Your Ad Could Be Here

Testimonials

As a singer/songwriter and producer, Songstuff has been the #1 online resource that I have found. Each member of the Songstuff community has their own skills and expertise, and they are always willing to share help others along the way. Doesn't matter if you're a brand new songwriter, or a seasoned veteran; the Songstuff Community has something helpful for you. 

Since joining the Songstuff community in early 2013, I have not only improved my songwriting and production skills; but I have made connections that will last a lifetime.

-Michael Stovall

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been meaning to write a testimonial for a while now but I've been too busy WRITING SONGS! Since I joined I have written more songs in months than I have in years. My confidence in my ability and my drive to go further is through the roof. Bring it! There is something to be said about being able to talk to people who share the same passion as you. When you are blocked, they are there. When you are frustrated they are there. When you want to share your successes, they are here. Even when you are fortunate enough to have wonderful family and friends (like I do) talking to another songwriter about writing a song is a comforting, inspirational feeling. I've met really interesting people from all over the world and have been introduced to music genres and styles I would have never heard before. My whole world has grown in just a few months.

When I first joined I was so concerned about what SONGSTUFF could do for my music, and after spending time here, I realized it is all about what songstuff can help ME do for my music! What can I do to help someone else with theirs?

You get honest feedback, answers to questions, encouragement and support. It really is a community like the button up top says. They have definitely welcomed me here. There are some new exciting things coming for the future and I'm so happy to be along for the ride and helping to make sure other people find their way here. Whether folks join as a hobby or for professional aspirations, I'm proud to be part of something that can help other songwriters on their journey.

Thank you John! You really do rock!!!

I came into the forum with a lot of apprehension, having had no experience with forums, afraid I would get flamed/trolled and criticised harshly. But to my surprise, I was met with a lot of warm reception. Songstuff gives me a focus to produce lyrics daily, as there are so many lovely people on the site that I can be sure will check out my work and give it a good amount of critique and that excites me. It gives me Kicks!

• 2 months later...

Letting other people hear your songs can be scary, playing them at open mics can be helpful, but then you have to sit through hours of songs about cats and angsty hate poems screamed over an out-of-tune guitar until its your turn to play and most people have already left.  

At Songstuff.com you can listen and let others listen as much or as little as you are comfortable.  I wish I knew about this community when I first started over ten years ago.

• 4 months later...

I've been hesitant to write a testimonial because I figure I've got this one shot to try to explain what I've been doing for the last eight years here on Songstuff.  Seems like I should have posted before now, I think I tried but deleted the posts, or maybe I posted one already and don't remember.  In any case, one thing is certain, I can ramble on...

I came to Songstuff with one lyric and no idea how to arrange it into a singable work.  I knew some terms, (verse, chorus and melody), but didn't have a good understanding of how these thing fit together.  I didn't play music and hadn't done very well with piano lessons as a child so that was an issue as well.  I knew words.  I had been building hooks all my life and singing them when no one was around.  Maybe, if I knew you well, I would sing without thinking about it but I never took any of it seriously. 

I did write down poetry in my twenties and shared some of those poems with others, but when I look back on them, I see I was writing lyrics.  I somehow understood the theory behind writing stanzas.  Of course, none of them had a refrain or chorus, just a bunch of verses.  So, that pattern is what I came here with.  My verses were different lengths, the meter was inconsistant, it had no real chorus, but I liked it.  You might even say I cared about it.  I cared if it worked or not, if the images were clear, and wanted to know if anyone who understood songwriting thought it was any good.  So, I posted it in the lyrics section and received some very good feedback.  I tried to use those critiques to edit the lyric and ended up putting it aside because all of a sudden, this huge creative wave started building up behind my pen.  I couldn't stop it.  I was writing a lyric a day, using all this information that was available.  I wrote hooks, and chorus' and melodies started coming with them and I was actually writing lyrics that could be sung.

Man, that was an exciting time.  A lot of production, and even some colaborations with musicians I had met on Songstuff.  For the first time, I actually heard one of my lyrics being sung with music along with it.  What a rush!  I teared up.  I loved writing lyrics, and hearing them was what it was all about.

I could stop now, but that wouldn't be the whole story.  For years I had this Seagul S6 acoustic guitar sitting in the closet.  I would pick it up from time to time and play until my fingers hurt, maybe play for a week, then put it away again.  Whatever, I had other interests and I found it wasn't easy to play so I would put it away for however long again.  But somewhere along the journey of writing lyrics and colaborating with others, I started feeling like I really wanted to present the lyric like it was written.  They all came with melodies, I just needed to figure out how to put that into some kind of strumming pattern and sing.  Easy right?  Well, about three years ago I picked up the guitar again and this time I set my goal very low.  All I had to do was play it everyday.  Didn't have to write a song, or even make the playing song oriented, I just had to pick it up. 

Today, I can honestly say that I still am working at it.  I play everyday.  I don't know a damn thing about music, or chord progressions, or even what chord I'm playing, that is if I'm even playing a real chord, but it doesn't matter to me 'cause I got these words that want to be sung.  I enjoy the process.  I enjoy songwriting.

And that's it.  That's the pill.  I came here wanting to learn what a chorus was and tonight I'll go home from work and sing one. 

Thanks Songstuff, and all the members who've contributed to my creativity over the past eight years,

McNaughtonPark

• 9 months later...

The Songstuff forums have been an excellent source of feedback and advice for me for the last few years. There are tons of talented folks here who really do know what they're talking about. Whether it be in tweaking lyrics, music or finding help with your mix/sound, your music is bound to benefit from your involvement here. One of the coolest things about this place is being introduced to some of the outstanding independent music here as well. So be sure to look around, and check all of the forums out. Even if you're just creatively blocked or looking for some encouraging words to get you back on track with your songwriting, this place will have your back!  Songstuff is the one stop spot for everything that rocks! And please don't let that totally cheesy closing sentence dissuade you from checking it out! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • Noob

This site is fantastic! Really helps foster authentic interaction between fellow musicians and our fans. People are really trying to interact here. Great to see!

• 3 months later...

I joined this forum a bit back, expecting just another forum.

I dug up a great community instead!

In doing so, I've improved a TON of my works, and even though I joined doing this as boredom, I've started considering seriously going into music because of Songstuff!

Legit!

• john unpinned this topic

Archived