Your Ad Could Be Here

PHP. Whats that all about?

Hi Steve,

Who knows about this PHP stuff then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know a bit about it. Of course, John might be more fluent than I am (I don't practice).

PHP is a script language. It means that once a PHP page is processed, it will appear as a normal HTML page for the end user.

I have made a response form for my site and I've got a script to go with it from the net but I don't know how to implement it?

Provided your provider (where your pages are stored) has a PHP server up and running, there's nothing specific about PHP page implementation. You just put it on the server like any HTML page.

If your provider doesn't offer PHP, then there's no way you can use your PHP page.

Where does the script go

A the place specified by the documentation that should go with it. Inside a *.PHP page anyway, but this can sometimes be more specific (specific directory, etc.).

and how does the response form communicate with it?

Without knowing all the details, that's not really possible to answer your questions.

Didier

Yeah John's your man there....PHP has been superceded in the commercial world by technologies such as JSP, Struts and JSF....but still popular on smaller scale sites....so I can't help you dude...

Of course if you want to get a Tomcat server up and running then I'd be only to happy to help.

BS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve

I just found this. Are you still interested in php? Here's a little background info.

Basically Didier has the right idea. The name seems to have a variety of meanings, one of the most common being Personal Hypertext Programming.

Websites tend to want dynamic content. This means that instead of every element of a web page being decided upon when the programmer creates or edits the page, it is generated when a user browser requests the page. This can be anything from an individual image, such as a banner advert, to an entire website.

Technologies are divided in several different ways, but there are only two you really need to be bothered about.

1. When the programme you write is interpreted: Is it script based (typed text is interpreted when the script is executed), or it is compiled code (typed text is interpreted at time of writing to create the file to execute)

2. Where it is executed (run): Client-side (on the computer where the browser is running) or Server-side (on the computer where the web site is hosted).

Php is very like the programming language C++, in terms of syntax, but Php is a server-side scripting language. It is used to create and or manage dynamic content (i.e. changing content). It is not the only language that can do this however it is currently one of the main ones. In many ways it has replaced Perl for this purpose on web sites.

If you open the php file with notepad there are often comments within the file that give you a clue on how to use it.

I take it that your form is standard html, and your script is intended to interpret the form fields and maybe mail them to you? If so'll need to give me a bit more info. The main thing is whether it is a collection of functions which can be called from another php file or if the php file is intended to be called as a function itself.

If you are unfamiliar with programming languages, send me the php file(s) in question and I'll let you know.

If it is a file that can be called like a function, you will need to add the url to the file to the action statement in the form.

If it is a file full of functions, you probably need to write a php file to call those functions. The url to the file you write would then be added to the form action field.

As far as resources go for existing php scripts try www.hotscripts.com .

What exactly are you trying to do?

Cheers

John

Who knows about this PHP stuff then? I have made a response form for my site and I've got a script to go with it from the net but I don't know how to implement it? Where does the script go and how does the response form communicate with it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can help you do some simple stuff if you want. I use PHP all the time.

Hey Steve

I

What exactly are you trying to do?

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am rebuilding my Flash website and I want to include a form for feedback. The form will have input text fields for Name, Email address and comment. I have found a tutorial on this very subject a few minutes agao so I may be able to sort it out myself now! I'll keep you posted. The thing that confused me was where to put the script? When I ftp my site I have a cgi-bin So I guess Didier is on the ball here.

Thanks guys I'll let you know how I get on... ???

I am rebuilding my Flash website and I want to include a form for feedback. The form will have input text fields for Name, Email address and comment. I have found a tutorial on this very subject a few minutes agao so I may be able to sort it out myself now! I'll keep you posted. The thing that confused me was where to put the script? When I ftp my site I have a cgi-bin So I guess Didier is on the ball here.

Thanks guys I'll let you know how I get on...  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Urgh - Flash ... Me no like Flash.

What's wrong with Flash Finn?

Flash can't be spidered by search engines, for dial up users it makes the site really slow and unuseable, there are still lots of people who don't have a flash player installed, not all browsers like it, a lot of it is unecessary filler to cover a poor site, it's harder to produce a dynamic site, did I say lots of people really don't like it... should I go on?

That said there are a few fun flash games, and it can be pretty good for tutorials etc. but a great deal depends on the reason flash is being used.

Flash can't be spidered by search engines, for dial up users it makes the site really slow and unuseable, there are still lots of people who don't have a flash player installed, not all browsers like it, a lot of it is unecessary filler to cover a poor site, it's harder to produce a dynamic site, did I say lots of people really don't like it... should I go on?

That said there are a few fun flash games, and it can be pretty good for tutorials etc. but a great deal depends on the reason flash is being used.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with Flash Finn?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What john said :P

Edited by FinnArild

Steve

I haven't downloaded the zip, but have you looked for an install.htm or txt file in the tutorial files?

Assuming you know how to do the flash bit (it looks pretty straight forward and the instructions are step by step) you will upload your php file(s) to your web site, upload your swf file with the alterations, including the path to the sendmail.php file.

For security reasons place the sendmail php files in an off web directory if you can. This means the send mail function cannot be accessed by anyone unless they go through your flash form. I say if you can, because it depends on several things. I'm guessing that this has to be in an on-web directory as the flash movie will probably use a url to access the sendmail (I don't know much about flash) as it is executed on the client machine, not the server.

I'll look into it a bit more to makew sure the security aspect is ok.

Cheers

John

Steve

I haven't downloaded the zip, but have you looked for an install.htm or txt file in the tutorial files?

Assuming you know how to do the flash bit (it looks pretty straight forward and the instructions are step by step) you will upload your php file(s) to your web site, upload your swf file with the alterations, including the path to the sendmail.php file.

For security reasons place the sendmail php files in an off web directory if you can. This means the send mail function cannot be accessed by anyone unless they go through your flash form. I say if you can, because it depends on several things. I'm guessing that this has to be in an on-web directory as the flash movie will probably use a url to access the sendmail (I don't know much about flash) as it is executed on the client machine, not the server.

I'll look into it a bit more to makew sure the security aspect is ok.

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha... ??? I didn't understand a word of that!...?