Your Ad Could Be Here

Lyric Writing And How It Can Act As A Form Of Release.

Hey Guys,

This is my first serious post within this forum. As I had previously mentioned in other posts I am currently doing my final year research project and it is based on how music can be used as a form of release from certain states of mind. Taking this for example.... 

This clip shows how Darden Smith used lyrics and music as a way to help soldiers defeat PTSD, my current research project challenges how this happens, and I am currently trying to gather opinions from the people behind the lyric writing, people who have been doing it for a while and have experience within the field. I am guessing people like you? 

I am currently needing a few people to fill in a survey which I have put together to challenge my hypothesis. It will only take 5 minutes of your time and will help me greatly. 

Once it has been finished and my final conclusions have been made I would be more than happy to place a link online for everyone to read. I'm hoping it would make a very interesting read for the people of these forumns!

Many thanks, hope you guys can assist me and I will be more than happy to help you guys out with certain things.

Regards

Dan!

Thanks guys!

completely forgot to post the link to the survey......

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lp4wvQ0j_mhiGaacQFer8wRKMrxNvWDCSeAcfcxnSac/viewform

here it is.

Hey

Good topic. I can easily see how it can be theraputic. During the hard times in my own life I've used music, especially song writing, as a way to express emotions and a general personal therapy of sorts to keep me on a more even keel. Music is great for helping those with mental handicap, or with mental health issues, alcoholism or drug addiction.

In the UK the biggest in this arena, without a doubt, is The Nordorff Robins Trust. I am sure similar charities exist in many countries. They are well worth checking out if this is something that you would consider volunteering for.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I've actually done a great deal of research into Nordoff and robins, some of there work is excellent. I've been looking into post war poets who used lyrics to get over there post war emotions. I found that really interesting. The whole concept is interesting. I'm tasked with writing 10,000 words on it so its a good job i find it interest ha. 

Pretty good to hear when other people aswell feel that it can be used as a means of releasing emotion.

Lythe23:

On a ;personal basis, I have had a few very, very dark periods in my walk of life.  I am NOT talking about just battling life's ups and downs...I am talking debilitating and life threatening dark times.  I feel very strongly that it was only through music (and perhaps it coupled with the right words from the right people at precisely the right times) that got me over those hurdles (a few times very, very long in duration)and moved me towards a sense of normalcy.  Music is what feeds me more than anything.  Interesting subject, and I will look at the survey later on in the day.  Thanks.

This is all helping me greatly to actually talk to people who have used music in this way. Its really interesting to see how music can effect everyone!

Thank you if you do my survey! I am in need of 20+ more participants unfortunatley! but its all shaping up nicely and bringing forward some great thoughts on the subject.

Writing songs has definitely helped me alot too. I think it's the focus and the release that writing can give ya. Like being centered on an action, like the flow Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi was talking about.

Have you ever looked into the benefits of singing??

I am new to writing lyrics and am finding the creative process rewarding.

Thanks for the clip, I can see how it was beneficial to the returning soldiers. I also think that activity based, side by side conversations are an easier and less pressured way to discuss real issues. I am not experienced so I won't look at the survey.