Your Ad Could Be Here

How Does My Poster / Cover Look?

ALK,

I find it a bit difficult to read. Maybe that will encourage people to look at it longer trying to figure it out? I'm not sure.

The crumpled paper effect doesnt appeal to me very much either. Nor does the choice of fonts.

On the plus side for you, I am so old and out of touch, that it probably means that its bloody brilliant!

Rudi

There's a zillion free fonts on the web so I'd suggest looking through them for some less-used fonts and ones that give a better feeling of what you're trying to convey. Here's a few.

Urbanfonts.com

dafont.com

www.myfonts.com

Also, when you're running all the words for anotherlostking together, you should really consider either changing the style (i.e. bold, thin, etc.), color or total font for the word "lost". It's fine to not use spaces, but it also has to be readable. 

Lastly is it for a poster or a cover? CD/Album/etc.. are square shaped whereas a poster is like you have it. You'll need to do two different versions if it is for a CD/album.

There's a zillion free fonts on the web so I'd suggest looking through them for some less-used fonts and ones that give a better feeling of what you're trying to convey. Here's a few.

Urbanfonts.com

dafont.com

www.myfonts.com

Also, when you're running all the words for anotherlostking together, you should really consider either changing the style (i.e. bold, thin, etc.), color or total font for the word "lost". It's fine to not use spaces, but it also has to be readable. 

Lastly is it for a poster or a cover? CD/Album/etc.. are square shaped whereas a poster is like you have it. You'll need to do two different versions if it is for a CD/album.

Well both fonts were downloaded from dafont.com.

I can easily cut the sides back to make it square.

And as for the name, I see what you mean. I should change the font for lost and king to give it some variation.

Doh!  :oops:

I guess I just didn't really like those fonts then :) Or at least both of them working together wasn't working for me. I'll say you're the better judge as to whether they match your overall style of playing, music and mood.

I think an ideal cover would be a photo or illustration of some cool-looking castle or castle ruins, and, either centered or in the lower right corner depending on the image, in a basic font style and a smaller font size that one can still easily read, would be a simple, and elegantly-understated "Another Lost King" - three separate words with only the first letter of each capitalized. I think that would kind of say it all in a tasteful way. There would be no need to indicate that it's "The Castle EP", because the photo/illustration and the product would speak for themselves, and I think it would be a cool creative choice to let them speak for themselves. That could even be your thing, and each subsequent EP from you could be distinugished by a different visual image connecting with the concept of a "lost king." Anyway, if using a castle image intrigues you, and I think it does because I think that's what this brick wall background is supposed to represent, stock photos and illustrations of castles and castle ruins (and just about anything else you can imagine) can be purchased online for use for a modest fee. Here's a cool photo of a castle that you can by online. http://www.123rf.com/photo_10672437_old-castle-scaligers-vintage-picture.html Here's a cool illustration of a castle: http://www.123rf.com/photo_10867005_wonderful-castle-on-a-hill.html

That's f*cking genius. Give me a minute to make a mock-up.

I would use something that looks a little more like a traditional castle (this kind of looks like a mansion), and I would also use a font that was much smaller and much less thick.  But, that's my personal taste.  I do really like this a lot more than the brick wall one. I guess better like it, since I suggested it!   ;)

I see.

The reason I used that image is because I wanted something I could edit enough to avoid image copyright laws.

Plus, I think it was advertising on a real-estate site, so the image wasn't copyrighted in the first place.

But you can never be too sure.

I will keep looking for an image that I can edit enough to avoid lawsuits.

So how about this?

F2AKKej.png

This one is better, far better.

This should be your rough but I can only speak on what I see here.

A bit too centered for my taste. 

Your kerning needs work. The spacing for the letters is not on, little tiny space adjustments really make a logo work or not work. This, text logo, looks pretty poor in terms of a pro level design. This is from my eye. I've been creating art graphics for many many years.

one thing to keep in mind. Almost touching vs space. It will give the viewer a better , i.e. easier to read feeling if you either connect all the lettering or give them all a bit of space. When its too inconsistent your eye just goes wrong. Most times folk can't tell you why.

Do some image searches for text logos, copy the work that stands out for you. Use those to compare to a feeling you want to give the viewer.

I like the name and concept, that is way cool

I like the art quite a bit. Your saturation and black and white levels could be better.

A hard and very picky critique I know. I hope that you don't mind.

J

Edited by Zson

I welcome all criticism!

As to what you said, what if I made every word in my name a different font?

And I was going for a dream-like feeling with that logo.

Did I do something wrong?

What exactly should I do to improve on that image?

Glad your ok with it.

Mixing fonts, is bad, mm'k.  :)  seriously, it just won't work unless you want it to read like a ransom note.

Dream like feeling....great...go for it.

Did you do something wrong. nope, not at all.

Here is what I would do to improve.

Search up the following:

1. How to create better text logos, that is what you are creating, its' a brand, a flag, a look , a feel.
  2. Award Winning Text Logos, images

Those two things should get your look up to the next level.

Your end result will really depend on what you are willing to do to deliver what kind of results.

You could go with what you have ....and be pretty low end as far as impact, creativity and design.

Or you can do a bit of digging and work up some designs that kick ass and engage the viewer. You could make heart stops with the right stuff. Nice eh? Wouldn't that do a lot to promote your goals.?

The music bus is very tough, the win goes to those who create impact. Your competition, the pros,  work at this and don't settle for less than the best.  The reason I say the pros is becasue they are the only one making the dollar. The space to be among those who make a living at this is limited for music, everyone is shouting out...me, me and me again.

Just things to keep in mind. I sure have to.

I've got music to play to the world. so? so does everyone else. Mine's the frign'n best....yeah, heard that, got the t-shirt.

See where this goes. It ain't pretty and it ain't fun, just sheer bloody hard work. As I too am finding out.

Take a look at this work group here for better information about how to make your goals work and find your dreams.

http://forums.songstuff.com/groups/1-songstuff-music-promo-workgroup/

I've never read or found better stuff than what John is putting up here.

Sorry I was so damn long worded.

I got a big one for anyone following this thread.

I have taken the feedback from HS, Zson, and Rudi in order to get my final product.
I decided to shorten the name of the collection from "The Castle EP" to just "Castles".

I went and looked at a gallery of album covers and got an idea for mine.

So here is my dream-like cover, completely complete.

oC2CQId.jpg

The second cover is much better. I like it a lot. Did you take that photo, or have permission to use it?

It was a (hopefully) royalty free photo. It looked nothing like that when I found it, so I think I could get away with using it.

It's like remixing music. Publishing a song under your name that you didn't make is illegal. But when you edit it enough, it is a remix.

What kind of music do you make? Specifically on this EP.

I think what you have could use a little work... and art is my profession... but I don't know what the cover needs to convey, so it's hard to advise....

I think I am going to go with some ambient club music or something like that.

Maybe with some jazz influence.

Definitely a mix of electronic.

The bottom font is okay, but the top font isn't really that good. I love the concept though and I can totally see what you're going for.

Did you look forward through the thread to the other two designs?