Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi Will,

Interesting topic. I've run into this problem before, and ive tried a few different things. Sometimes, I'll take a verse from another song that I have in progress and fit that verse into a different song. You'll have to re-write a few things to make it fit, but it can help.

Also, I'll often times just sit and play the verse progression on guitar and sings random words to the melody. If I happen to sing something that I think is worth keeping, then I'll build the verse off of that. That's usually how most of my stuff gets written in the first place, but I know a lot of people hate writing like that. Anyway, maybe that helps you out a bit. Just keep working at it, and best of luck!

-Michael

• Like 1

Hi Michael, Thanks for the tips.. I have used a verse from another one of my songs before.. I find it funny how some songs write themselfs and other make you suffer..LOL. I always like the ones that make you suffer more.

I really enjoyed your Untiled song on soundcloud and Born Free..

Here is the link to my soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/william-mayos

Thanks

Will

Good topic. For me I'm like stova.I tend to take a look at some notes I put down for other stuff.but mostly I keep playing it in my head. Funny thing is. At times my second will be better and change the whole song. I most times get a melody in my head and run with it.I write on emotion. Lyrics is where I suck so the whole process is at times a pain for me.

Good subject tho

• Like 1

Hi Tom, I also sing the melody out when I'm looking for the words. I often find, I have said all I want to say in the first verse and chorus.. I feel like I am rambling on a bit in the second..

What do you guys think about those songs, where the first verse is repeated?

For example

Oasis - Rock and Roll Star

Oasis - Live forever

I don't mean if you like the song or lyrics, more how a song flows when written this way.. Do you think it is lazy writing?

If you have other examples, please let me know..

Tip – write verses.  You can arrange them later.  You can decide later which ones to keep.  You can even cut two or three of 'em apart and splice them back together to make one verse that is a "keeper."  You might even be asked to make a version of the song that is shorter or longer than another one.

Creative-stuff usually doesn't "just pop out, tah dahh, fully-formed."  Even when someone shows you a final-draft of a famous song that's written on a legal pad ... you'll never know what was in the nearby wastebasket!  :D

• Like 1