Your Ad Could Be Here

The Guitar Show (Show Yours)

wish I had all of them still with me over the years , little over a year ago , I was broke into and some of my nicest where stolen , really sucked , the equipment that was taken was no big deal , it sucked but it was only equipment , but you steal a guitar , it's just low !! call them my  ol' friends cause .....they don't talk back , they don't take hours to get ready , , they don't have a shoe fetish , they don't crash your car ( whole other thread !!) they don't ask if they look fat in these jeans, and they are always fun to be around !! 

Here's my Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster. The vibrato on this is really nice. Adds great warble and is perfect for surf style instrumentalls. The clean tones are stellar.

100_3305.jpg

Most recent addition is a Bass VI. More of a low tuned guitar than a bass.

IMG_1872.jpg

Tom,

I used to have one guitar. A 335 that I saved months for while in high school. Bussing tables picking up odd jobs. I really really wanted that guitar. It was my only guitar. I developed a drug addiction later on. When I came clean I poured myself into the guitar. Friends left me, my family disowned me and getting by was a hand to mouth existence. But the guitar was always waiting for me.  Eventually life got better. I got better paying jobs, I went back to school and I started gigging again with a fusion band and was even called in for session work at a local recording studio. One night I was setting up for a gig at a local bar.  I grabbed my brand new fender stratocaster and princeton amp in from the car.  When I got back to my car the Les Paul and 335 were gone.  (Yes I locked the car) I was shattered. To this day I cannot own another 335.

I've owned over 100 guitars in my life.  I've had one car break in and two house break ins Currently I've got 10 guitars and four midi guitars. I can't love another guitar like I loved that 335.  Even though I play much better now then way back when. She was my first, she was my rock.

Man Gary, You sure have a wide selection of guitars there.

The Bass VI must come in real handy for Glen Campbell tunes.  I was thinking about that the other day as transcribing for soloist guitar (fingerstyle) is a hobby of mine (not one that I'm very good at it)

Yeah, Mike. It nails that "Whichita Lineman" solo. I'm trying to incorporate it into my band for a more modern sound. Something like "Pictures Of You" by The Cure. Haven't gotten there yet. But because it is so different, It is great for coming up with new song ideas. It's a whole new way of playing guitar. Every songwriter should own one.

That's the way I feel about my ztars.  Unlimited tuning possibilities, unlimited midi instruments and once you get used to One handed playing it free's the other hand to mess about with different parameters (especially on the baby) with the other hand.using the buttons and knobs.

i dont think im rich enuff to post anymore in this thread....

I've still got a bunch of cheapo's and a few others to go.  Besides just because you may not have a guitar or another guitar to post doesn't mean you can't contribute in other ways.

Edited by TapperMike

yo tapper, I had one like that , was stolen a year ago ,little over, and funny love some of the toys, but had her for over 30 years, she seen the world with me , think she slept with more girls then I did even !!lol, funny how we get , I mean even my dog couldn't come that close to that !!in fact I asked my mum if she had pics, I have a few but she bought it for me , .she is checking ,

good stuff!!

parkerp44.jpg

This is my Parker P44

It was made by Cort in Korea for Parker (which is now owned by washburn)

It is not made like US versions (carbon glass fretboard, stainless steel frets, bonded graphite, neck thru) The neck is considerably thicker (though still highly playable and comfortable) then the american version.

It is a one piece mahogany body with maple neck and ebony fretboard. With two "Duncan Designed" humbuckers. It features mono and stereo out with a switch on the back so you can choose either left piezo right electric or stereo piezo and electric.  On the magnetic pickup side there is a standard three way switch as well as a volume and tone control.  The tone control is a push/pull for the coil tap.  The Piezo has a simple volume control.  There is a three way switch for the piezo and magnetic pickups Piezo - both - magnetics.

The tremolo system is not the same as on American parkers. Instead it features a standard 5 string trem with brass saddles.

These were a great deal new and are a remarkable deal used yet becoming more rare.  It has a very "classy/ritzy" tone about the thing yet misses some of the umph of it's American counter part (Supremes) or even later P44 "Pro"

I bought it new "old stock" from a dealer on ebay.  It arrived... Perfect!!. No neck adjustment no intonation no string height adjustment. The strings lay flat over the frets without fret buzz.  It's stayed perfect.  Usually when one gets a guitar new even set up at a store the neck has a tendency to bow within the first 6 months to a year.  Not this baby.

The trem is extremely stiff but maintains tuning without need for locking nut or locking tuners.  I've thought about loosening the trem from time to time as I prefer the way my strat plays with only three springs.  The comfort foam cover on the trem arm is also a nice feature.

post-8508-0-63033100-1400412465_thumb.jp

Edited by TapperMike

gallery_8508_169_123915.jpg

This is another one of my ...not really a guitar guitars.

It's a Z6 circa 2000

It doesn't have half the features of later z6's.  Unfortunately the prior owners did not treat it well. and I've done some dumb things to it that I regret.

Note my complaints below do not reflect Starr Labs.  I've played other z6's of the same vintage that were well kept and play well.

It's a 24 fret "button" guitar with string triggers, ribbon controller and joystick.

It has a 32 zone system (just like my babyz) which allows one to draw any rectangle on the fretboard and assign it up to 32 midi channels (left right) or assign different midi functions at the touch of a button. It has conventional midi out and midi in as well as ports for a sustain (midi) pedal and an expression (midi) pedal.

The neck is considerably thicker (think rounded gibsons or gretsch) and wider then any guitar I own. Yet still surprising easy to play for me. The equal fret spacing was a little adjustment (a few days) to get used to but now I have no problems with it.  It's Heavy (not like the new ones)

There are plenty of things wrong with it but because I can still find some uses I keep it around.

Prior owners unscrewed the back and they didn't put all the screws back in they messed with the wiring for the buttons that sit along the top horn (not visible) so my octave up/down buttons and various other cool buttons no longer work. (at least I can still adjust the internal programming)

They prior owners also tore up the string sensitivity screws inside the unit. Which means I can't adjust the string sensitivity.  Some of the strings don't work and others are too sensitive.  The threads for the screws that hold the strings in place are shredded. which means I can't adjust the tension on the strings)  Some of the buttons no longer work properly due to something getting in under the fretboard and blocking the contact points.

Here's an older and somewhat embarrassing video of me playing the Z6

Edited by TapperMike

Here's my Samick Greg Bennet Fastback

samick.jpg

The fastback was the predecessor to the current Avion models.  It is a very nice "LP" type guitar that I picked up for 300 new old stock.

The story goes that Gibson approached Samick ant threatened suit because it was too much like a les paul.  Honestly I think the newer Avion models look more like les pauls,  It's a 24.4 scale length and with an ebony fretboard, The neck is smaller in height but there is enough thickness in the width of it to feel a comfortable wrap on ones hands.  It has one volume and two tone controls and a simple three way toggle. It has a mahogany neck and body with a very nice thick maple cap. The action is extremely playable but some of the frets have crapped out above the 12th fret.

I've had it for about 10 years now. And pull it out when I want to play a rock standard with a les paul tone. It's very playable especially for .those with smaller hands. It also looks right for those of shorter stature and in general just "feels" right.  The back lower bout offsets the wieght nicely and while it's not a Les Paul in weight it doesn't feel like a flyweight guitar. I've played it out for friends (fellow guitarists) who loved the tone but chided me for the shape of the guitar.  The soft lines have a feminine quality.

Okay I'm sure we still have some guitarists who haven't posted.  Don't let me steal the show.

Wow, thanks for sharing Rob

The only guitar that I ever sold to a pawn shop was a JB Player.  An american made first year of production frankenstrat type model with a neck thru construction and a Kahler trem.  Later the company's name was sold to a japanese investment firm and they started making cheap bolt on knock offs. Now I think they only make cheap acoustics.

I'd moved to florida with a little bit of money saved but I wasn't surviving very well. The pay scale was beneath any level to actually live (at first) so I hocked it to cover rent (and got a dime on the dollar for what it was worth)  While I've traded up for guitars that was the last one I simply sold.  I also stopped trading guitars eventually.

There is something magical when the right well made guitar reaches the hands of a player who can bring out the most in it. Ir'a like the guitar was made for them.

Buying guitars at pawn shops is another matter.  Once the money started flowing in I'd go to pawn shops once a week and sometimes buy up to two guitars at a time (I was living carefree with lots of spending loot)   After a while I stopped buying "any" guitar because I thought it looked cool and could play it and started focusing on guitars I could love.   I've backtracked through the years on that one.  Which is the problem with online purchases. As much as you can read about guitars and watch videos it's not the same as playing them.  Even under the best circumstances buying online is a crapshoot.

Well, here is some of it.  My go to guitar is the Fender Tele Deluxe that I bought in 78 and has never left my possession since.  The Am. Std. Strat I bought new back in 2011.  Though I hate buying guitars off of Ebay, the Ric was purchased a few years back, as well off of ebay.  I saw it and fell in love with it.  Actually it looks far better than it sounds.  My go to acoustic is the Martin HD 28V.  Love it.  It never leaves home.  I also have an old Washburn and a Taylor 214CE black, not pictured here.  Both the twin reverb and boogie amps are gone.  The twin just got too heavy to lug around and the boogie I could never quite dial in.  I traded for an egnater rebel 30 and a princeton reverb (both not pictured here).  The pedalboard is pretty current, except I swapped out the ts 808 hard wire for the vintage reissue shown.  I also swapped the tc delay for the mxr carbon copy.  Otherwise, it is the same.  Love this thread and love seeing these great guitars. 

post-8815-0-48194800-1400523326_thumb.jp

post-8815-0-17187100-1400523342_thumb.jp

post-8815-0-82655000-1400523352_thumb.jp

post-8815-0-05277100-1400523470_thumb.jp

Man, that's a nice rig.

The tele might be a good heirloom to pass on to your grand children.  I'd just be concerned that they don't make a wall clock out of it not knowing what they have.  

DSC_6587.jpg

loads of gorgeous & unusual guitars here since i last posted!

OMG that cherry red gibson sg in that pink case is just hideous !! how could you tom? 

wow the parker guitar looks like the inspiration for the bent marvel guitar i posted here in my birthday disaster thread!

ive got a jackson ...its the most expensive guiatr ive ever had (£400) & its so cheaply made im quite disapointed with it actualy :cursing:

that blue rickenbacker is just gorgeous! :drool:

now i cant compete with all these fantastic guitars so i ll tell you a story.....

that big gretsch guitar tom collins had stolen..... well when i was young i said i wanted a electric guitar & my mum & dad bought me one... it looked like that gretsch i dont know what it was but i didnt like it it was soooo big  nearly as big  as me so i said to my brother could we cut some bits of of the body  & change the shape ....so he did ....trouble is we didnt realise as it was hollow it would fall apart!!   so he nailed some bits of wood in to hold it together!!

anyway it ended up looking like a guitar neck stuck in a flower pot with a few nails sticking out ...but it worked ok & i realy learnt on it & it certainly looked different !!

so i  mention this bcos it started me on decorating guitars...i couldnt afford the expensive ones you guys have so i did this to cheap guitars

anyway the only 2 digital photos i have are these 2 ....the 2nd one i made up a original body shape ....im sure you wont be impressed but its all i can contribute

http://fluffychicksmall_zps7871f3d7.jpg

http://devilbirdsmall3_zpsa5a61cec.jpg

I used to hang out at a bar that would love to hang those guitars in it.  Everywhere you looked there were "re purposed" guitars. The entrance had a cheap flying v knock off as a door handle.

That case has got 70's exploitation movie all over it.  Like a prop from Shaft of Foxy Brown.

936full-pam-grier1.jpg