Your Ad Could Be Here

Song Writing Challenge/competition #2 Updated

Hey all,

With the Olympics coming up in the UK next year I thought it would be a good challenge to get us writing an Olympic themed song.

So, I challenge you to get inspired and write a song geared for the olympics.

This exercise is for learning and having fun.

This is the challenge:

Write an Olympic themed song that is motivational, uplifting and inspirational. A song that when you listen to it and/or hear it's words it makes you smile.

Play: LET IT GO

My Co writer and I wrote Let It Go a year ago. It goes some way to achieving this but not an olympic theme. Have a listen. Get a vibe for how uptempo it could be for inspiration.

I'm going to set an initial date for your rough ideas to be ready by the end of May 2011.

For those who write lyrics only please feel free to post lyric ideas and provide feedback for others who do the same.

We as a group can then decide who's lyrics fit the bill best and then as a group of writers we can then work on a melody and music if we don't already have one.

Points to consider:

If you were listening to the song on the radio would the lyrics keep you interested?

The verses should develop the story and provide new information for the listener.

The chorus often includes the title of the song.

Consider use of repetition, rhymes, assonance and alliteration.

I will also participate in this. I look forward to seeing your work.

Enjoy

JD

Edited by JamTimeMusic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Let It Go" is another pop-hit for me.

Great stuff.

Good luck with this new contest.

I'll give it a go! :)

Bippity-boppity-bump

Ok, here's my first attempt at writing an Olympic song.

Aiming for motivational and uplifting. I've a melody in my mind for the chorus but would love to hear any other's take on it :)

I Will Make it Happen © Denielle West. March 2011

(V1)

All that Ive been working for

Is almost here

All that I have dreamt and more

Has never been so near

Ive cried, Ive cursed, I have bled

To reach this day

I can see my final goal ahead

Wont let my focus stray

(Rise)

Ive got to believe

That Ill achieve

(Chorus)

See my colours

Rise higher than others

I will make it happen

Hear my song

Knowing I belong

I will make it happen

V2

I know what is expected

That treasured prize

Can see all my hopes reflected

In other peoples eyes

To race amongst the very best

Has been my aim

Prepared to take the toughest test

And be the winner of this game

(Rise)

This moments mine

My chance to shine

(chorus)

Edited by Dee

That's great Dee. I really like your first attempt. It has a good feel to the story and appears to flow well. I'm not in a position to go over the lyric line by line at the moment but I and hopefully others will do so.

Interesting that you use the phrase " I will make it happen". What inspired me to start this topic was because my co writer and I wrote a song called "Make it Happen" for this years UK song writing contest. They have an Olympic theme this year. Closing entry by June so if a good song develops out of this topic it should be considered to enter.

Speak soon

JD

Boingo-boingo-boink!!!

p.s.

I hate the ferkin Owe-lympics.

Lot of disruption and deeper in debt.

But boosterism to beat the band.

Really nice work Dee.

I really like the Olympics, love the medal cerimony, national anthem, flag raising, the whole bit. Really think you caught the moment well.

Yes, I'm very excited that the Olympics are being held in England. We're hoping to see an event, don't know which one yet but can't miss out on the experience!

As I only participate in sport on a part time basis, I can only imagine the dedication and discipline athletes go through to make it to the top sporting events. Knowing that the flag is being raised and the anthem being played because of you must be so rewarding.

Cheers!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

http://soundcloud.com/user7019906/make-it-happen-chorus-rough

Er... I've erm, "recorded" a melody for the chorus Make it Happen.

Believe me, it's like nothing you've ever heard before. I apologise.

It's probably the following:

out of tune

out of time

I'm probably:

out of my mind posting it.

It's just the tune I had in my head at time of writing. Maybe if you use a bit of imagination you'll see what I'm trying to achieve - that is, of course, after you've picked yourself off of the floor from laughing too much!

I play the piano like some people type - with one finger. You have my permission to cringe. I do!

:-[

Hey Dee.

Hard to say if that works but maybe it does. I'm not sure how the phrasing fits in with it. Seems a couple too many notes in both middle lines but hard for me to say with just a piano to follow.

When I get some time I will have a fiddle with it. I don't think anyone has posted any more lyrics because perhaps they feel your lyrics are very strong which they are. So unless anyone else posts lyrics we might as well move on to the melody and music soon.

I think I know what you're referring to.

I've stretched the word "colours" out over three notes and the word "song" over two.

Now, with me not being at all musical, perhaps you could answer a question for me. It's about syllables. For instance take the word colours - it has 2 syllables but I've tried to stretch it out over three notes. Have I done this wrong? Is there a rule that says one syllable, one note? The same with "song". One syallable but I've done it over two notes.

This is part of the reason I keep my melodies to myself - I'm never sure if I'm doing it right or not!

Is there a rule that says one syllable, one note?

There is in my book.

Doesn't seem to worry a lot of others though.

Generally, in terms of stylistic interpretation, singers (and instrumentalists) are allowed to bugger about with ornamentations and melismatics and so on in interpretive performance, and that'a all pretty cool and accepted - but, when it comes to a song being written out in basic musical formats, the one-note to one-syllable convention is usually quite strictly adhered to by us fussy little buggers and deviations are somewhat frowned upon - otherwise work tends to be regarded as amateurish by those composers we might wish to be impressing with our lyrical skills - so it's well worth striving for, I think, and not so hard to achieve.

Jam's opinion and expectations could quite easily be widely different, however. We'll have to see and find out. Certainly, as I said, there are a lot of people who don't recognise the convention as having much importance.

The melody is fine to my ears - except that it lacks a resolution.

After 'I will make it happen', the notes are hanging there begging for something else to make it complete.

Scansion needs a bit of looking at in your verses.

Good going.

Keep at it.

Hello Lazz

Thanks for your comments and I'm grateful that you've taken time to have a read and listen. Did you really have to mention the "S" word though? I did have a look at the Pat Pattison videos you directed me to and I thought I understood what he was saying. Obviously not. I really believe someone needs to just bash me over the head with it. I'm going back for another viewing. Maybe I should have a mantra to repeat to myself about it before I start writing.

As for the melody - thanks for the encouraging comments. It's just me have a tinkle. Maybe someone can come up with something better :)

Cheers

I've been re-thinking.... I do "get it" as such - stressed and unstressed syllables.

I think my problem is that when I say it out loud to myself, I could choose one or two that okay. i'll highlight the ones I think should be stressed whether I'm correct or not is another matter!

(V1)

All that I’ve been work ing for

Is al most here

Has never been so near

I’ve cried, I’ve cursed, I have bled

To reach this day

I can see my fi nal goal ahead

Won’t let my fo cus stray

Actually I thought that might help me but it hasn't. What am I trying to say? If anybody has the answer let me know.

What I'm trying to say is I do "get it" but then I don't. Which is nonsense I know!

I'm sorry. It sounds like i've been drinking but honestly I haven't!

Edited by Dee

(V1)

All that I’ve been work ing for

Is al most here

Has never been so near

I’ve cried, I’ve cursed, I have bled

To reach this day

I can see my fi nal goal ahead

Won’t let my fo cus stray

I do "get it" but then I don't.

"just like the jitterbug - so simple, it evaded me" Lord Buckley

I think you get it, Dee - it ain't too hard - and it is perfectly natural in the melody of our speech - so I know you've got it - it's sometimes just a mysterious word which shakes our confidence in being sure.

The important thing however, is that the same pattern of stresses and syllabic length must be repeated in each of your verses.

That's the bit I stumbled over.

You can fix it.

I dare you.

As I only participate in sport on a part time basis, I can only imagine the dedication and discipline athletes go through to make it to the top sporting events.

Cheers!

A little bit like great musicians and songwriters...? :)

The important thing however, is that the same pattern of stresses and syllabic length must be repeated in each of your verses.

That's the bit I stumbled over.

You can fix it.

I dare you.

Oh I see - consistancy! Well, why didn't you say that then? I've been going round all day talking like a lunatic. Stress-ing and stretch ing out syllables. People kept giving me fun-nee looooks.

Ok I shall take another look and try my best at being consistant. :-/

A little bit like great musicians and songwriters...?

Absolutely!

Even small things are rewarding like discovering how to use that quotey thingy. And putting in a linky thing to Soundcloud. I'm so chuffed with myself!

Now on to being a super duper consistancy person with that scansion thing. I will achieve!

Er... just give me a day or two. ;)