is hard to play to a record with feeling, he should try to find players that can play that and play it live, you wanna talk about a thrill [smiley=vuur1.gif]

There is more to playing than experience, technique, and speed. This is a response to the question: "why would a band want someone who could slow them down."... there is imagination, enthusiasm, commitment... these are the things I look for in a band member, not whether or not they will slow me down, but whether or not they will LET me down. I'm not great, but I am not afraid to play with people more experienced or learned than myself, nor am I unwilling to play with people "behind" me, if I see the things I mentioned above. From what I have seen thus far from Christian (I believe that is his name eh?), I would consider him quite an asset to a band, I'm sure folks worth playing with will see that as well.

I know the Rush song he played well, he did great. It is hard to play to a record with feeling, he should try to find players that can play that and play it live, you wanna talk about a thrill [smiley=vuur1.gif]

You said that very well. Thanks

I am hoping to get Christian participating in this Forum. This group has more maturity than any I have come across. I think he will benefit for sure

As a parent I am still quite protective even though he is 16.

thanks

You said that very well. Thanks

I am hoping to get Christian participating in this Forum. This group has more maturity than any I have come across. I think he will benefit for sure

As a parent I am still quite protective even though he is 16.

thanks

Well, thank you. I look forward to making his aquaintance. As a Mod here I am proud to say that you have nada to worry about, this is the BEST forum around.

:wacko::yahoo:he thinks we is mature hehee :wacko::yahoo:

Here's Granny w/ her cane saying young man, I been playing 145 years and my first pro band

when I was 17, knew what they were about getting me who was 10 and up to 20 years younger

than various band members. I was fresh outta high school.

Their very mild manner of encouragment took me from drummer to lead singing drummer. That's quite a step,

and I mention it to illustrate how a fertile musical enviornment can make a young musician to soar!

There's just no way to get experience but by getting it. You'll be OK - unless maybe you remain not playing w/ others. That'd

be a world of regret, over time. And not necessary at all!

PS: the 1st band I was in, at 13 or 14 as an adjunct drummer/b/u singer, played the 2112 album in toto. I still very much like Yes,

ELP, all of that.

PPS: let us know how it goes when you begin jamming w/ others.

Edited by Donna

Here's Granny w/ her cane saying young man, I been playing 145 years and my first pro band

when I was 17, knew what they were about getting me who was 10 and up to 20 years younger

than various band members. I was fresh outta high school.

Their very mild manner of encouragment took me from drummer to lead singing drummer. That's quite a step,

and I mention it to illustrate how a fertile musical enviornment can make a young musician to soar!

There's just no way to get experience but by getting it. You'll be OK - unless maybe you remain not playing w/ others. That'd

be a world of regret, over time. And not necessary at all!

PS: the 1st band I was in, at 13 or 14 as an adjunct drummer/b/u singer, played the 2112 album in toto. I still very much like Yes,

ELP, all of that.

PPS: let us know how it goes when you begin jamming w/ others.

your right

I took my son and his bass player to a blues bar this afternoon.They have an open stage every saturday. Today was primarily guys jamming mainly Rhythm and blues and some great soloing. Some weeks there are a few kids get up but not this week.

Christian was intimidated needless to say. Bar was full and all the jamming was seasoned musicians.

Well, the guitars stayed in the trunk of the car as i suspected they would ,but after leaving , they both agreed it was something they wanted to do.

So next weekend or maybe the wekend after we will go again. I told Christian he could play a Nirvana cover or something like that and if his bass player comes they can play a couple of their originals. I assured him that the host drummer will do just fine even with their originals.

We will see what happens :-/

Listen to Finn!

Colbat, once your boy gets on the stage you'll have a hard time getting him off.

Yep. You are so right .they have played to 200+ crowd and he was pumped.

He would play every weekend if he could. Needs to decide whether to get another drummer as they havent rehearsed in 2 months due to level of committment. I might fill in :) been 20 yrs but with a little practice who knows. Thats another story though and posted in another topic.

• 2 years later...

Cobe, I am myself no great shakes on the guitar (mostly tone-deaf), and can't sing either. What I've done is found groups of musicians who are better than I am (not bands or open mikes--just impromptu jam sessions, one of which I helped organize) and hung out with them. They have mostly tolerated me because I write interesting stuff they want to play. In the process, I have picked up a lot of technique from them. (I can even play lead guitar occasionally.) I even ended up with a band (a very good band, too). But I still play with those groups of musicians every chance I get, because I'm still learning a lot.

Joe