Your Ad Could Be Here

Is Rock Music Gone?

Addressed to no one in particular...

If you think some "kind" of music is dead, then to you perhaps it is.

If you think some "kind" of music resulted in the demise of some other "kind," then to you perhaps it has.

I imagine it would feel terribly limiting to always think of music in terms of genres/categories.

:thumbdown: Just say :no1:  to LazyThink!  :thumbdown:

If you think some "kind" of music is dead, then to you perhaps it is.

If you think some "kind" of music resulted in the demise of some other "kind," then to you perhaps it has.

Wen know we are all individuals, but its nice to communicate sometimes.

Good communication means being open to others ideas and being flexible with your own.

Wen know we are all individuals, but its nice to communicate sometimes.

Good communication means being open to others ideas and being flexible with your own.

Did you read the line in my post that preceded the two you quoted? I stated that my comment was "Addressed to no one in particular..."

I'm very open to the ideas of others and said nothing to the contrary. In fact, that was the whole point of my interjection; thinking in terms of Seventies music or Nineties music, funk or punk or reggae or soul, people from the west coast or east coast... is divisive in nature, and limits the exchange of ideas. It's certainly less flexible than what I suggest, which is to discard the categories that enable ---and encourage--- us to be lazy in the way we think about things.

I partially agree Skylark, but majorly disagree.

Why one shouldn't stick to their beliefs? (especially when the belief is based upon understanding of facts and evidence?)

Why one shouldn't stick to their beliefs?

Of course everyone is free to stick to any belief they choose, no argument here (although the very idea of *sticking* to a belief smacks of inflexibility).

I invite you to expound on what you "majorly disagree" with, neoism. I'd like to hear what, exactly, I said to which you take exception. :)

Edited by Skylark

I find myself coming full circle in my playing and reject the ageism.  I've done the blues, rock, funk, jazz, things separately.  I find myself playing/writing music that would seem rather dated to the public.  Classic Rock. 

Last year as every year my town has free concerts in the park.  It's mostly cover bands and the bands are great.  I saw a young country rock act that really took the cake.  She wasn't Katie Perry she was playing rock standards country standards and a few of her own songs.  I couldn't remember a song of hers to save my life.  But I promise you if she was doing the bar circuit she wouldn't have gotten many gigs if at all.

Also last summer I went to my sisters town where they have a huge free music festival mostly original folk singer songwriters.  Those songs were very forgettable, and I was more content to walk the streets and check out the shops rather then give anyone more then a two song listen.  In retrospect I may have liked a few of the songs but not loved them and If I bought a cd from the artist it would have been more as a means to support the concept of independent musicians then for the song itself.

I don't love new songs anymore.  I just like em or don't and like isn't enough for me to buy them.  Yet buying material is what keeps the independent artists alive then anything else.

In regards to the riaa industry.  I wouldn't want to be successful I couldn't afford it.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100712/23482610186.shtml

I've known major players with gold records who were scrounging to feed their families.  A perfect example is Joey Mazolla of Sponge.  Joey had worked and now works again at a music store I've frequented for ....the last 30 years.  The stories he told of what the major label did to kill the act would shock you.  He makes more money going on reunion tours with other acts as a back up artists or teaching alone then he ever did when he was playing stadiums and appearing on talk shows.

Today as consumers of music we have too much selection for listening be it soundcloud, bandcamp, reverbnation and youtube then anytime in history. But people would rather spend their time on facebook then surfing for new music.  And.... soundcloud, bandcamp reverbnation et all are more filled with...needy musicians in search of recognition then people actually seeking out new music to listen to.

If you want to survive making music you have to be a marketer first.  Go out glad handing the public and the bar owners every day.  Develop a cult around you. In many ways it's like being a con man and putting yourself aside to stroke the audience.  I like people too but I can't be the used car salesman. You look great, you should really come out and see us at XXX and bring your friends. Thanks for coming out.... it's you that makes the show possible.  etc etc.

Rob

I agree with stats and facts that KISS, Rush, Maiden, Motorhead etc are still doing huge gigs with a flooding amount of audience.

How long are they gonna live? 5 years? 10 years at max? (Lemmy is excluded from that approximation although)

It is not coming from the younger generation. Whatever new music under tag "Rock" I have heard has never been as appealing as the old ones(or maybe i haven't explored the right ones). It might be good at first go, but afterwards it just loses its charm. Maybe that's just me again.

Can't die. Not yet anyway.

Because I ain't dead yet

:worship2:

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this but since I'm guessing all interested people here like rock, I thought I'd post it. One of the newspapers I work for did an article on a Rockumentary that's coming out about Rock music in the 70's in St. Louis. The article is pretty good but I posted it also just to help others be aware of the video itself. It's a safe link, I promise!! 

http://tinyurl.com/mc63al6

Did you read the line in my post that preceded the two you quoted? I stated that my comment was "Addressed to no one in particular..."

I'm very open to the ideas of others and said nothing to the contrary. In fact, that was the whole point of my interjection; thinking in terms of Seventies music or Nineties music, funk or punk or reggae or soul, people from the west coast or east coast... is divisive in nature, and limits the exchange of ideas. It's certainly less flexible than what I suggest, which is to discard the categories that enable ---and encourage--- us to be lazy in the way we think about things.

Skylark,

You think I misunderstood you.

I think you misunderstood me.

I am trying to advance the conversation.

I agree with you about the limitation of lables, but if you are to discuss anything you need terms of reference. Otherwise we may as well just drink wine and silently smile at each other.

:hippy:

Mike said 

I don't love new songs anymore. I just like em or don't and like isn't enough for me to buy them. Yet buying material is what keeps the independent artists alive then anything else.

I think this may be the most pertinent comment of all concerning marketed music.

If you place marketing over creativity as a driving force you will get something blander. You are unlikely to get something to love.

• 3 months later...
  • Noob

Pop music always was more requested, especially among teens, so it's pretty natural I guess. There was a time when there were lots of awesome new rock bands around. Today, with old those stupid hipster rock bands, the popularity of rock music is going down, but it doesn't mean that rock is dead. We'lll just sit there and wait for new ones to come)

Rock music as such has been gone a long time.  It evolved into modern country. 

Tibet?

I recently got replies to 'has rock music gone' as being started by me, but cannot remember that at all...and its ages since I logged onto Songstuff.  If, and if I remotely started this or caused the present guy I just saw to continue this...well, since joining I have become a record label CEO....and as such, talk to the radio stations....and promoters......from what I hear and see, there is a big movement to play old rock favourites, and some companies are taking out licences with artists to re-sell old rock CD's and manufacture them on new labels dedicated to rock stuff gone by...and they do well.  One doesn't hear much of new rock bands hitting the ' Internet itunes thing of a top 200' and rap has its own scene where successful artists like Professor Green and Eminem really have a stronghold with many others outside the money pot simply hoping to get a look in and do what's known as 'mixtapes' offered up free to gain 'respect' and the attention of a well known artist to mention them or feature them.  Pop wise I find an awful situation of what can only be termed as the 'Contemporary thing' where wannabees want to sound like others! because they must be 'street cred' and don't want oldies to influence their music, because as one said ' it ain't my music it was good then, but I want the drum sound changed, and the piano because I can't relate to that sound, its not our sound'......yet they'd all like funding to be unconditional to allow them to do what they like....so long as the label picks up the tab for any losses.....which of course I don't do.

Get a room guys.  :lol2:

Seriously though Dave, that was a kick-ass post. It made me change the direction I was heading with a song I'm working on. Here's something I've come to realize if you're considering a rock CD. Who is your REAL audience. Sure, the 25 and unders no longer purchase CDs but honestly, that was really never my intended audience. I'm aiming for the folks who did used to buy CDs and are still inclined to buy them because they remember them and love them and enjoy pulling the book out and reading through it... and appreciate rock music. In my old decrepit age, I don't really care to please everyone.

Thanks man!

Randy