Your Ad Could Be Here

Writing Titles

Yesterday I took a class with Motown songwriter, Clay Drayton, and he offered up a great tip for coming up with song titles.

Next time you're in a conversation with someone, listen carefully to what they're saying. Don't just listen, but listen for titles. He had us do an exercise where we would speak to the person next to us for 2 minutes, while that person listened and wrote a list of all the titles they heard from the first person's conversation.

You'd be amazed by how many song ideas you can get from that. And once you have a title, you have a central focus for your chorus, which will get you going for your whole song as well... cool stuff. If you incorporate it into your every day life, you'll be flowing with ideas... smile.gif

• Like 1

Yeah that's a good one , also signs on freeways , there everywhere if you're tuned in. Not a real good idea to write a song while driving though.

Yes talking to colorful people usually have a few good titles in them. Always good to carry a small notebook, Or Iphone to type them in.

Though I very seldom use any of them, it's good practice.

Edited by nashvillecal
  • Like 1

http://nashvillecali...sic/be-the-one/ I like short titles, This one some guru, said I forced some ryhmes , i told him you need to listen with your heart instead of with music rule book, he said touche after it got picked up by publisher, them gurus aren't always right / Off base , the shorts ones are the best , People will remember them better with short title hooks. Basically most people don't know a chorus from a bridge , they either like it or don't peroid. On a side note, if you let love wreck or save your world, and live to tell about it , You'll get your title. Edited by nashvillecal
  • Like 1

Hi

I must admit I do it all the time, not just for titles, but for ideas for lines from conversations I have, mostly with colleagues in the office.

It must be quite disconcerting though when my eyes glaze over and I reach for a post-it note to scribble something down and all the time pretending I am still listening..... 'uh yeah, oh really, oh right.....' It's very bad manners - but I do believe that yesterday's conversations are tomorrow's lyrics :)

Regards

Jan

• Like 1

It must be quite disconcerting though when my eyes glaze over and I reach for a post-it note to scribble something down and all the time pretending I am still listening..... 'uh yeah, oh really, oh right.....' It's very bad manners - but I do believe that yesterday's conversations are tomorrow's lyrics :)

Haha... that's great. Love it, Jan! :luxhello:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I here your songs its good.First need to say something as music seekers are likely to see the title of the songs.if your title is too short and sweet seekers are likely to see the songs. to create a title better to you have conversation with someones to create a title.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great topic. Good pointers :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Exellent topic, Anthony. :) I really like that exercise Clay offered up.

Other great sources (for title/hooks as well as song ideas) are newspaper headlines/articles.

Two others - that I've made extensive of - are the sites postsecret.com and dearoldlove.com, especially during the FAWM and50/90 songwriting challenges. Absolute treasure troves. ;)

Donna

Edited by DonnaMarilyn