Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar

Hey people,

I have been thinking for a while about whether or not it is better to play with a pick or to just use my hands? and also whether or not it makes a difference in what kind of strings i use for playing if i use a pick or not?

Hi Iain... I think this would go better in the guitar board rather than the introduce yourself board... I'll move it just now :)

Welcome, Iain. Actually, I have in the later years transited to fingers/nails only since I get a more delicate attack then - however, sometimes I revert to pick as needed. No need to be fanatical about it :) ...

• Editors

I agree with Steve. You cant pick one over the other for now. You have more freedom when you are using your fingers to pick the strings(for popular examples,Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven and Metallica's intro for Nothing Else Matters and so.)than using a pick. But at the same time,for strumming,you'd prefer the more richer sound of the plastic hitting against the strings while using the pick compared to the relatively muddy sound cos of your softer fingers.

So dont prefer one. :)

• 4 months later...

You have to use both to a certain extent to really be versitale,example: